Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
⇛Marnetmar⇛

When did people first start using the name Doomguy?

While this isn't a definitive answer, you can make of this what you will:

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=Doomguy

A closer to home search suggests even earlier, around 2000, though.  I had to limit it to just "description" though because "whole textfile" search was popping up a handle for someone who uploaded old stuff later on.

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames//index.php?search=1&field=description&word=doomguy&sort=time&order=asc&page=1

Edited by ETTiNGRiNDER : also idgames

On 11/9/2018 at 11:49 AM, Rimantas said:

I wonder what is Doomguy's name. I think it's Roland Carmero.

is flynn mctaggard, in a comic say that

Flynn Taggart was the name of the protagonist in the Doom novels, first one released in 1995. I don't think that's regarded as cannon, as iD, as far as I know, was not involved in the books.

I was calling him the guy in Doom since I started playing it in 1993. Eventually it was shortened to Doomguy. Me when I was 9 years old: "Yeah, the guy in Doom, he has a chainsaw and he cuts demons in half, it's soooo cool". It became Doomguy before I knew it was his common name, because I didn't have the internet until 2000 or so. So he's always been a Doomguy to me, and I will refuse to call the character the Demon Slayer, because it sounds like something my 9 year old self would've thought was stupid.

Canonically his name is Blazkowicz (surname at least) some people use the name Stan because of the shithouse mobile RPG games, and others use BJ Blazkowicz III also due to said RPG games, and because people can't make a better name.

i just call him Sgt. Blazkowicz because IMO Doomguy seems to be the type of guy that'd be a Sergeant.

If I remember correctly, Romero said the marine was supposed to be you. The problem it, most people aren't buff and have blonde hair and blue eyes, so people just started calling him doomguy.

On 11/12/2018 at 1:33 PM, Phoby said:

If I remember correctly, Romero said the marine was supposed to be you. The problem it, most people aren't buff and have blonde hair and blue eyes, so people just started calling him doomguy.

I thought he had light brown hair.

On 11/10/2018 at 6:38 AM, ETTiNGRiNDER said:

While this isn't a definitive answer, you can make of this what you will:

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&q=Doomguy

A closer to home search suggests even earlier, around 2000, though.  I had to limit it to just "description" though because "whole textfile" search was popping up a handle for someone who uploaded old stuff later on.

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames//index.php?search=1&field=description&word=doomguy&sort=time&order=asc&page=1

Oh wow New Zealand loves the doom guy \m/

According to the Internet Archive, the earliest printed example I could find was from an Electronic Entertainment magazine dated May 1995.  In describing Dark Forces, it said:

image.png.4dca9efb44af84592e0e4a7810e35795.png

There was supposedly a mention in a PC Gamer magazine dates January 1995 too, but the search engine couldn't find the exact words.  

So 1995 seems like a pretty solid guess for it becoming the accepted name of the character.

"doomdude" was the nick of one of the noteable Doom deathmatch players during the DWANGO era (launched in Dec -94 kinda peaked with the Deathmatch 95 tournament October that year, which doomdude partook in). Seems there must have been a "doomguy" in the player lists also at that point, on DWANGO and other earlier/later BBS deathmatch services, but no one that I could confirm anyway...

I think people called him "The Doom Guy" because that was the most coloquial way of refering to him. Doom's protagonist.

"The Doom guy is such a badass, tearing through Hell and shizz... but never says a word. He doesn't have any cool one-liners like Duke Nukem"