Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps

2 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

@meapineapple, that project is crazy. If I did it, every level would be like one square room with two monsters and an exit.

@xdarkmasterx, absolutely. I won't be recording for a bit, though. And could you link the thread for the map?

2 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

@meapineapple, that project is crazy. If I did it, every level would be like one square room with two monsters and an exit.

@xdarkmasterx, absolutely. I won't be recording for a bit, though. And could you link the thread for the map?

YES of course i link the map thread FRED thread

yes i said FRED &*£@ the logic mann were too tire d for this $#!%

th?id=OIP.WC2qiaVIiG8DmAKBewHR7wHaHa%26p

@meapineapple

Doomworld forum topic

download the .zip

First things first: very good speedmapping effort. What bothers me in this map is pretty much entirely Things. Even more specifically, it’s ammo. It’s also low on health, but I think the lack of health contributes decently to the aura. The low ammo was just frustrating for me. It made parts of the map tedious and/or boring. I am not going to chainsaw or berserk every given lone enemy. I am also not going to go out of my way to make things infight and double my play time in the process. These seem to be the only ways to have a decent supply of ammo. When I did have a lot of ammo was when I was really enjoying the map, but that only lasted for a while. I do like the design – somewhat mazey, but rooms with purpose and a nice use of different height levels in some places. I also really like how monsters, often in good sized swarms, get released at unpredictable points and far away to come hunt you down.

Bottom line: It’s not really unique, but it’s a nice take on a Wolfenstein level that has too scarce ammo for my liking.

@HAK3180 It was a lot of fun to watch my minions join the party from other rooms and sometimes sneak up on you.

I designed the map in such a way that you'd probably have to try a couple of times to find a route before the concluding fight that visits areas with more ammo before visiting the areas with more monsters. I feel so bad for you that you triggered the big rev encounter before you found even one proper ammo or weapon cache. And it hurt seeing you try to tackle the short maze area without getting the plasma gun and all those cells first. I can see how that ended up frustrating for you, so I may try to redistribute the ammo a bit.

I'm also actually not sure how you ended up with so little ammo in that last room. I never had a problem with that during playtesting, and I tested ammo balance without any secrets. I did notice a fair number of misses with the chaingun...?

I'm astonished by your playthrough time. An hour! I was expecting a normal playthrough to take only about half that long, or less. Thanks for taking the time to power through it.

8:30 - WHY DID YOU SAVE OVER YOUR PREVIOUS SAVE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE FIGHT AT ZERO AMMO AND 25% HEALTH WHAT THE HECK DUDE?

Ahem.

Thank you for playing! How do you feel about testing more nanowadmo maps? I've got 13 done so far, and I intend to have a full 32-map megawad before December.

@meapineapple, Yeah, I'd be glad to play more of these. The hour is a little misleading since I had a few decently long saveless death runs. The final time was 38:13. I save over in bad situations because I try as best I can to create a "true" FDA rather than, say, saving a second file and knowing I can avoid that path if it turns out bad. And if I really start banging my head against a wall, I won't hesitate to cheat for health.

Ok, here are three more maps. The file name number for each map (map02.wad, map08.wad, map11.wad) is just the order in which I've made them, not the order that they're likely to appear in the megawad. 

Map #2 is a short city themed map with a ton of former humans and chaingun combat.

Map #8 is a sort of nonlinear maze in a crates area. Describing it that way makes it sound unappealing I think, but it was one of my favorite to playtest.

Map #11 is a small techbase map and the theme is "hahaha fuck you, wrong door. try another".

meapineapple nanowadmo prerelease 18-11-11.zip

@xdarkmasterx

Doomworld forum topic

The beginning is a bit linear and then the finale is like a shrunk version of the mapper’s usual style, which is collect keys in any order and survive the monsters all over the place in an interconnected layout. I like the combat. As usual, it’s well thought out and challenging. The visuals, as usual, are a bit sub par, but there are some nice touches here and there.

Bottom line: As usual, it’s a fun map. I think xdarkmasterx would get a lot more attention if his visuals were at least 5-6/10 material, but they’re usually just not great.

@meapineapple

(I had it backwards thinking this was to be in the 02 slot. It was just made second.)

Doomworld forum topic
download the .zip

Evidently this map has a lot of bonus secret content because I killed everything I saw for a total of 52% kills with no secrets. What I played was decent – pretty basic city setup but the human action was suitable. I did not care for the arch-vile or demon usage here; the map itself trivialized how to deal with them.

