Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nevander

What are some things that keep you going?

I don't just mean things that keep you busy or motivated, but things that actually keep you alive and make your life worth living to you?

For me, music is a big part of keeping my sanity and feelings in check. I couldn't live in a world without progressive metal. A badass song can change my entire outlook for a long time and even change my habits and thought process.

I love Doom obviously, we all do if we are on this board. I can instantly feel better if I start up Doom and just play for a bit. My favorite game is always a treat.

So let's hear it, what keeps you guys going?

I started learning 3D modeling a year ago and it's going quite well. I want to make my own Doom-inspired game and that is what keeps me going. I found that finding a purpose in life helps alleviating depression. It doesn't cure it but it does make it better. So if you want to feel good about life find something you're good at stick with it.

A big thing is art. I create art constantly, whether it's personal or work-related. Video, photography, illustration, music production, cartoons, etc. It's a huge part of my life, an addiction even. I have to create. Another thing that keeps me going is a belief in dying during the process of transformation into a superhuman. The idea is that, despite making daily mistakes or being pushed back a few steps, you live as though you are Buddha/Christ, working to self-improve and help others. By "living in the service of others" and practicing mindfulness, I can slowly, every day, become a slightly better person.

I paint and draw. I mostly paint landscapes, odd landscapes, somewhat abstract "landscapes" and interiors. I've been doing pre-production work on a webcomic, which is why I joined here in the first place. I'll probably use GZDoom Builder as a "dungeon screenshot generator" to get easy dungeon perspectives to trace over with a light box. Gotta keep production fast and easy for a webcomic, so why bother taking the slow route?

Art is one of the main things that keep me going and motivate on a daily basis, particularly music, it's sometimes very hard to keep pushing forward when you're directionless, feeling as if there's greater things to come even if at the moment they might seem far from reach. Depending on the theme, it often speaks to me on a personal level making the impact more profound. Moreover, it prevents me from not wanting anything from myself and fall into mediocrity.

When it comes to music, I innovate by listening to many genres across many nations and periods. I also sometimes watch videos or read articles on what chords and scales typify a particular genre. This gives me a larger body of work to draw inspiration from.

Studying level design and 3D Modelling in my free time, been like that for 2 years and have done several attempts but never reached a point where I was confident enough to release my work, often because of laziness or because I get distracted with Doom or hl stuff.

6 hours ago, Nevander said:

For me, music is a big part of keeping my sanity and feelings in check. I couldn't live in a world without progressive metal.

I too happen to be big into music, and progressive metal has become a great love of mine in the last few years. I don't want to imagine where I'd be if I didn't have music to keep me sane.

I became a dad when I was only 16.  When my first son was born he was born over a month premature and couldn't breathe on his own.  I was on house arrest at the time and I couldn't leave the house to watch my son be born or be with my wife (girlfriend at the time) because my ankle monitor would go off.  I spent the entire day working things out with my PO so I could leave the next day.  During that time I was sensing that this was God's way of punishing me for all the crap I done and losing faith.  I prayed more than I ever did in my life that day for my son to live and that I would be faithful again.  The next day I was able to leave my house and go to the hospital right in time for my son to be taken off life support and let nature take it's course.  My wife and I both held our son thinking he was dying in our arms when the miracle happened and he coughed and started breathing on his own. 

So yeah, my wife and two sons keep me going. 

My dad passed away this January, one day before my birthday (and that was also the day I joined Doomworld!), but I didn't found out until after my birthday. So yeah, it has been a shitty year for me. I didn't quite get super depressed, but life has not been okay in so many ways.

That was until I started running. I get up every day at six and go running, Monday to Friday. Exercise has changed my outlook on life, now I can't imagine not doing it. I lost 10 pounds already and everyday I feel better and better about myself both physically and mentally. It makes my day so much better. My end goal is fitting in a Spider-Man costume next Halloween, and then maybe try the city marathon. I listen to Mick Gordon's soundtrack and boy, the calories start burning.

If anyone wants a running buddy, hit me up!

Video games that Bring something new to the table,You know the kind that feels fresh.and after a month of playing fortnite GOD did i need something fresh and i think really thats why i still play video games today,theyre a very unique form of entertainement and it keeps me wanting more.yea it sounds stupid compared to other things here but life is pretty hard for me rn and video games help make it easier to take in

DOOM

creating things (virtual and physical, 2d and 3d)

music

my best friend who has always been there for me

my own thoughts

Damn, reading some of these comments.

I wish that passions like that would keep me wanting to live, but everything I try to do to entertain me ends up becoming dry and without grace.

I think the only thing that keeps me alive is to be in love, at the same time it kills you, but it also pushes you.

A lot of „artists“ here. Makes sense if you think about it, yet still kind of surprising.

What keeps me going is obviously my wife and our three cats as well as family and friends. But for me a big part of my life is creating as well. My first true hobby was photography, later I learned how to create vector illustrations, worked about 15 years in an ad agency for small businesses, dabbled in scale modelling (space ships, not WWII tanks) and ultimately ended up Doom mapping just a couple of months ago. Creating things is just a great deal of fun to me and it brings a kind of satisfaction, that an ordinary session of playing a game – as great as the game may be – can‘t give me.