Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

The greatest video game of this decade so far

Admittedly, I haven't played through a lot of modern triple-A video games, as my computer hasn't been updated since the release of the Orange Box. I don't really care, as there are not many modern big releases that interest me that much outside of The Dark Souls series, The Yakuza series, and Cuphead. I did consider upgrading my computer just for Yakuza 0 alone, but apparently, the PC port is very buggy. Cyberpunk looks amazing thus far, but I digress.

The four video games I've played through this decade that stand out the most in my mind are Undertale, Portal 2, Papers, Please, and Crimzon Clover. And of those four, I think that I probably like Undertale the most. 

Undertale one of the most endlessly creative games ever made. It's sweet, thought-provoking, brilliantly written, brilliantly designed, and has one of the greatest video game soundtracks ever composed. Undertale is this decade's GOAT. It's spectacular work of art that gives me hope in humankind. 

Edited by Ajora

For me, it'd have to be a tie between DOOM '16 (obviously) and Ori and the Blind Forest.

I'm definitely missing something with Undertale. I know it has this clever branching narrative and how you can defeat the game without killing anyone etc., but I tried it and just found it super boring.

Cue Undertale rant: 

Spoiler

I put a few hours in and found it an utterly generic 8-bit J-styled RPG. The graphics were generic. The level design was generic. The dialogue was full of just super obvious jokes or was otherwise just dull. The bullet-hell combat idea was fun, but it got kind of tedious to have to do again and again.

I turned it off and have never had any interest in loading it back up. I guess chalk it down to just not getting something everyone else does.

On topic though, my game of the decade would easily be Bloodborne. It just does so many things right.

Edited by Bauul

Still Doom 2. Team Fortress 2 close second.

16 hours ago, Ajora said:

Undertale is by far and away one of the most endlessly creative games ever made, as well as one of the greatest video games of all time period.

I haven't see or played Undertale, but Chrono Trigger is very long, deep RPG and it really touched me. I would say it's best game ever made or at least one of them and every gamer really should play it. My first playthrough took 43hours (by in-game time counter). I haven't played anything of this decade games.

Just now, Antnee said:

Binding of Isaac.

I'd probably really enjoy that game if it weren't for its visual aesthetic. I really loved Super Meatboy's gameplay, but I found something about its art style to be kind of dreary and depressing, and because of that I didn't complete all of its optional levels. 

Minecraft. I can't fucking play it without a million (combat) mods tacked on, but it's pretty clear that the game is a massive game changer on the level of Super Mario Bros. and Doom.

Undertale is pretty great yes. But to be fair, if you dig deep enough you can find other RPG's that did similar things better and earlier. Planescape Torment comes to mind. That game has characters so well written, I couldn't finish my evil playthrough. Because it involves the player character doing some seriously evil shit, and npc's react to it in a way that you can taste the pain and suffering. I see Undertale like a reigniter for narrative driven RPG's, not as the be-all-end-all of narrative RPG's.

Fine... then FTL.

We all know the answer is Minecraft.

Edited by geo

Man that's a tough question. Without question it's the indie titles that offer a nice creative breathe of fresh air, value for money and the most innovative. Minecraft is a game changer (is it this decade?).

I'm going to nominate Dying Light strictly for game mechanic purposes. I really don't like its story, characters and tutorials. It's the best most fluid first person mechanics although not perfect. I maintain Doom Eternal has taken some inspiration from the game. I.e. chain leap, sideway dodging, wall climbing.

Doom 2016  is the best shooter of this decade imo. If Dawn of War was released this decade it would be the best rts.

Amnesia is the best horror / terror despite it not being my flavour of games.

I really can't say what the best is. It's too subjective.

Come on, guys, no love for the precious "shovel knight"? This game is sweet as a candy. (Though, I wouldn't say it's the best game of the decade, but for me it definitely holds quite special place, music, sprite work, fluent and solid controls, everything is on point.)

tenor.gif?itemid=9278428latest?cb=20180531131024latest?cb=20180315173423

I've given this some thought over the day and checked out my full list of games I've beaten. From 2010 to 2018, my answer would have to be Doom (2016), but with the caveat that I've not played The Witcher 31 yet, none of the Assassin's Creed2 games, BioShock: Infinite3 or any Saints Row4 or Batman: Arkham5 from this decade yet, all of which would have potential to unseat Doom, I'd say. Doom does shooting and mobility incredibly well, creating an exciting experience, whilst also telling a story through text and world building very well... But it is quite a focused game. Something that does more, but to a similar standard, would stand out to me as the better game, I think.

Forza Horizon 4 seems to be the best racing game and GTA 5 is probably the best game that isn't a dedicated shooter or racer.

Honourable mentions go to Red Dead Redemption6, Mass Effect 27, Serious Sam 3: BFE8, Wolfenstein: The New Order8 and Resident Evil VII: Biohazard9. I'd also like to shout out Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition for being my favourite game-resurrecting port and Leisure Suit Larry: Reloaded as my favourite HD remake so far.

1 It's meant to have been an instant classic, but I've got to get through the other two first

2 I'm thinking either IV: Black Flag, Brotherhood or Revelations have a formidable enough reputation that, if they capture what made Prince of Persia: Sands of Time fun, they could be awesome

3 I've liked the previous 2 and people say this is the best

4 Saints Row 2 is incredible, IMO and probably rivalling GTA 5

5 Arkham Asylum was spectacular, so if any of them are at least as good, there's a contender

6 Unseated by GTA 5 for being an even better and more involving open-world story game

7 Better than Mass Effect 3 due to ending better

8 Unseated by Doom (2016) as best shooter(s) I've played

9 I was going to say Alien: Isolation, but it went on too long, which reminded me how much I liked this

For me, it'd probably be Postal Redux. Yeah, it's just the original Postal (Plus Super Postal and the Special Delivery expansion pack) remade in UE4, but it still has a bit of some new stuff added.

Gonna plug path of exile. I've spent thousands of hours on that. Best arpg since diablo 2 hands down. Also going to give stellaris a big thumbs up. Incredible 4x game. 

doom!! :3

ejem

of this decade..................

minecraft, this game learn how a game can be so good with a great gameplay

1 hour ago, joepallai said:

Minecraft--it proved once more that it is gameplay that matters most.  

The exception is never the rule. I think the key to Minecraft was creativity above gameplay.

4 hours ago, Doominator2 said:

Either Minecraft, Dark Souls or GTA 5. Each one of these games being a unique innovation in the industry 

What's the innovation with GTA 5?

Doom2016 is an obvious one; but what else comes to mind?

Had you asked me a year ago I'd probably have placed Overwatch on this list, but I've grown very bored of that; so it's not going on.

What DOES stand out in terms of (very) modern releases is Octopath Traveller. It's taken everything I love about RPG's and placed it into a single game. The overall presentation of the game is very beautiful, the gameplay is incredibly refined, the music is memorable, and (so far) the stories are engaging. :)

9 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

terraria

Seconded'd. I'm afraid to even look at my hours played...

Leaning towards DOOM 2016 for me. I've probably finished that game nearly a dozen times now. Most other modern games I play (unless they are retro-oriented affairs, like Isaac) are one-and-done experiences for me.

I also got sucked into Breath of the Wild, so that would be in the running for me as well. Unlike a lot of other modern titles, I'm getting the urge to do another playthrough soon. The first one I did last year left a pretty big mark on me.