Bottom line: It’s alright, but it was over too soon for me

Yeah, that whole map was supposed to go a lot differently than it did. What port were you playing in? It looks like the map's "teleport to line with same tag" linedefs might not have been working. I've been mapping in Boom format, but most of the maps have only been tested in Zandronum so far.

But then, I used the same trick in the Wolfenstein map and all the SS guys seemed to teleport in like they were supposed to..?

Edit: I have no idea when or how, but it looks like a linedef that was needed to make the teleports work correctly got removed sometime between my testing this map and sending it to you. Here's a fixed version in case you're interested:

meapineapple nanowadmo map02 fix.zip

Edited by meapineapple

@meapineapple, in the new one there was still a closet of monsters that didn't teleport. I played PrBoom+ -complevel 9 the first time and GZDoom just a moment ago.

I recorded Map 08 about the same time on PrBoom+ and don't think there were any problems.

Doomworld forum topic

Download the .zip

I like the vibe in this map a lot – just dark enough, a nice setup of sergeants to terrify you as you navigate the maze, and fun big encounters at key points that also serve to open the level up a bit and give you supplies.

Bottom line: Short and sweet crate maze with a great atmosphere

Hmm, I'll have to test map #2 a bit more. Can you say which closet that was of the three?

And hey I really appreciate your playtesting and your videos! These maps are definitely going to be more rough than those of mine you played before, since they haven't been tested or polished as thoroughly yet as my maps normally are before I release them out into the wild. Your playtesting gives me a chance to see what's good about or wrong with the maps that were a little more experimental or outside my normal style, and it's also quite motivating to watch somebody play the parts that worked out well.

About map #8: Thank you for playing! I'm glad you had so much fun with this one. I think this one took about 4 hours. Maybe 5? I haven't been keeping track really.

It gave me much joy around 3:30 when you were lulled into a false sense of security by the lack of an immediate response for grabbing the key. I'm a little bit disappointed in you for not getting the green armor secret, though! 

@meapineapple, okay, last time I was just rushing through to see the changes and died and resurrected, so I thought the issue might have been targeting related. Just now I got almost everyone to come to the party, but I had to idclip for three enemies who were never alerted. I played yet again and a bunch of monsters never showed up. Iddt showed them walking toward the teleporter but at some point they appeared not to be targeting me anymore; I idclipped over to look and they were walking in place. I shot and then they started moving and teleporting again. It was happening with multiple closets, mostly in the far left.

@xdarkmasterx

Doomworld forum topic

This is a well done map. It has nice visual touches, a fun, interconnected design that lets you do the level in any order, enough supplies that seem to be placed with the open layout in mind, and a sufficient challenge, even on easy. One area was significantly more problematic than the rest, but it was basically signed as such and had plenty of supplies to get through it.

Bottom line: I like this mapper’s (usual) style and this is one of his best looking

Edited by HAK3180

to answer both questions in video:

1- this map is vanilla (some areas cause HOM from too many linedefs though)

2- music is from rise of the triad

anyway thank you for playing my maps im glad u like them :)

Maybe you want to give a try on this multilevel wad:

IWAD: doom2.wad

Compatible with Zandronum and GZdoom.

Levels: 9

DOWNLOAD

Will take 40 to 50 minutes to finish depending on the skill.

@apatuka

Doomworld forum topic

Another episode inspired by Knee Deep in the Dead. If you’re looking for lots of innovation in every wad you play, this may not be for you, at least based on the first map, but I found it to be enjoyable enough. It has a few custom textures, custom music, and enough of the old school charm to make it playable. It’s a little too easy for how long it is and how many supplies there are. There wasn’t much multidirectional threat, but there were at least two soulspheres, a backpack, plenty of rockets, and all the bullets and shells you would ever need.

Bottom line: a little bit underwhelming but enough good to make you keep playing

Edited by HAK3180 : formatting...

@apatuka

Doomworld forum topic

I felt this map simultaneously showed more mapping experience and less experience than Map 01. It was more detailed and geometrically more interesting. It was a bit more challenging in some places. But it also had an odd progression with some remote switches and a very strange red key pickup that you would never expect, unless I missed something. There were also a number of demons/spectres not used all that well and the combat in general tended toward campy.

