Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
crazyflyingdonut

What is your favorite (and/or least favorite) Doom console port?

Doom had some difficulty getting onto consoles back in the day. Whereas nowadays you can probably buy one on PSN or XBOX Live (I don't know for sure, I don't play much consoles), back in the day you were probably stuck with the port you had for your only console (I feel bad for you if you only had Doom on the Super Famicom, or if you only had Doom on the Mega Drive with that weird 32X thing.)

But some Doom console ports are decent at the very least and good at the best. If you owned PSX Doom, I bet that every one of your friends wanted to play with you. If you owned the Jaguar Doom... wait, who am I kidding? Nobody has ever bought an Atari Jaguar. That Atari Jaguar CD add-on for the Jaguar does not even work, it's as useful as a brick! If you owned 3DO Doom... *insert Doomguy ouch face here*

My personal opinions aside, it's time for yours. What is your favorite, and/or least favorite console port of Doom?

My favourite is probably GBA Doom. It was fun, a bit unique with the green blood etc to appease Nintendo, interesting to play doom on a handheld.

Least favourite that I've actually experienced is PSX Doom. I really don't like the new sound effects, although I appreciate that the port has a lot of other things going for it.

11 hours ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

I feel bad for you if you only had Doom on the Super Famicom

Why feel bad? That, in my case, was the console which led me to discover this great game. I should be grateful for having that version.

To the topic itself...I think I don't have least favorites because I need to own those versions anyway. Favorite? PSX Doom by far. Had many hours playing Doom and Final Doom with a bundled disc of 6 games (with those 2 games inside plus Hexen). Worth it.

Just now, leodoom85 said:

PSX Doom. Had many hours playing Doom and Final Doom with a bundled disc of 6 games (with those 2 games inside plus Hexen). Worth it.

Yeah, I've heard a lot of great things about PSX Doom and I hope to buy it soon.

The PSX Dooms would be my choice if it weren't for Doom 64, so it kinda makes them a tie. But I've grown so fond of Doom 64 modding lately that I'd probably pick it as the best of the two. The sheer amount of new content alone makes it mighty special.

Hard to pick a worst since I only know about most of the other ports vicariously, through articles and videos. I briefly played the SNES port on an emulator and it was pretty sorry, though technically impressive. I'm going to guess most people who have played the old console versions would probably find the 3D0 version detestable, since, despite its totally rad (but quite incomplete) soundtrack, the game was super rushed–really quite a story if you look into it–and as a result there just wasn't time to optimize it. Looks and runs (and plays) quite poorly from what I can tell. 

5 hours ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

Yeah, I've heard a lot of great things about PSX Doom and I hope to buy it soon.

Lucky for you, you'll probably love the Master Edition hack that will add in the missing levels, done in the same vein by this very community. (And possibly "slot them into" the normal game too, eventually.)

I actually have PSX Doom, and a PS3 that can play it, but I haven't bothered to. (I played it a bunch in the 90s fwiw). If someone did a hack to restore the original sfx then I'd be very tempted to play it in an emulator. Or maybe I should play one of those PSX-Doom-maps-PWADs instead.

Have played 3DO and 32x Doom, both were garabage, especially 3DO Doom. SNES Doom is passable but still a chore to play. PSX Doom actually kinda-sorta feels like Doom, which is huge, FBA Doom probably rises to the top as the best mix of authenticity and novelty.

I would pick Doom 64 for favorite but it's really its own game, it's not an actual port of any of the other Doom games.

PSX Doom would be my least favorite, but I enjoy it more as a mod for PC Doom. I haven't played any other console version of Doom.

8 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Have played 3DO and 32x Doom, both were garabage, especially 3DO Doom. SNES Doom is passable but still a chore to play. PSX Doom actually kinda-sorta feels like Doom, which is huge, FBA Doom probably rises to the top as the best mix of authenticity and novelty.

FBA?

PSX Doom is easily my favorite, it, along with D64 have the atmosphere and tone I'm looking for.

Haven't played other console ports however, and I haven't owned any consoles either.

1 hour ago, Agent6 said:

PSX Doom is easily my favorite, it, along with D64 have the atmosphere and tone I'm looking for.

Having said that, the Master Levels episode of PSX Final Doom takes the cake with the music (Geryon especially, love that one). Doom64, as a game that stands the rest, is also pretty good and takes several steps further from its predecessor...But...

As I said before, the console that led me to meet this game was the SNES. I didn't know wtf was Doom but, the color of that cartridge caught my attention and decided to rent it (yea, never owned that game because it's incredibly rare to find one...believe me). Worth it and, I rented it everytime back then lol...

Favorite: Playstation Doom
Least favorite: 3DO Doom

The opinion about Doom64: I like the engine and technical improvements, but weird monster sprites and almost all-brown textures is out of place for me.

1 minute ago, TakenStew22 said:

The XBLA port of Doom 1 and 2 are my favorites. They are what got me into the series.

Does any episode of Final Doom exist on the XBLA? Just curious.

Just now, crazyflyingdonut said:

Does any episode of Final Doom exist on the XBLA? Just curious.

Sadly no, but there is a bonus episode in Doom 2.

The only non-PC device i had played Doom on was my Nokia C5.00 5MP through Choco Doom, ported to Symbian. Doom looked gorgeous on 240x320 screen... I used key mapping program to bind volume and some other keys for controls. It was playable.

1 hour ago, riderr3 said:

Favorite: Playstation Doom
Least favorite: 3DO Doom

The opinion about Doom64: I like the engine and technical improvements, but weird monster sprites and almost all-brown textures is out of place for me.

The last thing i would call Doom 64 is brown...

Its easily PSX Doom for me, i prefer ports that actually do their own thing rather than just copy and paste the game on a different system.

56 minutes ago, TakenStew22 said:

Sadly no, but there is a bonus episode in Doom 2.

Is it called "No Rest For The Living"? Cause PC users have that too. Or, at least I do... cause I bought it on Steam.

46 minutes ago, vinnie245 said:

The last thing i would call Doom 64 is brown...

VE7r22L.png

Moreover, they mostly all 64x64 sized. it's ludicrous even compared to the PSX Doom. They tried to compensate this with improved color lighting, with varying success.

5 minutes ago, riderr3 said:

VE7r22L.png

Moreover, they mostly all 64x64 sized. it's ludicrous even compared to the PSX Doom. They tried to compensate this with improved color lighting, with varying success.

To be fair though, this isn't accounting for multiple things, like different ways to tile the texture as well.

(It's also mostly an artifact of the N64's small texture cache size, so realistically, they did the best they could.)

2 hours ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

Is it called "No Rest For The Living"? Cause PC users have that too. Or, at least I do... cause I bought it on Steam.

Yep. I think it's in the BFG edition.

1 hour ago, EtherBot said:

Am I allowed to answer with the 360 version? Or...does Doom 64 count? Hm.

Doom 64 isn't really a port so I'm guessing it doesn't count.

All of them but Saturn Doom, not having Hell sky in Hell levels is a SIN to me, at least they could have used Doom's Hell sky for them.

I also don't like the Xbox, 360,PS3 versions, I prefer exclusive Xbox levels and NRFTL in PSX Doom Master Edition Version.

On 11/21/2018 at 11:14 PM, crazyflyingdonut said:

FBA?

I think he meant GBA