Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
odysseyofnoises

Outpost Alpha: A Vanilla Doom Map

Wow, this level has the coolest effects and visuals I have ever witnessed in the vanilla doom engine, seriously. 
I wish I could have finished this level, but I was very turned off by the level design and monster placement. The level is much too restrictive with movement, more so than the beginning of sunder sunlust map29, and only seemed to get worse as the level progressed. After making it to the first room with the archviles, I quit out of frustration. It is likely my fault for starting with ultraviolence, but I believe this map has poor balance and flow even if I had the skill. I did not have much fun from what I had played and likely will not continue until I try again on hurt me plenty. 

Sorry : (

Edited by Ponqo

42 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

Please send a download link from whatever alternate timestream you are in! 

Presumably in that universe sunlust is only 14 maps

25 minutes ago, Vermil said:

The map felt like a bunch of Dehacked experiments rather than a proper map.

DeHackEd, you say?

*Downloads*

I changed the map to make it slightly easier, as well as to make one of the bridges wider, and updated the posted file. I don't want to stray too much from the difficulty though because, since it is only one map, I intended it to be brutal.

I got stuck early, trying to get the grey card. The barrels are indestructible. I played AutoDoom with a bot.

9 hours ago, odysseyofnoises said:

You have to push the barrels out of the way in the right order to access the silver key. It's a puzzle.

Dumb me. Thanks. I'll try. Don't give further hints now :)

This looks really great howewer i getting same problem as printz. Even i push the barrel it still not enough to get the grey card no matter what i'm doing. Played on prboom

I don't know what to tell you other than to keep trying. The barrels should never get permanently stuck, and if you accidentally push one into a wall and it won't move, you can always dislodge it by shooting it away from the wall.

Here's a demo I recorded in Chocolate Doom where I get all the way to the final room but unfortunately die. This reveals the solution to the barrel puzzle for those who are stuck and should also be enough to prove that the map is possible in UV Max. Make sure to download the very latest version of the wad in the first post before attempting to play back this demo.

op01.zip

This was mighty impressive in technical terms. All the OP monsters were interesting. There was lots of "who's going to win" infighting. Indeed the space is crammed, making for slow going at times against the mega-monsters. But all in all a fun time. Keep these coming.

Holy. Shit. This is some impressive stuff, especially that freeze gun! It really shows what DeHackEd can do on the right hands.

I feel like this forum is the place for the 2018 "i play doom all day and have lost interest in all other games and i don't care because this shit is Peak Human lvl shit club" I love V1perk1ller and was watching one of his vids and google led me to this forum... and i magicly got a super boss vanilla doom .wad to play this week... TY you all for being as uber doomer nerd as me and I hope to one day be as cool as those who can make content and beat master pro lvl .wads and post my UV 100 runs on the tube

P.S i know i sound like a dumb fan boy 

I'm enjoying this so far. Shows just how much DeHackEd can offer even with the new emerging technologies within the id Tech 1 world.

EDIT: Finished this with 3 out of 4 secrets found. I gotta say this is a brilliant mod. The freezer weapon is nothing short of amusement, and I like the baron variants, even though I do find them overpowered at times.

Design-wise, I find the stalagmites on the outdoor part a bit too annoying. Sure, they provide protection from enemies' projectiles but they also block yours'. Otherwise, it's pretty excellent. Not exactly big or colorful, but it still works for me.

Edited by taufan99