Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
htyuro51mastah

What wads are underrated?

It was more a suggestion to perhaps make a meaningful contribution to an already existing discussion instead of starting it anew. :)

The most recent ones are pretty dead though, with a handful of replies each.

Regardless, don't let me stop you. :)

Nicolas Monti's wads are pretty awesome. Erkaitanne (I have no idea how to write that lol) received a Cacowad, but Mano Laikas and Witness of Time are also awesome, and both didn't get much attention. I haven't played his earlier stuff, though.

Agreed hard on Monti's wads. Love all of the stuff he's released since Eviltech.

I'd throw in Urania and Good Morning Phobos too. Those too are like Plutonia and TNT but much tougher and with much bigger levels. Fantastic megawads.

Mars War

Some TimeOfDeath's maps . (Degrassi , Cassie Steele...)

Archi's stuff is generally underrated imo. Although more people seem to be taking note of how good Rush is now.

He did get to take a bow in DWIL a few months ago, so that may have helped.

Wasn't there a discussion about the best WADs that hadn't won a Cacoward? I vaguely remembering seeing that.

Most of them?

There are tons of wads that never become popular simply because of bad luck. While this isn't something any artist wants to hear, becoming a popular artist is largely about luck. Experiments intended to examine how music becomes popular has proven this. I don't remember the source, but I remember reading somewhere that somebody did an experiment where people from different groups were made to rate music tracks they liked causing the most well liked ones to become more popular, which in turn caused them to become more popular, which in return etc. What was amazing is that each group was given access to the same pool of music, and yet the same tracks did not rise to the top in each group (the best songs still did obtain somewhat above average results each time though). This proves that success is largely about just getting noticed, which itself is luck.

Does this mean that the most famous wads aren't deserving of their fame? No. But something not being popular doesn't mean it's not good good or worthy of your time.

2 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

It was more a suggestion to perhaps make a meaningful contribution to an already existing discussion instead of starting it anew. :)

What's htyuro51mastah to do? He wants to know if there are any wads he should try that are under-rated, so he asks the community. Yes, the question has been asked more than one (and that sort of thing never happens on DW), although the last time was 18 months ago, so it is possible that other wads have been released since then that would meet this requirement of being good but underrated.

Otherwise, he has to dig through dozens of pages to find the existing thread(s). And if he does post in one of those threads, then he ends up necrobumping the thread, which would cause at least one person to jump on him for necrobumping. So, this method is actually the path of least resistance.

@htyuro51mastah

Welcome to Doomworld! Enjoy your time here and join in to some of the other discussions. And don't be afraid to post new ones or bump old ones (unless the author has specifically asked people not to bump the thread).

If by underrated we mean stuff that saw the light but barely got recognition, and to this day we just don't see them being mentioned anywhere, I'll say the vast majority. I can only speak about mapsets or megawads like Hell2Pay or BIOWAR which are of good quality for their age (yea, subjectively speaking) and would recommend to anyone, and I lack knowledge of single map wads because they usually don't catch my attention. Good Morning Phobos is another easy case to think about: it unfortunately lacked proper feedback and it was released with loads of visuals glitches, which I covered in the thread but I doubt it'll get updated. 

Now if we talk about stuff that did get plenty of reviews after a while but primarily harsh critiques, I think of Urania. Despite many design choices most people didn't agree with, including myself, I don't think it is nowhere near as "horrible" as it's generally rated. If something's true, it lacked feedback from different perspectives when it was released. 

Hard to say if it's under-rated or more just skipped but TNT from final doom. I do think Plutonia over-shadow's TNT. Shame since TNT DOES have good maps. (The Mill & River Styx come to mind).

Scheisse, have I really not posted in this thread yet to point at my custom title? I'm losin' it.