Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spooner5020

What are your thoughts on the new Doctor Who series?

I was actually one of the few people who were against a female Doctor and was unhappy with Jodie’s casting. The only things I had seen her in was Broadchurch and Attack The Block which were both good, but not cause of her. Even when I saw the previews I just had a hard time getting excited unlike Capaldi’s who I was extremely excited for. Then when I watched her  as the Doctor I did start to realize she’s a good Doctor. She’s just been getting shitty scripts like Capaldi.

So far the season in my opinion has been “meh”. I don’t think Chris Chibnall is a good showrunner at all. Coming from someone who only worked on dramas it looks like the guy has no idea how to write Sci fi. The only good episodes I can recall are the Rosa Parks episode and The Demons Of Punjab. Even those episodes had issues though. Like in the Rosa Parks episode who was the assassin, what was his purpose other than to kill Rosa Parks, who does he work for, what happened to him and do we see him again in future episodes? With Demons Of Punjab why did we need a whole episode around the Indian girl? She’s not that interesting of a character if you ask me. In fact that’s another thing i’m gonna bring up.

Why should we care at all about the companions this time around? There’s nothing interesting about them at all. They’re pretty boring in my opinion. They don’t seem to enjoy traveling with the Doctor either. They all have this look like they would rather be somewhere else. Especially the father and son. As much as people disliked Rose I wished she were back. Rose was fun and we got to learn a lot about her in the first 2 episodes.

In the end i’m beginning to wonder if the BBC even cares about Doctor Who. It seems like it’s been on life support ever since Tennant left and probably should have ended with Tennant. At least Doctor Who would have gone out with dignity. I think truthfully the casting of a female Doctor was to get a new audience and instead of gaining viewers, its lost viewers. I really hope Doctor Who will not die. It’d be a shame if it died on it’s worst season. 

Would love to know what you guys think.

Edited by Spooner5020

I have been a Doctor Who fan since the days of the 4th Doctor. I have enjoyed the episodes with the 13th Doctor as much as any other Doctor.

I'm one of those fans who did not mind the prospect of a female Doctor, and I was glad when Jodie got it instead of Kris Marshall -- I would have simply stopped watching it if he had got the role.

So I have been watching the current series with an open mind, hoping it was going to be good, and while some episodes have been "ok", overall I'm pretty disappointed with the series so far.

The two episodes you liked that most are the two episodes which I disliked the most, to me they were little more than preachy history lessons.

As for Jodie herself, I quite like her in the role, but I think she (or her portrayal) lacks a certain authority or something -- I don't really "buy" her being a 2000 year old timelord.

I agree with you about the companions, though Bradley Walsh has been more watchable than I expected (definitely better than Matt Lucas).  Also four companions seems too many given the length of the show, I think the stories could be "tighter" and give more screen time to the Doctor if there were fewer companions to follow.

I like Whittaker in the role, and I am fine with the new companions.  I like that the show has consciously skewed away from Moffatt's MYTHIC style in favour of a slightly lighter, episode SF show format.  I'm not all that thrilled with the scripts we've had so far, but there's been nothing remotely as terrible as Robots of Sherwood yet, so I call it a win.

12 hours ago, andrewj said:

I'm one of those fans who did not mind the prospect of a female Doctor, and I was glad when Jodie got it instead of Kris Marshall -- I would have simply stopped watching it if he had got the role.

So I have been watching the current series with an open mind, hoping it was going to be good, and while some episodes have been "ok", overall I'm pretty disappointed with the series so far.

The two episodes you liked that most are the two episodes which I disliked the most, to me they were little more than preachy history lessons.

As for Jodie herself, I quite like her in the role, but I think she (or her portrayal) lacks a certain authority or something -- I don't really "buy" her being a 2000 year old timelord.

I agree with you about the companions, though Bradley Walsh has been more watchable than I expected (definitely better than Matt Lucas).  Also four companions seems too many given the length of the show, I think the stories could be "tighter" and give more screen time to the Doctor if there were fewer companions to follow.

See I actually wanted Kris as the Doctor. What’s everyone issue with him? I haven’t seen him much except for that Trouble in Paradise Show he was in. Do people think he’s just not a good actor?