Bottom line: Pretty nice looking map with inconsistent gameplay

On 11/26/2018 at 11:53 PM, HAK3180 said:

@apatuka

Doomworld forum topic

I felt this map simultaneously showed more mapping experience and less experience than Map 01. It was more detailed and geometrically more interesting. It was a bit more challenging in some places. But it also had an odd progression with some remote switches and a very strange red key pickup that you would never expect, unless I missed something. There were also a number of demons/spectres not used all that well and the combat in general tended toward campy.

Bottom line: Pretty nice looking map with inconsistent gameplay

I thought placing the red key on the start would make the map more "puzzling" but i see it confuse the player of what is missing, i need to make more intuitive.
Thanks so much for playing, i'm taking note from the feedback to make some adjustments and hopefully make a better experience on the next episode.

Edited by apatuka

@apatuka

Doomworld forum topic

This is a workable layout with some pleasing scenery. Nothing groundbreaking, but nice tech base touches in a pretty tight environment. Combat wise, there were fewer moments where fights didn’t work at all. There were some fights that would have worked pretty well with fewer supplies, like the yellow key trap. Overall there is still a lack of fear on the player’s part because it seems you’re going to be prepared for almost all of the combat, both mentally and supply-wise.

Bottom line: It’s easy, but not boringly so, and it has a fun layout that could perhaps use a few visual upgrades.

Edited by HAK3180

@meapineapple

Doomworld forum topic

There’s not a lot of health or armor, but there are a lot of hitscanners. That combination can be conducive to camping, which is definitely the safest way to handle this map, but it’s certainly not necessary. I happened to get unlucky on a revenant rocket in that it was both homing and 80% damage dealing, so that kinda ruined my run in a low health map, but I certainly wouldn’t call it unfair. It was also a simple concept that works: slightly modified hub + 3 key deal with big traps at key points, but they weren’t super cliché traps.

Bottom line: My hat’s off to anyone who maps a megawad in a month, and this is a solid start.

8:38 pass two stimpacks

9:12 hit by rev rocket

9:52 talkin shit about my "map philosophy" of "not a lotta health or armor"

10:30 pick up some entirely other stimpack, even while talkin shit about health balance

> never go back for the two stimpacks

Can you see me, can you see me shaking my head in dismay

Thank you for playing though! I'm glad you liked the map. There was in fact a more hefty armor pickup, but it was in a secret. I'm surprised you never found the other two secrets in that map, especially after you found the chaingun secret so easily. (And nice job on that by the way.)

15 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@apatuka

Doomworld forum topic

This is a workable layout with some pleasing scenery. Nothing groundbreaking, but nice tech base touches in a pretty tight environment. Combat wise, there were fewer moments where fights didn’t work at all. There were some fights that would have worked pretty well with fewer supplies, like the yellow key trap. Overall there is still a lack of fear on the player’s part because it seems you’re going to be prepared for almost all of the combat, both mentally and supply-wise.

Bottom line: It’s easy, but not boringly so, and it has a fun layout that could perhaps use a few visual upgrades.

Dear @HAK3180, your record  stops on 2:56, looks like it's not completed. But glad the 3rd map it's visually better.

Edited by apatuka

@apatuka, Oh, no! What happened? I really should pay more attention after I do the recording. I will redo 3 and change out the video in the post above.

Edited by HAK3180

@apatuka, it was an uploading error, not a recording error, and I still have the file, so I will just upload again and you can see the rest of the FDA.

@xdarkmasterx, Come on, man. You gotta at least say it's multiple maps. Please just always link me the thread.

Youtube and/or my PC and/or my Internet speed is suddenly extremely slow. Video sizes that took under an hour are now looking like over a full day. So there will be some delays. Hopefully something changes pretty soon.

Edited by HAK3180

@apatuka (check out Map 03 above too)

Doomworld forum topic

This map is fine to look at with a lot more of the CC4 (I believe) textures and features a standard progression with a fair amount of the level opening itself up. And the combat did finally get a lot more challenging. Unfortunately for me, that was entirely due to custom monsters, some of which were basically bosses. I don’t really like a lot of custom monsters, especially bosses, especially bosses whose attributes and stats are not readily obvious. So once I encountered three at once, one of whom did not want to die with what I thought was ~100 plasma rounds, it became a mad dash to the exit for me.

Bottom line: I don’t like it, but that’s almost entirely because of high-powered custom monsters