Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
R1ck

Is there any video tutorial on wolf3d modding out there?

stupid question, i know. but the only one I found is from moddb and I don't understand a thing.

Nah, not a stupid question. I kinda wish there was a greater interest in Wolfenstein 3D modding in general here. When I find the time, I'd like to get into Wolfenstein 3D mapping/modding before I ever get into Doom mapping/modding. 

To begin with, wolf3d isn't as modable as doom. You'll need the source code and a borland -something- compiler.

If you just want to create a map, then there is the FloEdit, which I used and can recommend.

1 hour ago, NeedHealth said:

You'll need the source code and a borland -something- compiler.

Doesn't ECWolf eliminates the need for that?

58 minutes ago, HavoX said:

Doesn't ECWolf eliminates the need for that?

Apparently it does, but I've never heard of ECWolf. The release date I can find says 2016, which is a couple of years after I made the switch to doom modding. If time wasn't hysterically limited I could have tried it out...

Yeah, ECWolf is basically merging a bunch of the ZDoom modding infrastructure into Wolf3D.  It has Decorate, Map Info, and things like that.

Unfortunately the levels themselves are one of the more cumbersome parts.  ECWolf does have a text-based format similar to UDMF called (unsurprisingly) UWMF but there are no native editors that support it. I might be the only one who's ever done anything with UWMF (I was doing level generation).  To make levels you have to use a normal Wolf map editor and do various hacks to use fancier features.  As someone who is reasonably familiar with Doom editing but has never done Wolf stuff I found them to be very unintuitive (I couldn't even figure out how to make a blank level).

@david_a So you're stuck between a rock and a hard place in wolf3d mapping in 2018? very sad; Either learn borland or UWMF lol.

This is probably not what OP wanted to hear.

No, if you want to make a simple level, you do not need to edit the source code or use UWMF maps. ECWolf supports the classic map format as well.

I thought about writing a modern (for a given value of modern) level editor some time ago, but I never got around to it. I still have a python classic format map writer/reader, sprite and texture reader somewhere that I wrote as a first step. As soon as I reached the stage where I was able to generate map images I lost track debugging memory access problems in the Blakes Stone source port.

If you just want to make your own wolf levels then try HWE  (Havoc Wolf Editor, if memory serves). Together with ECWolf it's pretty simple. More advanced things like changing graphics or sound I don't know about. 

ECWolf Builder when? I would love to make my own Wolf3d maps but as others have pointed out, it's not as easy as Doom.

Now, I haven't been interested in the wolf3d scene for years, but a few years ago I used a pretty great editor called ChaosEdit, which could edit maps and graphics and even sounds. I have no idea if it's still being updated though, or if it supports ECWolf in any way.