Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arl

PBR and Parallax maps for vanilla Doom Textures.

4 hours ago, Mynameislol said:

It has not been worked on since the last upload, what you find here is what's done.

Also, I would like to help I just need to learn how. If anyone here or you could help me out that would be nice, but I’ll try to figure it out myself in the meantime. 

On 10/29/2018 at 2:24 PM, xanrer said:

I see, sorry to hear. For newcomers at this can you tell us what programs you used?

There really isn't any single way to create PBR textures. I personally use Substance designer and photoshop. Quixel is also popular among some. Technically you could even make PBR textures in MS paint if you wanted, though the end result would probably not be ideal.

Edited by hardcore_gamer

@franksouza183 I think your shots would look better without whatever effect you're using (is it chromatic aberration?). I makes everything look wobbly and distorted.

6 hours ago, KVELLER said:

@franksouza183 I think your shots would look better without whatever effect you're using (is it chromatic aberration?). I makes everything look wobbly and distorted.

sorry, lens distortion, I love that. Still missing some textures. I'm working on the BD64 mod, using the doom 64 retribution maps, since they're in UDMF, I'll add more detailed design and rearranging the dynamic lights to something more realistic, and without so much unnecessary haze (in my view, of course). I'm also adding more detail to the maps and using sector lights as little as possible.

Spoiler

UK1vzCC.jpg

Spoiler

btm74Ef.jpg

Spoiler

u5ov6a1.jpg

Spoiler

CFi0WlN.jpg

Spoiler

u4zP5gL.jpg

Spoiler

HZqYtax.jpg

Spoiler

PxHBxFj.jpg

Spoiler

wVJercQ.jpg

Spoiler

yaPDFM7.jpg

Spoiler

ufx5d47.jpg

@franksouza183 Wouldn't it be a better idea to put this in a separate thread? It's likely to get more coverage that way, and it doesn't really fit in this one anyway.

On 5/1/2018 at 11:52 AM, Lila Feuer said:

Dear Satan nothing will ever look that ugly.

As ugly as your comment?

On 10/28/2018 at 5:37 PM, Mynameislol said:

Pretty much dead.

See, I was afraid of that. It's difficult enough to build these textures, without a bunch of people claiming that it's a waste of time. I've been trying to explain that these artists and developers need support, encouragement, positive reinforcement, and pretty much anything we have to offer, if we want their efforts to pan out, and their hard work to pay off.

I, for one, really respect your efforts, and appreciate everything you've accomplished. I really hope you continue - the results are simply amazing! I'd be doing it, if I could (I can't draw to save my life).

On 11/3/2018 at 2:11 AM, kb1 said:

As ugly as your comment?

See, I was afraid of that. It's difficult enough to build these textures, without a bunch of people claiming that it's a waste of time. I've been trying to explain that these artists and developers need support, encouragement, positive reinforcement, and pretty much anything we have to offer, if we want their efforts to pan out, and their hard work to pay off.

I, for one, really respect your efforts, and appreciate everything you've accomplished. I really hope you continue - the results are simply amazing! I'd be doing it, if I could (I can't draw to save my life).

I think the same, and fortunately I think I got enough encouragement in this thread so far, what I'm in need of is free time.

I'm still working on this, but very slowly, and until the end of the year this situation does't looks like changing.

On 10/31/2018 at 12:51 AM, franksouza183 said:

image.png.1a1180e3d8094af5b43095f06d117f06.png

Whoa, the spacing on that metal texture is almost synced up with the scroll speed of my mouse wheel; with that lens distortion, it makes for a pretty trippy effect as I scroll past your post.

5 hours ago, Arl said:

I think the same, and fortunately I think I got enough encouragement in this thread so far, what I'm in need of is free time.

I hear you, loud and clear. I'm in the same boat - there's only 24 hours in a day, and, sometimes I manage to fit some sleep in there too.

5 hours ago, Arl said:

I'm still working on this, but very slowly, and until the end of the year this situation does't looks like changing.

Work of this caliber is worth waiting for!

On 11/3/2018 at 6:11 AM, kb1 said:

As ugly as your comment?

She's right though, Unreal Engine Doom looks ugly as fuck, no need to sugar-coat it, franksouza183 and Arl's works look cool though.

20 hours ago, Arl said:

If you give your priority to episode 1 textures i can make a compatible dynamic lights for your work so we could have something on our hands that simulates final product.

Still only problem on my hands is the fact that gzdoom dynamic light render goes through closed doors. And i still couldn't find a way around it. My best shot was displacing inside of the door to somewhere else in the map when the door is closed but so far everyone told me that its impossible.

Since it seems that POM is reaching GZDoom, I'm starting to do some testing with it:

Spoiler

esHuKDv.jpg

7VwLQQK.jpg

fllzh3g.jpg

I guess another type of texture is going to be added to the bunch: Alvedo, Normal, Roughness, Metalness, AO and now Heightmap.

Edited by Arl

2 hours ago, Arl said:

Since it seems that POM is reaching GZDoom, I'm starting to do some testing with it:

Hide contents

esHuKDv.jpg

7VwLQQK.jpg

fllzh3g.jpg

I guess another type of texture is going to be added to the bunch: Alvedo, Normal, Roughness, Metalness, AO and now Heightmap.

Awesome,  I've been waiting for Pom for so long :) I'll try this with the neural upscale 2x one day !

I sure wonder what a low res height map without any texture filtering would look like. Sort of like voxels protruding out of the surfaces I guess?

20 hours ago, Arl said:

What we need is doom maps, on top of that, so you can shrink yourself and play through the indivdual textures of the level, for optional side quests (with required side-gravity). No level would be complete without at least one Cyberdemon per wall. ;-)

Joking aside, real nice work. Seems to work best in the darker areas, and more so for tech than organics:

4ObnSDA.png

^spooooge!

Concerning sprites: If good heightmaps were created, filling in the original sprite outlines in grayscale, those could probably be used to generate more meaningful normal maps than trying to use the original palette values for sprites. If there isn't some engine limitation stopping sprites from taking part. Would be a massive undertaking nonetheless, requiring hand-modified heightmaps for most things I guess. At least it seems theoretically feasible, I don't know of any artists that can hand-paint normal maps directly...

The high-res PBR (& 3D model adding stuff) don't excite me personally.

4 hours ago, Arl said:
  Hide contents

Early results.

Good to see that you've found some time to work on this, i wish i could've been more useful in helping, but i just couldn't make out the shape of alot of the textures

While I'm no real texture artist, maybe this tool will be helpful to you guys.

Can generate Height, Metallic, and Smoothness maps from the Diffuse, Normal from Height (or Height + Diffuse), Edgemaps and Occlusion Maps from the Normal (or Normal + Height in Occlusion's case), and a Normal Map from the Height as well.

Has real-time previewing and even lets you see how they will tile (although Doom's textures are so small that might be tricky).

Is there some trick to get this to load? Simply dragging the pack over the executable doesn't seem to work...

On 11/24/2018 at 12:57 PM, Arl said:
  Reveal hidden contents

oczzKtB.png

X9sQDom.jpg

ZjKqLyS.jpg

e6KMyVt.png

Nr5zqKi.png

KjdCz4k.png

Early results.

Oh, wow! unbelievable, and gorgeous!