Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quasar

Bethesda.net issues

That's amazing. Gotta love the entire situation with F76. Remember when Bethesda killed Prey 2 because of "quality" reasons? Yeah, I'm sure it was because of the quality.

I plan to try out Fallout 76 soon (yeah, yeah, fight me), but I can't deny that Bethesda is in a huge heap of trouble at the moment. The good news is that they're making a huge update to the game in December.

FO76 looked like trash when it was announced - most likely because you also had Rage 2 and DE gameplay revealed already.  It just looks like another Oblivion game with the shitty combat that hasn't changed since like forever.

wait for the inevitable torrent and give the $50 to your favorite charity? 

i dont want to be logged in. not to steam, not to bethnet, not to battlenet. no no no. this is why i dont play diablo 3, this is why i dont play quake champions. 

fuxking shareholders ruin every goddamn thing. and thats coming from a capitalist.

Edited by rampancy

I do not blame Bethesda for wanting their own launcher.  It just needs to fucking work!  Kinda worried that IF Bethesda.net is the only source for Doom Eternal, then it is going to run like shit.

I saw this coming when Valve announced HL2 being Steam only (even if installed from disc). Of course every publisher wants his own platform, because that's what publishers do: publish.

On December 1, 2018 at 2:52 PM, igg said:

...that's what publishers do: publish.

sounds like a pickle. the product is digital, distribution is digital.

im sure that there are still digital logistical issues for studios, but publishers should be going out of business. time to get a real job. 

Now that's a huge surprise. A company that does not fix serious bugs in their games has a serious bug in their support system. It's their usual high level of quality.

–––

I'd like to see how successful the company would have been without modding, especially all the unofficial bug fix mods.

It's shocking how one of my favorite video game companies fucked up that bad.

There is some serious chaos happening at Bethesda headquarters. It's not funny for me, it's just sad and scary.

12 minutes ago, TakenStew22 said:

It's shocking how one of my favorite video game companies fucked up that bad.

There is some serious chaos happening at Bethesda headquarters. It's not funny for me, it's just sad and scary.

It seems to happen to all big companies eventually.

I used to like Bethesda for their games too, as well as Valve, and look what they've become.

Whelp, it looks like RAGE 2 is going to a Bethesda.net game. If you go to the store page on that site (https://bethesda.net/en/games/RA2CS1PCBG01BASE), it doesn't say "Steam DRM" in brackets next to "PC Download" above the "add to cart" button like some other games in this store do. Also, if you go to the GreenManGaming page for it (https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/rage-2-pc/), it lists "Bethesda" as the game's DRM, which is also notable because this page previously said that it was going to use Steam.

I'm saying this because this means that DOOM Eternal is probably much more likely to be chained to that awful service. God-fucking-dammit Bethesda, why did you have to put all your eggs into one basket? I had a feeling that Pete's reasoning for Fallout 76 being on Beth.net was bullshit.

I hope they'll still sell their games on Steam, though, like Ubisoft does. There's no way I'm gonna buy anything that's on Beth.net exclusively.

What boggles my mind the most is that Zenimax/Bethesda/Whoever the fuck made this decision thought it was a good idea to put RAGE 2, a sequel to a game that isn't all that fondly remembered, on a platform with not only a very harsh stigma, but also one that just hasn't found much of an audience yet. At least if they put DOOM Eternal on there, It kinda makes sense because it's extremely hyped up and I bet a lot of people excited for that game would be willing to bite the bullet and deal with Beth.net's shit (as much as I'd hate to see that happen). Putting a game like RAGE 2 on there is just setting themselves up for it to be a flop on PC.

A damn shame too because I've really been looking forward to RAGE 2. Hopefully Bethesda takes the constant shitstorm they've been receiving over the past month as a hint that maybe they should be changing course. It shouldn't be too hard to put that game on Steam since it has no multiplayer whatsoever and they already have previously Beth.net-only games on there like ES Legends and Quake Champions.

EDIT:

3 hours ago, Rathori said:

I hope they'll still sell their games on Steam, though, like Ubisoft does. There's no way I'm gonna buy anything that's on Beth.net exclusively.

Yeah maybe that's the case. That GMG link is the only third-party seller page I can find that hasn't either not been updated or haven't been put up at all. Not even the Humble Store, which sells Fallout 76, has the page for RAGE 2 up yet. Still, I'm really worried.

Edited by chemo

If Doom Eternal ends up having anything to do with Bethesda.net or their launcher, there's no way in hell I'm gonna buy it. One thing is a shitty launcher, but leaking private information is a whole other level. I'm sorry for id, but I'm not gonna deal with Bethesda's massive incompetence.

Does anybody ever read these things? https://bethesda.net/data/eula/en.html

* Can terminate at any time with or without reason, with no obligation to continue allowing access to your data.

* All games are online only.

* Modding games is a violation of the license.

