Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: Ultimate Doom The Way id Did

25 minutes ago, Alfonzo said:
  • This is a blind run. If I have played or watched any of the level/set being played before, I can't remember the details of any one area in a way that would offer an advantage over truly blind players.
  • This is a blind run. If I have played or watched any of the level/set being played before, I can't remember the details of any one area in a way that would offer an advantage over truly blind players.

I think you repeated yourself here, Alfonzo. I was confused why there was suddenly a fourth category.

I'll be doing my run here SoonTM, but it might be a minute with other things going on at the moment.

Announcement for all demo recorders: if you could name your .lmps beginning with "dwironman," this would be a big help. It isn't mandatory, but it does make the task of getting through a large number of demos in one sitting easier, since I don't need to type fresh characters into the command line constantly. Either prboom+ or my frontend searches for the first 8(?) characters in the file name, so all I'd need to do is drag and drop using the same parameters. Thanks!

Quick question: will this be treated as if it were multiple wads (that is, one demo per episode), but for a singular attempt (die on E1M7, can't move on to E2, 3, 4)?

It's not covered in the rules that I can see, so I figured I should ask.

I also understand that a ZDoom 2.8.1 demo wouldn't be accepted, even with the proper compatibility settings?

Oh, I'm sorry, I made a poor assumption.

You will only be playing episode 4. There is no need to load this WAD alongside DTWiD, though that is the intended method for casual play (the dehacked strings also support names and par times for the first three episodes). We already played DTWiD this time last year!

7 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

I also understand that a ZDoom 2.8.1 demo wouldn't be accepted, even with the proper compatibility settings?

ZDoom demos are currently not supported in DWIL, but they may be in the future depending on whether or not I can find a way around being unable to fast-forward/skip content. The fact that we now have a stable "legacy" version is helpful.

Edited by Alfonzo : ZDoom question.

Tomorrow I'll do that map and see if I can finish the mapset without or less problems...probably I can do it for sure.

December and snow don't actually coincide where Alfonzo is.

Though at least Melbourne is a lot cooler than Brisbane is, right now.

I don't usually participate in these, but considering I want to play the WAD anyway I might as well.

TWiD series returns eh? Could've sworn this was DTWiD at first lol.

I'm probably going to die make my run sometime later today.

Am I back to defend my survival of the first DTWID last December?

No. Because I'll go in blind and probably get claimed by The Map which seems to be E4M4 this month. 

Congrats on the release, guys. From what I've seen, it's a great wad in the spirit of DTWiD.
As expected, it's tough as nails with a lot of Sergents, Barons, low health, and mandatory crossings into lava.

The only "non-id" concept I've seen so far is the Baron telefrag sequence on E4M3, which would feel at home in a modern wad (or in a TNT map 02 tribute of some sorts / Final Doom The Way TNT Did). Admittedly, it would have been tedious to kill the Barons the regular way so it probably is better as it is.

E4M4 is a tough beast indeed - on Pistol start it's bound to be a nightmare.
Fortunately, my stack was pretty high from continuous play (including a handy BFG9000 that saved my life on multiple occasions).

E4M5 is no slouch either, heh... Exit was at hand but I decided to try and go for secrets, which led to my demise.
Excellent stuff. :)

dwironman_UDTWiD-RC2-Ironman-Endoctrined-wh.zip

Edited by WH-Wilou84

Well...I accept defeat on this one. Died in the first map...my most pathetic run ever. Blind, GLBoom+ used. Just watch this....

[Category 1, prboom-plus.exe] UDTWiD-JUZAAAA.zip died on E4M2 because of the unnecessary and stupid decision of jumping into the lava (which I thought that was slime, because of software renderer pallete...) when those 2 Cacos startled me

Edited by Juza : Forgot to include the Category/port

DEAD: E4M3 (damaging floor)
CATEGORY: 1

My first Ironman as a 16-er was going so well, I cleared M1 and M2 with relative ease. Then M3 came around, and after setting up I was hit by a Baron and pushed into the nukage and my health quickly deteriorated to 23. Feeling unsafe I kill all of the Barons with guns. Then I entered the teleporter and my brain went like this:

hears demon grunt;

precautiously walks forward;

identifies it as an ordinary demon grunt;

turns around while going forward not scared anymore;

looks at demon (and maybe shoots?);

sees edge of platform briefly;

becomes aware that turning happened too late;

falls into lava;

return 0;

Too bad. It sums up my year of Ironmanning well - every run starts extremely well, then one minor things throws me completely off balance and hurts me more than it should, and I lose my brain. Still, I'm satisfied - at this point I'm 11th and it's looking fairly secure so far. By the numbers a step up from last year; by gameplay, eh, not too much. Though, I got a pyrrhic win over Leo to get BirdBowl to 7-4 in his favour.

dwironman_dec18_naza.zip

Well , I died in the second level...

The health was so scarce that I had the feeling to play A ToD's No health map. :)

Category 1.

DEMO

Just completed watching other runs and I found out my run was on such pace that it would have placed very well had I survived E4M3.

That just shows how important the factor of mistake is, because you can have the best run ever and die to some stupid reason (like what happens to Ancalagon sometimes, how cruel RNG has been to him), while a person who isn't always a contender but somehow strings together a lucky run against all odds can place well.

On 12/2/2018 at 12:50 AM, Alfonzo said:

Potential Game-stoppers and Bugs

• E4M1 has both an inescapable damaging pit and radsuits. This is intended, but because it occurs early in the WAD and this month's challenge is doubling up as a final test run of sorts, I'm letting you off the hook! We want you to die to other things!

So, what does "letting us off the hook" mean, exactly? If we die to the pit, we can restart the level?

Just now, JudgeDeadd said:

So, what does "letting us off the hook" mean, exactly? If we die to the pit, we can restart the level?

I think it means "I wouldn't highlight it normally as it's an intentional part of the gameplay, but we need test runs and it's December so have a warning maybe that way you discover other bugs later on."