Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SOSU

Every possible theme using IWAD textures?

I have been thinking recently,what are all the different possible map themes which can be made while only using vanilla IWAD texture (from any idtech game)?

The ones I got so far for Doom 2:

Spoiler

Techbase/Spacecraft

City/Industrial

Hell/Gothic

Cave/Outdoors

Made the themes a bit more general for now,after a while I will add specific themes

And here for Heretic:

Spoiler

Medieval city

Castle

Cave

Water temple

Hell-y looking 

Egyptian-y looking

Ship

Graveyard

You can double or even triple the themes by combining 2 or more with each other!

Please add more themes you can do with IWAD textures down below!

Edited by SOSU

Think bigger mate. You can make an oldtyme military base that has some scifi modernization. Or a temporary techbase in a forest with old ruins, lots of trees, stone structures and the occasional techbase "mobile home".

City can be done, but the assets are limited. There are no posters, other objects like in Duke3D. You - for example - can't make a fast food restaurant, a supermarket, a hotel, a gas station, a cinema, an adult bar etc. within' Doom. The monsters also don't really belong to that theme.

The bests are: techbase, canyon/nature, castles, hell.

I would also add Industrial for Doom 2. It's neither techbase or Urban (city), imo. Hell also fills a wide variety of themes (marble, ruins, stone, temple, lava, organic, 'library')

On 11/13/2018 at 7:02 AM, Nancsi said:

City can be done, but the assets are limited. There are no posters, other objects like in Duke3D. You - for example - can't make a fast food restaurant, a supermarket, a hotel, a gas station, a cinema, an adult bar etc. within' Doom. The monsters also don't really belong to that theme.

All of those can be done with stock textures. Caco Bell is a recent example of a fast-food restaurant. Even an adult bar is doable -- imagine a stage, sector detail chairs, and a 'stripper pole' made from one of Doom's silver-colored textures. The monsters don't belong? Nah, that is a perfect spot for some hot archvile action. 

47 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

If that's the case, then just set up a matrix, like so:

Now I'm very intrigued by ideas like "natural library" and "industrial temple."

1 hour ago, rdwpa said:

The monsters don't belong? Nah, that is a perfect spot for some hot archvile action. 

Oh baby!

@TheMightyHeracross Adding theme combinations to the list would make the list gigantic,by just adding "unique" themes it can be much more compact (though I will add a line in the list just for your combined themes idea)

That's going to be hard, no combo-themes.

You'd think that after all those years, people would already have figured out all possible themes with native assets.

Are you allowed to make new textures with the vanilla patches? Because if so, applying vines to different walls gives you some interesting options imo

Apart from that, I personally think you can do pretty much any theme with vanilla doom2 textures, provided you accept a bit of weird approximation (which you should, because the themes "built in" to the texture set are already weird approximations).

This thread is a treasure trove of new map inspirations! Cave-Base? Hell-Cave? Hell yeah!

4 hours ago, Marcaek said:

i wanna see more evil temples in SPACE

I want to see more space flesh.

6 hours ago, Not Jabba said:

DUSK Ep3's first level is basically going to be an Industrial temple.

Going Down is probably a useful reference point here, as it does some awesome themes with stock textures (demonic asshole, fever-dream cube farm, underground gladiatorial arena).

On 11/14/2018 at 3:33 PM, Pegleg said:

If that's the case, then just set up a matrix, like so:

image.png.dfacb15b433e28b334b4837d37a1034f.png

Admittedly, some combinations work better than others and many of them are very similar to each other.

heh, i scribbled a matrix like this on paper as i couldn't post from work, but yours is much better.

On November 13, 2018 at 6:02 AM, Nancsi said:

I made an attempt at a vanilla resource city and found that I was able to imply a courthouse, a prison, a supermarket, a suburban neighborhood, a park and a hospital, despite the limited props and lack of decals. It's about good use of the elements and pushing the boundaries on that abstract/realistic balance.

Even the stereotypical Doom theme, "techbase", is more than one theme. Because there are several techbase texture families, and you have the molded space plastic of STAR, the unadorned concrete of GRAY, the dirty concrete of ICKWALL, the shiny metal of SILVER and SHAWN, the rusted metal of METAL, the weathered blocks of CEMENT, and so on.

Likewise, for the other stereotypical Doom theme, "hell", you have marble, wood, flesh, red rocks, corrupted tech, etc.

On jeudi 15 novembre 2018 at 1:21 AM, Not Jabba said:

Sunlust MAP30 comes to mind for industrial temple.

You're all thinking small fry.

The obvious answer is to combine every official game's textures into one mega-texture IWAD.

Can't wait for my Gothic Industrial Chex Quest Spaceport.

On 11/16/2018 at 4:29 PM, Gez said:

Likewise, for the other stereotypical Doom theme, "hell", you have marble, wood, flesh, red rocks, corrupted tech, etc.

The interesting thing about "hell" theme in doom is that in the iwads (even when you're unambiguously meant to be In Hell™) it mostly meant wildly clashing textures, including vines, bits of techbase, glowing gold rock... Our "classic" hell themes (wall-to-wall rockred, wood, marble, etc) were basically invented later by pwads imo.

Well... I guess e4 did pretty much codify the wood/metal theme, but it's debatable how hellish that theme is, or is supposed to be.

One of my acquaintances made an interesting discovery while trying ZDoom in Doom mapping out - though it is only his subjective opinion, but he thinks that pasting the texture STONE6 on a floor makes a decent "desert-y" landscape. So... this might qualify as a "legitimate theme" as well.

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 12:58 AM, rdwpa said:

All of those can be done with stock textures. Caco Bell is a recent example of a fast-food restaurant. Even an adult bar is doable -- imagine a stage, sector detail chairs, and a 'stripper pole' made from one of Doom's silver-colored textures. The monsters don't belong? Nah, that is a perfect spot for some hot archvile action. 

Everything can be done, but it will look ugly, like said map you linked. Computer screens instead of price list and whatever screens that belong to a fast food restaurant immediately cries amateurism. Texturing is also bad in that map. Sector detail chairs and other stuff also look artifical and ugly, only usermade stuff use these. Stock textures can be used for many things, but city stuff doesn't belong to it (at least not something with believable interiors), Duke is your best bet to play and make good city themed levels. For example it had proper fast food textures and sprites in the Duke Burger level.