Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Foodles

Doombuilder 2 visual mode "laggy" movement

I get this thing when using doombuilder 2 where when I move around in visual mode the movement is very stuttery, i.e. it's not the smooth movement you'd expect similar to when you're lagging in an online game and you warp around all over the place. Sometimes it's barely noticeable and sometimes its unbearably bad. Just wondering if anyone else has this problem and if there's anything I can do about it, my PC should certainly be able to handle doombuilder. I'm using Windows 10 if that helps.

Does it go away if you move the Doom Builder window around (i.e. go to window mode from full screen and then drag the window around even just an inch)? I get this in many Windows programs. I think it's a bug since Vista.

If that doesn't fix it, a restart of your PC should.

10 minutes ago, Foodles said:

I get this thing when using doombuilder 2 where when I move around in visual mode the movement is very stuttery, i.e. it's not the smooth movement you'd expect similar to when you're lagging in an online game and you warp around all over the place. Sometimes it's barely noticeable and sometimes its unbearably bad. Just wondering if anyone else has this problem and if there's anything I can do about it, my PC should certainly be able to handle doombuilder. I'm using Windows 10 if that helps.

DB2 has a bug where due to a timing fault it's movement gets more and more imprecise the longer your computer has been on. DB2 is no longer in development so it won't be fixed there, but DBX does which you should use instead

20 minutes ago, Antnee said:

Restart your computer.  Don't shut down, don't log off, restart. 

Totally immaterial. The timer will be reset in either case, but reboot is the safer option.

Even when Foodles does that, DB2 will again start to be more imprecise as time goes on. The only logical solution is, as Edward850 already suggested, to use DBX, which does not cause that fault. Or, if one wants more editing features besides the GZDOOM features, GZDBBF.

9 minutes ago, Kappes Buur said:

Totally immaterial. The timer will be reset in either case, but reboot is the safer option.

It's not.   I am telling you with 100% certainty, that a reboot fixes the issue but a shutdown does not.

I shut down every night- every once in a while I have to reboot to fix the issue.  There was an older Doombuilder forum post that covered the specifics, but it's long since deleted.

And I agree that an upgrade is the ultimate solution (although the reason I use it is that DB64 is based on DB2, no choice there)- but OP if you haven't, restart.

Edited by Antnee

At least Windows 10 doesn't really shut down if you tell it to shut down. I shut mine down last night and powered it on this morning, yet I have over 8 days of uptime. I guess the timers are not reset in that case.

That's exactly right, and why a restart solves the issue.

They've also rolled out this new "feature" where if you had any apps open when you shut down, most of them re-open as you power on.  So I'll have a youtube video blasting in the background before I'm even logged in!

Windows 8 had a similar system, where shutting it down wouldn't actually reset everything. You can deactivate it in W8 (don't know about W10, but I'm guessing it's the same) but I remember it being kinda hard to find.

Aside from the above (very sound) advice, it could just require lowering the draw distance (in the Preferences menu). Visual mode in DB is pretty taxing as there's nothing like a BSP to only draw the things you can actually see. Unlike a game, it draws everything.  If you have a lot of custom textures, streaming those in and out of memory (especially if you have limited RAM) can cause slow down too.