Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Austinado

Make a room in open space with high ceiling??

Question

Ok so probably this is very basic, but i have struggling in making a room in a open space wich the ceiling is too high! I have tryied to search it in tutorials in youtube but its not being easy to find. I cant find a way to close it..because of the upper...the images are the example...Can someone try to explain how i do it...or does youtube have an video on it? Thanks... 

doom2o18.jpg

doom2017.jpg

12 answers to this question

I'm not entirely sure I understand what the problem is, but just by the looks of it what's causing the room to not "close" is the fact the the upper sector there still has F_SKY1 or whatever it's called as the ceiling texture, and that always makes it such that the sidedefs of that sector are drawn as "sky" when you're in the game. So once you have a different ceiling texture the room will display as normal, assuming you put down textures as well.

2 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

I'm not entirely sure I understand what the problem is, but just by the looks of it what's causing the room to not "close" is the fact the the upper sector there still has F_SKY1 or whatever it's called as the ceiling texture, and that always makes it such that the sidedefs of that sector are drawn as "sky" when you're in the game. So once you have a different ceiling texture the room will display as normal, assuming you put down textures as well.

The thing is, that i need the gap between the room and the ceiling...nothing in bwtween...

DOOM2EX.jpg

Not sure if I can be of much help, but I want to try to help anyway.

Try making a room without a roof. After finishing that, use a 3D floor as a roof.

In case you do not know how to make 3D floors, then here: @Chubzdoomer's video on 3D floors should be perfect for you.

It's a little outdated, but it still works last time I checked.

29 minutes ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

Not sure if I can be of much help, but I want to try to help anyway.

Try making a room without a roof. After finishing that, use a 3D floor as a roof.

In case you do not know how to make 3D floors, then here: @Chubzdoomer's video on 3D floors should be perfect for you.

It's a little outdated, but it still works last time I checked.

Man i cant describe ao many thankfull i am to you....i downloaded the hings he asked instead of the official version....amazing program...now i have to learn the doom builder again...more perfected. Im new at this...just finishing my first Wad...many thanks! ;)

3 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

this does what I gather from how you explained what you want:
room.zip

Edit: Seems I understood it wrong perhaps

Almost that, i meant a simple room closed in a area with high ceiling. the gap is between the closed ceiling(top) and the ceiling above ;)

7 minutes ago, Austinado said:

Man i cant describe ao many thankfull i am to you....i downloaded the hings he asked instead of the official version....amazing program...now i have to learn the doom builder again...more perfected. Im new at this...just finishing my first Wad...many thanks! ;)

I think that some of the stuff he mentioned are outdated since it is from 2011. Want to build a map with the most modern tool? Get GZDoom Builder 2 (bugfix version, not regular version; regular version isn't updated anymore).

ZDoom has been discontinued since 2016, get GZDoom if you are using ZDoom.

Just now, crazyflyingdonut said:

I think that some of the stuff he mentioned are outdated since it is from 2011. Want to build a map with the most modern tool? Get GZDoom Builder 2 (bugfix version, not regular version; regular version isn't updated anymore).

ZDoom has been discontinued since 2016, get GZDoom if you are using ZDoom.

Thanks ! i will!

1 minute ago, Austinado said:

Almost that, i meant a simple room closed in a area with high ceiling. the gap is between the closed ceiling(top) and the ceiling above ;)

you can do that even in vanilla but the problem is you need to be mindful where you do that, because it can create "cutoffs":room2.jpg.cf7352912c7ba9b23c1801ebb58a3712.jpg

that room has a ceiling in it, but you can see that the sky cuts off the ASHWALL behind it. If you put these in places where players can't see this issue, then you're okay, but for your map it probably doesn't work like that.

Just now, Nine Inch Heels said:

you can do that even in vanilla but the problem is you need to be mindful where you do that, because it can create "cutoffs":room2.jpg.cf7352912c7ba9b23c1801ebb58a3712.jpg

that room has a ceiling in it, but you can see that the sky cuts off the ASHWALL behind it. If you put these in places where players can't see this issue, then you're okay, but for your map it probably doesn't work like that.

Yes exactly!

Here's another way of doing it vanilla. It's called faux 3D, afaik, and it just tries to make it look as if there was a ceiling when in reality there is none. Note that this solution can be slightly tedious to use if you need to do it to often per map:

room2.zip

How the end result looks also depends on what textures you have available, mind.