Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
niguel

HELP ME WITH WADAUTHOR (and delete my previous post)

when i check my map for errors it says sector x is not closed...wtf, i don't get it...every linedef is connected to each other and i put all the sectors' value to 0

now i think is just figured it out, but when i test my map i doesn't even match the one i've made in the editor...there's something blocking in the middle of the sector...there's no door even if i have it in the editor, when i push tab to see the map it doesn't simply look the same i have made. it's just a single four sided little sector, when it looks a level with many rooms in the editor. what the fuck is wrong???!

EDIT: i don't know how to madk a normal door that opens when i push open button. i put a door, but i don't have any idea how i get it work.,

I just can't use it. It hates me. I try and try but nothing works. I can join linedefs and making connecter sectors, and when I try to put a door between them, I test the map and there's just a blurring hole in the wall. And no door. I can walk thru it. Help me!!!

Open a wad, like doom2 map01, and look at the first door. The door sector has its ceiling set down at the same height as the floor. You need to put a door texture on the "upper" sidedef of each line forming the door. Note that the door lines should face "outward", away from the door (you see a little stub line pointing out from the center of a line, the stub indicates the front side of the line).

When you use the door, the sector ceiling rises, allowing the player to pass through the "main" portion of the door line...there should be no texture on the main, just the upper sidedef.

The doom2 map01 first door is a simple "local door" which does not require a tag number.

| a| b| c|
| a| b| c|
| a| b| c|
| a| b| c|
| a| b| c|
| a| b| c|
1 -2 -3 -4

okay, enter DOOR DIAGRAM OF DOOM! This should help with your door problems. This is a cheapass diagram of a three sector door structure facing east/west. Number 1-4 are the vertical linedefs and 5-6 are horizontal lindefs. Sectors A and C are the doorframes, and sector B is the actual Door, the part that does the moving.
Now sectors A and C can be any hieght, or they can match the sector height that they attach to. Like Biffy said, sector b needs to have a total height of ZERO, so it appears closed. Just give the ceiling a value the same as the floor, not the other way around.

Now apply a texture to the UPPER value of the linedefs that make up your door (2 and 3). Give those lines a special too, like

nSR: Open/Close (turbo)

Also be sure to apply a DOORTRAK texture to the linedefs on 5-6 that are inside the door sector, and lower unpeg it so the texture doesn't move when the door raises.
Confused? I hope not, but looking inside the editor at other maps should help a bit, like Biffy mentioned. Good Luck! Keep practicing.

Did i mention this diagram is cheapass?

man, thanks alot, the door still won't open correctly, it only jumps up a bit... I'm still fucked up with those "sector x is not closed"-thingies. when I put the cursos in the middle of the first sector, the linedefs and such highlight blue, and there are some sectors in between a linedef that is also highlighted blue...

You probably have the sector references wrong. Each side of the linedef (front and back) must refer to the correct sector, or it will say the sectors are not closed.

If the reference is wrong, the linedef will assume the properties of the sector it's referring to, not the correct one. If this sector is higher than the correct one, it will block you. Similarly, if it's lower than the correct one, you will fall through an invisible hole)

niguel said:

man, thanks alot, the door still won't open correctly, it only jumps up a bit... I'm still fucked up with those "sector x is not closed"-thingies. when I put the cursos in the middle of the first sector, the linedefs and such highlight blue, and there are some sectors in between a linedef that is also highlighted blue...

You need to fix a few line-to-sector assignments. With WadAuthor, hit the S key to go into sector-only mode. Move the mouse cursor over the sectors and observe the hilighting of the lines of that sector. If a sector is not closed, you will usually see that one of the sector lines does not hilight.

Note which sector number you are finding the problem in, I think WA displays sector number when hilighting sectors. If not, double click on one of the lines which do hilight and note the sector number displayed in the dialog box. Now, go to the line which does not hilight properly and double click on it. Enter the correct sector number, on the front or back side of the line where it's wrong. Then the sector should hilight normally and the error checker no longer report a sector not closed.

Getting the sector assignments right constitutes probably the biggest part of the bug-finding/ridding phase when working with Wadauthor. At least it does for me.

Hiya.

Your sector problem sounds like you have all the sectors referencing the same number. In WA, when you built one 'room' (a sector) it is Sector 0. When you build another 'room', it is Sector 1. When you build a third sector, to use as a corridor between the rooms, it is Sector 2. One of the bugs/quirks of WA, is that if you try and "multi-edit" several things at once (say, all the linedefs in your map, and you want to change the texture to all of them), sometimes the saving/node-building will get confused and missreference a linedef or two; this will give you the "Sector X is not closed" errors. Just go into Sector only edit mode (hit "S" on your keyboard; hit "N" to go back to 'no preference'). Now, move the mouse cursor over your map 'rooms'; a sector should be hilighted. If you see, for example, only 3 highlighted lines in a 4 line room, the unhighlighted linedef has had one of it's sides misslabled. Go into "L" (linedef) mode and check one of the previously highlighted lines; double click it to bring up it's properties. Now check what sector it is referening. Close that properties, and double click on the offending line (the one that didn't show up as highlighted). Make sure that it's sector is the same number as the one you just looked at.

Now, I did "gloss over" some basics; I assume you know the difference between sides of a linedef, and what makes up a sector. If not, hit the net and look for "Wad Designers Handbook" (or something like that). Hit the Links section of Doomworld, and you might want to take a peak over at NewDoom.com.

Did that help at all? I dont' know, I'm far to tiered to make sense of what I'm writing. G'night all! :)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

well. I think the best way, is to read Doom editing tutorials... to get better... :)

Little Faith said:

Getting the sector assignments right constitutes probably the biggest part of the bug-finding/ridding phase when working with Wadauthor. At least it does for me.

It's pretty simple once you get used to it. It's also really easy to do tricks like false sector heights (i.e. the deep-water effect and invisible bridges) in doom2.exe.