Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hidfan

Doom Neural Upscale 2X [v 1.0]

3 hours ago, hidfan said:

HellBaron1X2X4X.jpg.9b78132dcfe5a356343c81180621efdf.jpg

Those look awesome!  I like the middle one best I think, it still maintains the pixelated look.  The third one drifts just slightly too much into the oil-painting look that many upscales fall into. 

8 hours ago, elend said:

Great work as usual! When will the pixel optimizing start? :p

When everything has been converted :).

And when my wrist will stop being painfull. First pass of cleaning Archvile's masks was a 6h mouse painting marathon.

Fun fact I discovered its original masking has been a bit rushed.(I dont blame them, it's so much work and doom2 came so fast !)

The first frame of the death anim even has fingers of whoever is holding the miniature in front of the camera :D

7 hours ago, GoatLord said:

I'd like to see a Doom 64 version of this...

Not by me :)

On 11/3/2018 at 7:25 AM, GoatLord said:

I'd like to see a Doom 64 version of this...

What might actually be more feasible/cooler, and which I'd love to see, is if someone recreated the monster source models and then re-rendered them at a higher resolution, and possibly with more animation frames. 

38 minutes ago, Gifty said:

What might actually be more feasible/cooler, and which I'd love to see, is if someone recreated the monster source models and then re-rendered them at a higher resolution, and possibly with more animation frames. 

Oh yes <3

version 0.7 is available

+ArchVile (I hate that thing, too many frames)

+effects

+Chaingunner mask

Solo game is completely upscaled !

excepted those first resurect frames of Archvile dont work :( those named /1 /2, etc.. I named them  ^1 ^2 (photoshop didn't like that when batching : Vile^1.png became Vile..png, Vile^2.png became Vile.png.png and Vile^3.png disappeared..scary !).

Can anyone help me fix this ?

Next :
-Player

-Clean Masks : Shotgun, lost soul, cacodemon, bosses

-Clean font

1.0 : bug fixes.

+additional frames as suggested, maybe look at smoothdoom

Edited by hidfan : removed obsolete link

Oh god, oh god. This + SmoothDoom and my life is complete. Thank you so much for your efforts, it's looking better than ever.

@Teder : oh ok !
I then make a mini wad like you did for the stepfix, by deleting everything else ? and I put it in the pk3 as well ?

@hidfan You don't need to do it. I just renamed sprites in Your pk3. So just rename sprites with "^" to "]" and that's all. I did it in SLADE editor.

Version 0.8 is available

-Masks cleaned for Shotgun Soldier, Lost Soul, Cacodemon

-ArchVile resurrect is still bugged.

@Teder : the [ and ] frames are already existing, and theywork fine, it's the \ frames that are posing me problems.
-if I rename them in the zip/pk3, it moves them to a subdir (Vile\1.png ==> \Vile\1.png), if I do it in slade as you say, it works, until I save the pk3 (and then it's the same \Vile\1.png folder problem).

Edit : I've looked into your screenshot and you have the frames named ] present twice ?

@Sgt Nate V : I don't know if it's a problem ? isn't the mancubus lighted when firing?
I don't modify this flashing behaviour with my files. I'll check and investigate, thanks.

Edited by hidfan

2 minutes ago, hidfan said:

@Sgt Nate V : I don't know if it's a problem ? isn't the mancubus lighted when firing?
I don't modify this flashing behaviour with my files. I'll check and investigate, thanks.

By flashing, I meant that it kept flickering at a certain pace. If you watch the video again, you'll see the front frames repeatedly disappearing and reappearing.

Front frames of the fireballs, I mean.

22 minutes ago, Sgt Nate V said:

Front frames of the fireballs, I mean.

Oh yes, I see it now, sorry I've read too fast.
I've found the problem, frameB was invisible. thanks !

4 hours ago, hidfan said:

@Teder : 

Edit : I've looked into your screenshot and you have the frames named ] present twice ?

@hidfan damn, You are right :D

I'll watch this archvile again.

