Find results in...
Robo_Cola

Ballista vs Gauss Cannon

Ballista vs Gauss Cannon   

58 members have voted

1. 1. Ballista vs Gauss Cannon

• Ballista
    • Gauss Cannon

Judging from the game-play and overall design of the Ballista, it seems that it has now (probably) replaced the Gauss Cannon.  Many people on Reddit seem to prefer the Gauss Cannon over its replacement though the general consensus here hasn't been prominent as of late.  I prefer the Ballista myself since it has a fantasy-inclined design that contrasts with the other sci-fi derived weaponry...though I will say I'm unsure and partly worried how the weapon mods will be factored into its design. 

Which do you prefer and why? 

Gauss Cannon because it was satisfying to kill the weaker enemies with one shot in the campaign.  The one draw back is that it shared resources with the Plasma Rifle.

Even if balance wise they look to be similar, low-tech visuals of Ballista make it appear clunky and bulky, whereas Gauss cannon sci-fi mumbo-jumbo both looked and acted powerful.

I way prefer the Gauss Cannon, it just feels so powerful with the electric crunch of the weapon firing, and the crazy knock back if you fire it mid-air.

Also the way siege mode literally obliterates anything in front of you apart from full HP Mancs and Barons.

Plus, we already have grenades, sticky grenades for the shotgun, and a rocket launcher, do we really need more ways to blow up demons? I really hope they at least give us the option of using piercing bolts for the Ballista.

Can't give an opinion on how it feels until I fire it myself, but i like the design.

I went with Ballista. It may be biased just because it's new, but I do like the archaic and demonic motifs they're putting on the weapons.

Ballista has a nice fantasy feel to it. I like it's alt-fire which acts as a time bomb and I think it uses different ammo to the plasma gun which is a plus considering the plasma gun is cool now.

Ballista seems roughly the same as the Gauss cannon with it's primary fire, but I'll need to see the weapon mods for the Ballista before I *really* make a judgement. Simply judging from the footage, the secondary fire (where there's a projectile that sticks, followed by a charge-up and subsequent explosion) seems overall tactically superior to the Gauss cannon's primary fire, but definitely inferior to the Siege mode.

I can't vote on the overall quality of the weapon yet. With that being said, it's still a badass concept and design, though I prefer the Gauss cannon's appearance over the Ballista, so I'm voting Gauss.

I love the electromagnetic nature of the Gauss Cannon as well as its design. It just looks cooler and more futuristic than the Ballista. People are saying they have the same functionality but I think aesthetics matter a lot in weapon design for games. The Gauss Cannon is sci-fi-based (it's a portable railgun, after all) whereas the Ballista is probably fantasy-based. And it looks ugly. It's like having a medieval crossbow in Cyberpunk 2077. Doesn't make sense and doesn't fit the futuristic setting. I'm hoping my beloved Gauss Cannon will be available in the actual game. I prefer sci-fi-based weapons over fantasy-based ones. I can nerd out with like-minded people over how they work, what it would take to make one in real life, etc. The Gauss Cannon is my favorite gun from the previous game and it's one of the best guns in FPS history, period. I think its irreplaceable.

Anyway, I think DOOM Eternal should also feature a bigger arsenal of weapons. I mean, in some other FPS games, you easily have 15-20 guns to choose from. I think they should make all the multiplayer-exclusive weapons from the previous game available in the singleplayer campaign for Eternal.

I don't see the association between a ballista/crossbow and a fantasy setting. Sure, you'll see them used in a fantasy universe, but they're ancient weapons invented on this earth.

Obviously, I would go for the Gauss Cannon. The blue beam going through demons look so satisfying and it happens pretty fast, while in the Ballista, we see a cacodemon getting hit by one, and it takes up a couple seconds before the caco explodes. Also, the Ballista looks like more of a demon weapon. Unless they introduce interesting weapon mods or upgrades for this weapon, my vote goes for the GC. 

13 hours ago, Und3rdawg said:

Anyway, I think DOOM Eternal should also feature a bigger arsenal of weapons. I mean, in some other FPS games, you easily have 15-20 guns to choose from. I think they should make all the multiplayer-exclusive weapons from the previous game available in the singleplayer campaign for Eternal.

What more do we need? 

On 8/26/2018 at 6:57 AM, MTF Sergeant said:

What more do we need? 

Having more and different guns enhances variety in the gameplay. If I want to play with the same old shotgun, I can go to so many other shooters. One of the USPs of DOOM is the amazing sci-fi weaponry, so I think it's a missed opportunity and surprising that some of the cooler weapons are available in multiplayer only.

So far, I like the visual design of the Gauss Cannon more, but the ballista is not a bad looking weapon either and it does get a lot of points for creativity in its design.

Functionally, on the other hand, I really like the Ballista more. Siege mode may have been pretty badass, but I like that timed explosive bolt that the ballista fires as its alternate a lot better.

I really like the timer noise the Ballista bomb makes before it explodes. I prefer the GC so far, but I'm gonna have to actually use the Ballista to fully judge it.

On 8/25/2018 at 7:31 AM, Und3rdawg said:

The Gauss Cannon is sci-fi-based (it's a portable railgun, after all)

It's actually a coilgun. Those are different from railguns.

On 8/25/2018 at 7:31 AM, Und3rdawg said:

I agree. It's not nice to restrict the variety to multiplayer.

Gauss cannon was fun for gauss jumping. I hope to see some weapons with that similar utility in the game. I'm sure they both will kill things so there is that.

On 8/22/2018 at 9:02 PM, fant0m999 said:

I like the Ballista more because it looks better. They work basically the same.

Gauss Cannon is an instant-hit weapon, Ballista not.

edit: or maybe not, I' m not sure after re-watching the video. Maybe it's just the Gauss Cannon with a new look.

Edited by Tetzlaff

Strictly going by the looks, i liked gauss cannon better. But that timed explosive for ballista looks lot cooler than precision shot of gauss cannon. I will reserve my judgement until i personally try it.

I'd like to think the gauss cannon was the prototype, and the ballista is the final product.  Perhaps that's what they're going for and why all the weapons are different this time around.

On 10/18/2018 at 4:40 AM, StevieCybernetik said:

I'd like to think the gauss cannon was the prototype, and the ballista is the final product.  Perhaps that's what they're going for and why all the weapons are different this time around.

That would be weird. The prototypes look scifi high-tech, but the final products look kind of medieval inspired and fantasy-like, adorned with little skulls and stuff?

4 minutes ago, Tetzlaff said:

That would be weird. The prototypes look scifi high-tech, but the final products look kind of medieval inspired and fantasy-like, adorned with little skulls and stuff?

My guess would be that the Ballista is crafted (or forged with) Night Sentinel engineering.  All UAC weapons have certain logos and stamped numbers on theirs while the Ballista, Rocket Launcher, and Super Shotgun bare runes of another language.  

Put me down as preferring the Gauss Cannon, in large part because it's high-tech in its nature, it's look and feel, and is so clearly a weapon that exists independently of the Doom Slayer and that he's just happened upon and put to use in his rampage of righteous murder.  Whereas the Ballista feels like something that doesn't relly have a role independent of the Doom Slayer, that raises the question "What is this here for, who made it and why?" and it feels like the answer first and foremost is that someone on the developer's side of the screen thought it would be cool for the Doom Slayer to have a crossbow.  Yes, the Doom Slayer is a mythic figure now in the continuity of the new games, but there's something cool about a backstory that exists in dread legends and half-remembered horror stories and the visceral, instinctive terror you inspire in the demonic legions, vs. a backstory that comes with branded just-for-you gadgets like Batman and his Batarangs.