Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A.o.D.

Single map: Powerplant.wad

Hello, and Happy Halloween.

Allow me to introduce myself by offering a map for you to play on.  It's called POWERPLANT, and features a mostly OSHA-compliant hydroelectric dam for you to stalk the halls of.  Most of the effort of making the level was put into visual aesthetics.  Whether or not I was successful I leave for you to decide.  I've included a few screenshots to help you decide whether or not to play it.  You'll need the DOOM2.WAD to play it, and I've tested it to work with ZDOOM and GZDOOM.  Other than a few slopes and colored lights, it doesn't feature much in the way oddities, and reflecting my skill level, there is absolutely 0 scripting in the map.

You can download the map here:  https://t.co/WZy6ahn4kC

The file is POWERPLANT.ZIP, and includes the .wad file, and POWERPLAN.txt.  This single-player map features custom music from the original X-COM/UFO game, but no other custom assets.  Freelook and jumping are not required, but they will not break the map if you choose to use them.  Standard difficulty levels are supported, and the difficulty ranges from Walking Simulator to Semi-Slaughter.  I leave it up to you to decide what you want, as this map was mostly an exercise to see if I could make something that looks good.

As far as gameplay goes, don't expect anything you haven't seen for the the past 20 years.  There's no meta-commentary or really anything resembling innovation.  You're shooting demons in a place for reasons that mostly don't matter.  This is exactly the 2nd map I've ever completed.  Thank you, and enjoy.

Screenshot_Doom_20181031_174903.png

Screenshot_Doom_20181031_175003.png

Screenshot_Doom_20181031_175222.png

POWERPLANT at 2018.10.31 18-04-22.876 [R2787].jpg

The imps and mancubi placed in the elevated platforms in this area are stuck (in HMP at least, I don't know about the other difficulties). This obviously turned the encounter into a joke.

1wE86hb.png

I think the map itself is rather neat though, I especially like the lighting.

Not a bad map, I didn't beat it but it was cool.

Really not a fan of those stairs that have the guard rails in your first screenshot, just doesn't look right to me. A diagonal custom texture would look much better.
Do you or did you happen to play Killing Floor 1? That room in which the first archvile teleports in is really reminiscent of a map in that game. (This room is also WAY too dark IMO)
Also missing textures in that room with 2 chaingunner monster closets and the revenant closet.

Screenshot_Doom_20181106_144608.png

11 hours ago, KVELLER said:

The imps and mancubi placed in the elevated platforms in this area are stuck (in HMP at least, I don't know about the other difficulties). This obviously turned the encounter into a joke.

1wE86hb.png

I think the map itself is rather neat though, I especially like the lighting.

I'll double check this in HMP.  They're supposed to be released when you cross a certain linedef.  I deliberately gave you the option of ignoring them at first because you can end up with a rather hairy fight later.

9 hours ago, Bushpig2dope said:

Not a bad map, I didn't beat it but it was cool.

Really not a fan of those stairs that have the guard rails in your first screenshot, just doesn't look right to me. A diagonal custom texture would look much better.
Do you or did you happen to play Killing Floor 1? That room in which the first archvile teleports in is really reminiscent of a map in that game. (This room is also WAY too dark IMO)
Also missing textures in that room with 2 chaingunner monster closets and the revenant closet.

Screenshot_Doom_20181106_144608.png

I'll fix that when I integrate the map into the mini wad I'm working on.  I don't know how I missed this, so thank you.

As for that room being too dark, I did provide a light amp for you to find.

Bit claustrophobic and disorienting on some spots but not bad map at all. Insteresing lighting and nice opening area. One thing i want to say is try to avoid this texture transition:

572141413_POWERPLANT(editarea)at2018_11.0720-19-51.546R3039.jpg.6cad22c79194f4bb513e4b2f56934ccd.jpg

It's looks uglly and noobish. Try to use "smooth" transition instead. Something like this:

478054044_POWERPLANT(editarea)at2018_11.0720-20-21_111R3039.jpg.144ba477f09bad80e4ad234c7a827e9f.jpg

What i mean is when two textures didn't connect smoothly use some additional texture to connect them.

Skyboxes are pretty cool, and not at all difficult to implement, now that I've taken the time to figure it out.

Drmq31GV4AIksoK[1].jpg