EDIT: ok, now I see

EDIT2: almost done :) it took me almost 1,5 hour.

Edited by Teder

Ok, here is the fix for archvile:

Download arch fix.pk3.zip 

Arch fix.pk3.zip

1. Delete zip extension open arch fix.pk3. 

2. Open NeuralUpscale2XForDoom2_v0.8.pk3 and delete decorate.dec.

3. Put decorate.dec from arch fix.pk3 to main directory NeuralUpscale2XForDoom2_v0.8.pk3

4. Delete archvile directory in HIRES directory (HIRES/MONSTERS DOOM2/Archvile)

5. Copy from arch fix.pk3 ARCHVILE directory (SPRITES/ARCHVILE) to NeuralUpscale2XForDoom2_v0.8.pk3 SPRITES directory.

That's all. I hope it will work for you all fine, cause I'm in middle of night :)

This how it works:

Screenshot_Doom_20181112_020942.jpg.111830032f36a0bf3876e5590ca8e66c.jpg

I am a little surprised at how well this technique seems to be working. I think we can pretty safely say that using existing neural net technology, plus touch up work by a good pixel artist, an "id-quality" 2X sprite set is now achievable. (I think 2X is about the limit of useful detail anyway, since it's still a retro sprite based game.)

@Linguica I was impressed by this work when I saw the textures for the first time. At that time @hidfan had no time to upscale sprites, but now we got almost everything. I'm even thinking about to stop working about sprites for hires Honey16 Doom remastered project :)

I agree.  So many hi-res projects over the years have lost the essence of the original sprites, but these seem to maintain them pretty well.  They still feel right, including being a little pixelated (which I think is important).  Some do require a manual touch-up to remove the "oil painting" vibe a few of them have, but it's much less than many other hi-res attempts.  Overall good job!

Edited by Bauul

Thanks for the help @Teder  and @Honey16 !
The fix is working (it arrived just in time, I was compiling version 0.9 :)
0.9 is uploading, link will come when I wake up in 3 hours.

-added Player (Additional rotations are ready but not incorporated)

-fixed ArchVile rising dead

-fixed mancubus flashing fireball

-fixed shotgun guy cyan background pain frame

I thought everything was converted, but I forgot EndBoss box :D

There are some really nice algorithms showing up for slowing down video. I wonder if it could be used to generate a 16x rotation set and twice the motion frames?

40 minutes ago, Bauul said:

So many hi-res projects over the years have lost the essence of the original sprites, but these seem to maintain them pretty well.  They still feel right, including being a little pixelated (which I think is important).  Some do require a manual touch-up to remove the "oil painting" vibe a few of them have, but it's much less than many other hi-res attempts.

Yeah, Doom has a certain "lo-fi" aesthetic from the relatively crude ways they got their artwork. Many of the sprites and some of the textures have apparent digital noise from their original source as a scan or video camera screencap, and almost every upscale method discards this ineffable feeling that it imbues the artwork with. Through the mystery of neural networks plus a good aesthetic sensibility it's possible to retain that lo-fi mood while still greatly increasing the visual fidelity, which is exciting.

25 minutes ago, Linguica said:

Yeah, Doom has a certain "lo-fi" aesthetic from the relatively crude ways they got their artwork. Many of the sprites and some of the textures have apparent digital noise from their original source as a scan or video camera screencap, and almost every upscale method discards this ineffable feeling that it imbues the artwork with. Through the mystery of neural networks plus a good aesthetic sensibility it's possible to retain that lo-fi mood while still greatly increasing the visual fidelity, which is exciting.

Interesting note about noise! I wonder if it may help sometimes to add some minor noise before the neural upscale? Great work here and gives me hope about doing it for other 2.5D games.

version 0.9
For DOOM 1 - 60Mo
For DOOM 2 - 87Mo

Edited by hidfan : removed obsolete link

Pretty damn cool. This + smooth doom might be neat, too.

edit: i see that's already been discussed. rad.