Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aquila Chrysaetos

Eagle Mapping Project - Final (Now on idgames)

I've finished my second map, finally, with two days to spare. You're all free to play with it.

AC-RK2.0

Tested with GLBoom+ 2.5.1.5, complevel 17, both with and without secrets.

Difficulties are implemented, but only UV is tested.

Cooperative starts are there, but coop is otherwise ignored.

For now the BFG isn't tagged as secret, but that will be fixed in the final version.

@Aquila Chrysaetos @BioRenegat
Thanks for playing and for your feedback! Glad you enjoyed it. Here's a v2 with fixes for the stuff you mentioned, plus a few other bugfixes and minor tweaks.

I wondered if it would be possible to get that soulsphere early! As you say, I don't think it's an issue.

I thought about trapping the player for the end fight and decided against it initially (maybe just being lazy)... but the player is now trapped in on a timer. I watched your run @BioRenegat and I was also going to try and force you to move into the fight with the invul sphere, but kept it as it is in the end. It's a nice reward for the final fight if you can get through that with a spare.

I had a play in prboom+ and noticed there are still weird lines in the sky. I thought they were just where brightnesses didn't match, but it seemed to be something else I couldn't fix - not visible in zdoom at least.

@Aquila Chrysaetos I'll go for red for the text.

Updated link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0dedifky3wnf59e/eagle_pdt_34.wad?dl=0

Finally finished my map and got it somewhere I'm happy with.

Link - https://www.mediafire.com/file/xz4vromn327h6cb/Reclaimed+Facility+v3.wad (Updated again)

Are there any good guides for setting up and installing PRBOOM? I downloaded it and my game just looks like garbage the resolution was terrible with seemingly no way to edit any of these things. I guess it sounds fairly nooby but I usually just play things with GZDOOM and thus tested my map with GZDOOM after giving up on PRBOOM. As far as I'm aware there should be no issues. Hopefully it isn't horribly broken and I wasted weeks building it lol

Anyway the name of the map is Reclaimed Facility and features a midi from Mega Man X. I'm not sure if you're keen on having copyrighted music in your wad @Aquila Chrysaetos so let me know. There are 3 main themes, being an old abandoned run down tech facility, the cave system and the modern tech facility studying both these locations. If you think some areas look bland or weird feel free to edit them.

I've implemented difficulties but no coop features. There is one section of the map where you drop down a big hole with no way to return to the first half of the map, is a teleporter necessary so players can go back and find any secrets or power ups they missed?
Let me know how you think the map plays, cheers!

Screenshot_Doom_20181130_112836.png

Screenshot_Doom_20181130_112859.png

Screenshot_Doom_20181130_112915.png

Edit: Fixed some texture issues, added a secret, added a teleporter after pit fall, added coop starts, fixed stuck monsters, balancing changes mostly on UV

Edited by Bushpig2dope

To avoid time zone confusion, I'm technically keeping the deadline while extending it, in a way.

The official deadline is 11:00 AM UTC December 1st (where in Midway, the "most behind" timezone I can find, it will be midnight of the 30th).

Your map needs to be "complete," that is, difficulties implemented, layout and thing placement obviously finished. Tweaks and testing can still be done after the deadline.

@Bushpig2dope, I like your map. It looks nice and I like how it plays.

I don't see any problem with there being a MegaMan midi, since Stardate 20X6, for example, uses a Streets of Rage midi in one of its maps.

A few issues I noticed, though:

doom145.png

The flat on the bottom of the door looks a little tacky to me. I think the brown ceiling flat would be best to use there.

doom146.png

The Demolisher can get stuck rather easily like that. I'd suggest making the lift edges block monster lines to prevent that.

doom147.png

I think this guy is stuck.

I liked the ending in particular, it gave me a nice surprise to have to face a vile and two cyberdemons at once.

It was rather easy, overall, but a good experience, nonetheless.

Also, to install PRBoom+, you just need to create a directory for it and move the engine and its parts into it, then move your IWAD's into the same folder, just like with ZDoom.

Setting up PRBoom might take a little time, though, to get right.

13 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

A few issues I noticed, though:

The flat on the bottom of the door looks a little tacky to me. I think the brown ceiling flat would be best to use there.

The Demolisher can get stuck rather easily like that. I'd suggest making the lift edges block monster lines to prevent that.

I think this guy is stuck.

Should be fixed now - https://www.mediafire.com/file/puzc70j9ccfrccc/Reclaimed+Facility+v2.wad

16 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

To avoid time zone confusion, I'm technically keeping the deadline while extending it, in a way.

The official deadline is 11:00 AM UTC December 1st (where in Midway, the "most behind" timezone I can find, it will be midnight of the 30th).

Your map needs to be "complete," that is, difficulties implemented, layout and thing placement obviously finished. Tweaks and testing can still be done after the deadline.

