Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aquila Chrysaetos

Eagle Mapping Project - Final (Now on idgames)

@Aquila Chrysaetos

Do you have a particular plot (or plots) you wanted the maps to follow? Or will this be like a focused version of DWOP, where you can submit just about anything?

In the same vein, do you have a particular length your targeting (short, long, anything)?

No. Pretty much anything goes, here. As long as some of the assets are used in the play/visual space somewhere, it's submittable.

Whether it's a 30 second map or 30 minute map, it's fine, just make sure it's balanced and difficulties are implemented.

And plots in Doom are stupid. We don't need those here. ;)

Also, all three skies are replaced, so feel free to play around with sky transfers to use them.

Welp, took a swig of your map, and I must say, it left quite a nice aftertaste, these textures/palette are neat for sure. I might even participate, since the map requirements are almost non existent. Just one question, could we suggest or add additional textures/sprites? For instance, all black texture would be quite handy.

Textures, yes.

Sprites? Maybe. Depends. I'd prefer the monsters and weapons stayed the same, but the obstacles and decorations can probably be changed a bit.

I'll likely be lenient for item sprites, too, as long as we don't go too crazy.

Man, after 4 months hiatus, it sure is quite tough to map, but yeah, I'm totally in. Already made some small progress, I think instead of my previous 50 minutes long horrendous monstrosity of a map, which I submitted during another community mapping project, I will go with something compact and neat this time. 

eagle.png

BioRenegat thought it appropriate to make some new keys for us to use.

eaglekey.png

They look pretty sharp.

For right now, they're still called "skull keys," but I'll fix that with a more substantial update later.

Excellent! Glad to have everyone aboard!

I want to announce that now that we have enough mappers, if someone would like to take slot 07 (the only slot I'm reserving for now), then let me know here.

Here's version 1 of my map, Hellish Reverse. I tested it using GZDoom Builder. Let me know if it works in strict Boom, or if any changes need to be made.

It is one of the hardest maps I have made, despite not being too long. Hopefully the gameplay is fun. Let me know what you all think! 

eager.zip

Screenshot_Doom_20181105_095053.png

Screenshot_Doom_20181105_095057.png

oof if you had actually @ed me I would've known about this project earlier :/ I will see if I can make something, maybe both maps and midis.

Hey I'm pretty keen to give this a go. I'm a fairly amateur map maker so I'll give it a shot and upload it here once its done. It wont be a huge, complicated map because I simply wouldn't have the time and skill to do that for a community project but I'll make a small, condensed experience and hopefully you'll like it, if not its understandable, my map making skills may not be up to par for this project, but I'll give it a crack!

Dropping my map now, it's in the map12 slot, I only put it there for the hell of it not necessarily because I want it to be there. It currently has no custom music since I didn't find anything I really liked for it.

G0TpKUA.png

cuV7mT6.png

xwByQQe.png

NDAM47n.png

I tested it with Gzdoom and Glboom+

DreamState.zip

@obake

eager.lmp

GLBoom+ 2.5.1.5, UV, FDA, complevel 17

I like the gameplay over all, it plays nicely and there's room for monsters to move about as the closets open.

I found the rocket launcher secret, but not the other.

I would like to suggest making the locked doors wider by about 32 units so the monsters can more easily navigate through and chase the player. I feel like that would improve the maps end.

About the aesthetic, I feel a lot of the walls are a little bare, so something like broken out sections or pipes or computer teminals embedded in some of the walls would make them look a little nicer.

It's good, I like it.

@obake

@NoReason

@Pegleg

@BioRenegat

@WindbagJacket

@Garbage

@Bushpig2dope

@Bdubzzz

I'm considering the Demolisher from Realm667 to replace the Mastermind for this project, because I think it would make a more interesting boss monster and hopefully encourage its use.

However, we'd need to change an existing enemy to make it properly, so I'd like you all to vote on it.

1: Leave everything as-is (that is, no custom monsters)

2: Create Demolisher and use the cacodemon fireball for the BFG shot, and modify the cacodemon to use baron fireballs.

3: Use the arachnotron plasma for the BFG shot, and make the arachnotron a chaingun spider like in Mayhem 18 Purple.

Obviously for maps that use 'trons or Masterminds, they might need a tad reworking (I can do that, if need be), but I feel the result would be worth it.

Let me know what you think.

Edit: Also, the last version of the resource wad crashed PRBoom on load because of a typo in the ANIMATED lump.

Fixed version is up.

Second edit: Comment here on what you think we should do about this for the vote.

For clarity.

Edited by Aquila Chrysaetos

Well, the way I see it, if we are going to actually replace spider mastermind with the Demolisher, then the best way to do it is by trying to change other monsters as little as possible, since some of the mappers made quite a huge progress, or even already finished their maps. So, considering all these options, I think replacing arachnotron with the chaingun variant is too much big of a loss, since we are losing really important archetype - he is the only monster with ability to shoot projectiles without stopping, allowing to create some really unique encounters with it. On another hand, giving cacodemon hell knight projectile will be not that drastic of a change, since the enemy still will act in the same fashion. In fact, to accommodate for 50% damage and speed projectile boost, we can just decrease hp of the cacodemon, making it much more balanced (hell, maybe just completely make entirely new enemy, with different sprites, like grells from the mayhem purple). So, yeah, I would vote for the second option.

(Ps, since I will be probably the one to actually work with the dehacked (if, of course, we would decide to change these enemies in the first place), I also propose variant of giving Demolisher instead of additional BFG attack just something simple, like, for example, barage of arachnotron projectiles, this way we don't actually have to change anything at all. Just something for all of you to consider)

I'd go with @BioRenegat's proposal, I like the arachnotron and the fact that it can put pressure on the player that's still avoidable, whereas if you give it a chaingun it's just making the mastermind smaller and weaker (which I guess is fine if you want to remove the mastermind entirely but that's not the point). As for cacos, I would prefer if they remained the same as well for various reasons but mainly just to keep things simple.