Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Man of Doom

What are some of the most visually striking maps/mods out there?

Ok, so the context is that I've just recently introduced a close friend to the Doom franchise as a whole, and I'd like for them to see what exactly the modding community is like in all its glory. It certainly helps that in the past few years, I've come to see some truly gorgeous maps come to fruition (from megaWADs like Ancient Aliens, Sunlust, and UAC Ultra to single-map projects like Saturnine Chapel), and my friend is actually an artist themselves who dabbles in surrealist art.
In all honesty, I'd actually like for my friend to join the Doom community and to see the very best of what it has to offer (I'm aware of the Cacowards, although that'd be a good place to start).

So with that being said, I have to ask:
What do you think are the most visually striking maps or mods you've seen in the Doom community? 

It doesn't have to be a direct download to the maps or mods in question, just simple images or summaries will do if you'd like.

There was a discussion on this pretty recently actually:

Personally for me, Sunder takes the cake as the best looking wad out there, with Viggles' maps (specifically Brigandine) also getting a massive shout-out, but a lot comes down to personal taste.

I would like to see your friend enter the community. New blood is always good, especially if it comes from an interesting corner like „surreal art“. Would love to see what he can cook up with GzDoom Builder. 

Maybe show him stuff like;

The Quirky Domain

Lilith.wad

Mr. Friendly

Those are some more artistic approaches to Doom mapping in my opinion and hopefully entertain your friend in a completely different way than most other FPS or games with modding abilities.

Aeon DM and Don’t Be a Bitch for Zandronum both contain a heaping helping of gorgeous maps. They’re for deathmatch but we’ll deserving of a passing stroll in SP.

Deus Vult 2

Order of the odonata

Brigandine

Valiant (same guy who made Ancient Aliens wad)

Back to Saturn X E1

HonTE (visually modernized doom 2 levels)

Hell on Earth Starter Pack/ Extermination Day (Real looking Locations but sadly only works properly with Brutal Doom)

Ultimate Torment and Torture

Also, This (coming in January 31st)

On 11/21/2018 at 7:21 AM, Bauul said:

There was a discussion on this pretty recently actually:

Personally for me, Sunder takes the cake as the best looking wad out there, with Viggles' maps (specifically Brigandine) also getting a massive shout-out, but a lot comes down to personal taste.

Yay someone linked my thread

you can play Diabolus ex if you want to know what visually striking actually means

also Infinite void standalone maps

22 hours ago, Spie812 said:

Winter's Fury has probably my favorite single view in all of Doom.

ghnx4uI.png

Daaaaaaaamn.

Now I want to move there.

1 hour ago, 94's the best style said:

A nice place to visit...

You can tell how much I like reality when I was to escape in video game levels :D .