It looks like I will be taking advantage of this extension, but I should have it my map done and submitted.

Edited by Pegleg : Clarification of "it"

My map is done!, it's a short level (about 6 to 8 minutes), tentative name is 'Hidden beyond the mountains'. Feel free to replace the music.

Difficulties have been implemented, but there might be some balancing issues since i had little time to test things, so i hope to tweak this further...anyway some screens!
3KTssY6.png

weBK4bZ.png

xnnmQH9.png

vEaBtBs.png

eaglesubmission.zip

I really wanted to make another map, so I did. I hope it's not too late!

There are difficulty settings and has been tested in prboom+ (very quickly and haphazardly)

The track used was dl'd from the Mod Archive and is titled "Esoteric II"

Screenshots:

Spoiler

LDJOJ2m.png

uVqQfTf.png

There's really not much too it, it's essentially a speed map. (also I just realized I broke the rules by not having a midi or ogg track, shoot, I knew I did something wrong).

eaglechristmas.zip

Edited by NoReason

@NoReason

It's bit off topic for this CP, but looking at your style choices in Esoteric II, you should consider submitting a map to the Zekhmet CP.

On topic for this CP, the Christmas vibe is nice with the red and the green. It looks festive and fitting for the time of year.

@Pegleg Nevermind, I understand what you meant now that I've actually found the zekhmet thread lol.

Edited by NoReason : fixing a misunderstanding on my part

Here is my map. I said I would use the extension, although I didn't plan on using so much of it. There's less than 1 hour left before 11 AM UTC. There is still something wrong with some of the teleporting monsters, but I figure I can fix that in the next few days.

Title: Winter's Reach

It should be a short map (maybe 5-10 minutes). There should be enough ammo. Health may be scarce. It's not enemy-rich (96 on UV). I was going for sort of a squalid stone building in a snowy mountain valley that had been converted into a squalid, now defunct quasi-techbase.

Let me know the issues you find. I know I'm forgetting screenshots, but it's late. I'll upload them soon. I hope the lack of screenshots doesn't disqualify the entry--they will be forthcoming.

@Bushpig2dope So, I checked your map, and, good lord, if it isn't a treat. Definitely enjoyed it for sure. I can't add really much, since Aquila summed up everything pretty well, but there is one problem, which practically killed my whole run, (I recorded it, by the way, here is a link to the demo https://www.dropbox.com/s/k6v5wc7bsc7vw1a/Recfac.lmp?dl=0, I think it will give you some additional insights, or something (just to clarify, it's my first run)), the final lift to the exit can be lowered only once (seems like you used s1 action instead of sr), which is, well, not exactly a good thing, since you are getting soft locked. Other than that, absolutely marvelous creation.

Edited by BioRenegat

14 hours ago, BioRenegat said:

@Bushpig2dope So, I checked your map, and, good lord, if it isn't a treat. Definitely enjoyed it for sure. I can't add really much, since Aquila summed up everything pretty well, but there is one problem, which practically killed my whole run, (I recorded it, by the way, here is a link to the demo https://www.dropbox.com/s/k6v5wc7bsc7vw1a/Recfac.lmp?dl=0, I think it will give you some additional insights, or something (just to clarify, it's my first run)), the final lift to the exit can be lowered only once (seems like you used s1 action instead of sr), which is, well, not exactly a good thing, since you are getting soft locked. Other than that, absolutely marvelous creation.

My god how could I be so stupid! What a run killer! Thanks for the demo, that really provided some great insight for balancing and what have you so thanks for that. And thanks for the compliments, it means a lot. Its good to hear that I'm improving as a map maker. I'll patch that elevator right now!

EDIT: Updated the download link on my original post with the patch. Also a few balancing things to make it a tad bit harder

Edited by Bushpig2dope

@DMPhobos I checked our your map, its bloody fun. Non-stop action and a variety of different directions to take and places to explore, great job. I loved the Mancubi use in this map also! I love a good Mancubus fight. The problems I have with the map are so small and insignificant it shows how great your map is, but thought it worth mentioning for the hell of it.

Screenshot_Doom_20181203_122644.png
Enemies (Particular the chaingunners) can sometimes walk up on the ledge in screenshot 1, not really affecting gameplay but I thought it a bit jarring

Screenshot_Doom_20181203_173001.png
Screenshot 2 simply shows a misaligned texture near the super shotgun spawn

missing t.png
And one last thing, a missing texture

EDIT: Oh and the Archvile jumped me off the final fight platform, not sure if intended but also thought it worth mentioning 

Edited by Bushpig2dope

@Bushpig2dope
Thanks for the feedback! im glad you enjoyed the map and i'll be checking those issues, as for the archvile jump, well it is an unfortunate side effect by how the arena was made, but not a huge issue, i could fix it but that would mean making the lines in the arena 'impassable' and that would block flying monsters from moving in and out, so i'll leave it as it is. Besides i kinda like the idea that an archvile jump to the exit is possible hehe

I've compiled the resources and the maps together into a temporary file for you all to poke around in.

