Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FractalBeast

First time playing Thy Flesh Consumed and I must vent my frustration

My rage knows no bounds and cannot be constrained by words! It's a good thing I didn't know this episode even existed as a child.

Just wow. People weren't joking when they said this was a spike in difficulty.

Should I just abandon my plan to 100%/100%/100% E4 or is it possible? That NIN secret is fucking me up mate.

You need to lure the barons to the red key with the cage and save enough rockets to have any hope of maxing E4M1

Little Tip for Episode 4. FOR THE LOVE OF F**KING GOD! SKIP ALL THE ARMOUR IN MAP 01. Seriously! You'll need EVERY drop of armour for Perfect Hatred!

Past that you're good to go. I don't remember any other map giving me a problem outside the first 2 and maaaybe the secret level.

I looked up a walkthrough for E4M1 and used the cage and infighting to solve my problems. 100%/100%/100%'ed the whole thing. Now I have a viable route, I actually really like the level. That was some massive amount of value out of one tiny level!

If you aren't speed running you can just run to the left side on e4m1's start and lure\kill everything one by one while hiding behind a pillar. Everything else in that map is a joke if you are playing slow. In e4m2 there is a soulsphere in the lava, Get the rad suit and kill the cacos in the lava, rest of the map can be played slowly. Enjoy e4m6, it is going to be the worst of the bunch to max!

Oddly enough, I find e4m6 harder than e4m1 and e4m2. Episode 4 is still lot easier than Plutonia though.

Only maps 1, 2 and 6 of this episode are truly difficult. 

For M1, use cover as much as possible, and FIND THAT ROCKET LAUNCHER! It will save your arse during the Baron encounter (lure them to the Red Key bars, as Dime said). 

For M2, you need to be quick (as opposed to slow like in M1). Bump the BFG in the Mega Armour room. This'll make life 10 times easier. The start is easily the toughest part. 

For M6, it's all about taking your time with the different locations. Use the given resources wisely. 

I replayed through it on ultra-violence with brutal doom about a couple of years ago and didn't find any of it hard at all. It's a decent episode but falls short of the original three. 

Kind of an unpopular opinion, but Thy Flesh Consumed is probably my favorite chapter from Ultimate Doom. It definitely is a spike in difficulty, but if you can get through the first 2 maps, you should be good to go. If I remember correctly, there is an inaccessible secret in map 3, but you should be able to get it be noclipping (again I'm not 100% sure). I still think it's worth at least trying a 100%.

2 hours ago, Ajora said:

I replayed through it on ultra-violence with brutal doom about a couple of years ago and didn't find any of it hard at all. It's a decent episode but falls short of the original three. 

At risk of causing a massive shitstorm of legendary proportions...

...doesn't BrutalDoom make just about everything except the most insane slaughtermaps easy?

25 minutes ago, FractalBeast said:

...doesn't BrutalDoom make just about everything except the most insane slaughtermaps easy?

It's sort of mixed. On one hand, there are so many weapons and they feel powerful as fuck. On the other hand, there are more enemy types and they feel more challenging and complex.

E4 really isn't that bad.  First three levels are tough, but ultimately, not all too hard.  Difficulty falls off rather fast once you hit E4M4, with a minor bump in E4M6.

Here are some tips if you're having trouble.

E4M1 - Secrets, secrets, secrets.  Get the rocket launcher early, use the secret door in the ambush room.  Grab the skull and run until you can use the stairway itself as cover.

E4M2 - Be patient.  It's going to take time to drop the barons in the yellow skull room.  Try to take out the barons by the teleporter early, and proceed carefully through the cavern.  Telefrag that Cyberdemon and get the BFG.  Period.

E4M3 - Make a break for the switch next to the start, and haul ass to the Invuln on the other end of the catwalk.  Clear some breathing room, and then you can finish the level without much resistance.  Hardest part is the very start of the map, and that's it.

Hope that helps.

1 hour ago, FractalBeast said:

No, not at all. Brutal Doom is faster and generally more challenging than vanilla Doom. Your weapons are a bit stronger, but at the same time, enemies can take you down very, very quickly. 

E4 is the best episode honestly. There is only 1 map that I really hate which is that map with the large room and pillar in the middle and cyberdemon nearby.

I love E4 as whole Ultimate Doom. I play (all wads) on Ultra Violence only and always beat it with all kills and secrets. E4M1 requires you to count every single bullet, shell and rocket. E4M2 requires you to save game often. If you want to see a really HARD map, try "The Eye" wad. It will prove that Thy Flesh Consumed is piece of cake.

E4M1 was heaps of fun, but I utterly despise E4M2. It's one big janky rollercoaster, doesn't have a comfortable flow that you can slip into like you have with E4M1. Yeah, it feels good to finish it, but it's not fun.

I'll agree that the verticality and zooming around that central lava lake is some great map layout, but it's just horrid to play - at least for me. But I guess that's exactly what John Romero intended, so I'll give him props for just making such an excellent fuck-you map.

while i love E4M1 (hey, it is not that hard after all -- just don't "sturm-und-drang" it, play slow), i was never able to get past E4M2. after some time i just stopped trying, and only playing E4M1 from time to time (did i said that i love it?).