* Allows unlimited spying on your computer while you're playing a game.

4 minutes ago, Quasar said:

* Can terminate at any time with or without reason, with no obligation to continue allowing access to your data.

Sometimes it's good to live in the EU. An Eula like this will not be valid here.

1 hour ago, Quasar said:

they had better be giving the games away if they want people to accept that type of arrangement.

as an aside, crowdfunding works... esp if youre a beloved and established dev like id software. 

I would actually give 76 a shot if on steam. God I hope they don't start making the id side of things bethesda launcher exclusive.

On 11/5/2018 at 10:26 AM, FractalBeast said:

Seems more like Bethesda games being Bethesda games.

I like using "Bethesda" as a verb.

"Oh no, I think the game just bethesda'd there for a minute."

"Look the character models are bethesdaing all over the place again."

On 12/8/2018 at 10:47 PM, Quasar said:

Nobody really has the time to read these license agreements when seemingly every company has a similar one, differing only by a few key sentences at most. In most cases they are quite long and not even self-contained, but the ZeniMax one is probably one of the shorter examples.

Anyways, to add onto the list, here's the relevant quotes that support these points:

"[...] this Agreement does not give you any right to obtain reissues or replacements of the Game at any time and ZeniMax is not obliged to supply software updates, upgrades, or expansions for the Game, or even to operate or continue to support the Game for an indefinite period"

"[...] ZeniMax may change, modify, suspend, or discontinue any aspect of the Game at any time and ZeniMax may also impose limits on certain features or restrict your access to parts or all of the Game without notice or liability."

Game can be left broken and abandoned by ZeniMax at any time.

"ZeniMax may deploy or provide patches, updates, improvements, upgrades and modifications to the Game ("Updates") that must be installed by you in the manner described by ZeniMax in its discretion before you may continue to play the Game."

Updates must be installed to continue playing, no options to downgrade the version, else it's a violation of the license.

"The Game is a Service offered by ZeniMax and is only playable online. A persistent Internet connection (which is not supplied by ZeniMax) is required to play the Game. The Game Client alone without a persistent Internet connection does not give you the right or ability to play the Game. You are responsible for all costs and expenses associated with acquiring any hardware, software (e.g., Internet browsers) or other products or services required to play the Game."

Always online.

"You agree that you will not and will not assist any other person, under any circumstances, to, in whole or in part, modify, adapt, translate, reverse engineer, attempt to derive source code from, modify, disassemble, decompile, or create derivative works based on the Game"

No modding, reverse engineering or even translating.

"You agree that you will not and will not assist any other person, under any circumstances, to host, provide or develop matchmaking services for the Game or intercept, emulate or redirect the communication protocols used by ZeniMax in any way, for any purpose, including without limitation unauthorized play over the internet, network play, or as part of content aggregation networks;"

No hosting of the game or game servers, meaning that if the official servers go down, the game is dead for good.

"You agree that ZeniMax may, for the purposes set forth in this Agreement, monitor, upload and collect (including without limitation using cookies, web beacons and other analytic technologies), store, transmit and use certain data, and information, including but not limited to data and information about (i) your IP address, computer, CPU, operating system, application software, video card, sound card, memory information and peripherals and (ii) your use and playing of the Game, your behaviors during such use, metrics applicable to your use and playing of the Game, and your communications through, on or using the Game."

And of course the usual data collections fare that seemingly everyone does nowadays, always with claims of good intentions and whatnot.

^ Did ZeniMax lose their minds or something?

Pretty sure something like this will never be approved here in the EU.

All of those things in the EULA (collecting info, not allowing "software disassembly," dropping support at any time they want, etc.) are pretty par the course with these programs (Steam) or services (Xbox Live, PlayStation Network) and not just ones related to video games. What's so special about this one?

On 12/3/2018 at 7:36 PM, rampancy said:

sounds like a pickle. the product is digital, distribution is digital.

im sure that there are still digital logistical issues for studios, but publishers should be going out of business. time to get a real job. 

They're the ones who fund these games.

Edited by MrSkeltal

6 hours ago, Agent6 said:

^ Did ZeniMax lose their minds or something?

Pretty sure something like this will never be approved here in the EU.

Well, they'll try to convince you it's completely legal despite things being illegal under EU law.

After all, computer distributors in the EU put those "warranty void if seal is broken" stickers all over their products despite the fact that you can just open up computers in the EU and still send them back within the warranty if something breaks. Companies are forced to accept warranties regardless whether the seal is broken.

14 minutes ago, FractalBeast said:

Well, they'll try to convince you it's completely legal despite things being illegal under EU law.

After all, computer distributors in the EU put those "warranty void if seal is broken" stickers all over their products despite the fact that you can just open up computers in the EU and still send them back within the warranty if something breaks. Companies are forced to accept warranties regardless whether the seal is broken.

That's new, I didn't know this.

I suppose the companies that don't conform to this "break" the law.