This is not RC1 yet, that will come soon, this is still incomplete, though not by much, but this is the best way for feedback to get around.

EMProj-temp.7z

You'll need a program that can open 7z files to get the wad.

Here's is the updated version of Winter's Reach.

I fixed the problems with the enemies not teleporting in like they should. I added some more ammo and health, so hopefully that helps with some of the issues.

I'm pretty sure I also fixed a problem with a soft lock if you left the building by a non-obvious route.

Today is the day.

EMproj-RC1.7z

We are officially at Release Candidate 1 stage. The only thing that remains to be done for the final version is the text screens for maps 6-7 and 11-12.

Now we can begin proper final playtesting and debugging.

This is also the time to let me know if the latest version of your map isn't here, or you need to make some last minute edits, like a midi change, something in the map, etc.

If you downloaded it already, redownload it, I had to fix a sky transfer issue I screwed in a couple maps.

Edited by Aquila Chrysaetos

On 12/9/2018 at 12:55 AM, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

Today is the day.

EMproj-RC1.7z

We are officially at Release Candidate 1 stage. The only thing that remains to be done for the final version is the text screens for maps 6-7 and 11-12.

Now we can begin proper final playtesting and debugging.

This is also the time to let me know if the latest version of your map isn't here, or you need to make some last minute edits, like a midi change, something in the map, etc.

If you downloaded it already, redownload it, I had to fix a sky transfer issue I screwed in a couple maps.

Ok, so somehow the spider fight on my map is broken again. I'll get around to fixing that tomorrow 

EDIT: OK so I did some testing and its actually not broken in PRBOOM and GZDOOM, but it was actually my Smooth Doom screwing it up, weird. Has anyone else found The Demolisher to get stuck? If its inconsistent I may just need to make the platform he sits on bigger.

Oh and can I have the text for my map purple instead of white if we're still doing custom colours, I should have said this earlier, sorry

Edited by Bushpig2dope

On 12/9/2018 at 2:34 AM, Bushpig2dope said:

Oh and can I have the text for my map purple instead of white if we're still doing custom colours, I should have said this earlier, sorry

CWILV02.png

Is this good? That's about as close as I can get with this palette.

Also, is everything fine with this already? I expected more discussion.

1 hour ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

CWILV02.png

That looks fine, though perhaps a bit bright. Understandable given the palette's limitations.

I'm hoping to test the wad out soon. Is it alright if I ask that a normal zipped version be uploaded, since I have notorious troubles getting 7z files unzipped and working? (I got GZdoom 1.5 and its builder to unzip, but I can't get the newest version of GZdoom to unzip at all, which is really frustrating.)

Congrats on the release!. I gave this a quick try, first three maps completed and stopped there, UV and pistol starts. Here are a few comments in spoilers:

Spoiler

- Map01: The first thing I did was to search for weapons, given that a bunch of dudes quickly blocked my way to the big water pool, and I ended up teleporting in a cave with the TEK (turquoise eagle key). The trap can be skipped and it's a good thing that monsters can chase you through the teleport, they can infinite height you if you didn't get the secret before, but otherwise there's not much of a point on returning to that whole area. I suppose you went for something more fast-paced instead of a lock-in, which is fine imo. My only gripe was the secret switch, the sector there is very narrow and it was really hard to flip it. Hope I didn't miss any glitches. Good map. Pinkies become blinkies at close distance lol.

- Map02: Nazi soldiers! They look fitting in turquoise. It's a very forgiving map, almost too much for UV. I would change the initial armor for a 100% one and leave the soulsphere for lower settings, since you can get a secret one later. A couple very minor details about the YEK fight, first is that I found out the cyberdemon won't teleport if the baron wasn't killed before. You get plenty of rockets that nobody will ignore the baron (I think), if he didn't die in infighting, but even so I'd trade him for one/two chaingunners on UV for a bit more threat imo and to make sure the cyber will appear later. The second detail is that you can push a revenant off the ledge, but this isn't a big deal. Another good map.

- Map03: Ammo was very tight, that I skipped the last bit of cyberdemons. I also forgot that I had the berserk so my bad there, but a player that don't find the secrets might struggle with killing everything, not sure, infighting helped a lot though. Also, how much health has the demolisher?. Because it soaked up a lot of ammo. It might be possible to grab the REK, leave her alive and use the cyberdemons to infight with her. Map was cool anyways.

Also, because the skull keys are eagle keys now, they should appear as such in the status bar too imo. They look really dope.

I think it would be better to clarify in the thread's title that you released the first candidate, so it gets more attraction.

5 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

What are the colors available with this palette.

From what I can tell, magenta, white, turquoise, orange, and red. Are there others?

7 hours ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

CWILV02.png

Looks good