Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Robo_Cola

Doom Eternal Pred-shoulder Cannon

What sort of gadgets do you expect this thing has besides grenades and flamethrower?  Does anyone think the hologram from 2016 will return?

Someone made a mention of a summoned Night Sentinel that would aid you on another thread.  That would be an interesting tool if the hologram were to be replaced in a form of a Night Sentinel projection from the shoulder-cannon that can actually deal damage and distract enemies.  It would have to be balanced properly though but it sounds like Eternal's weapons are following a trend of being more efficient versions of the ones seen in 2016.  The flamethrower probably replaces the stun-bomb.

On 12/7/2018 at 7:52 AM, Martin-CAI said:

I want the shoudler cannon to be eliminated. The new doom slayer seems too overpowered.

I'm sure we'll be getting harder encounters to make up for the increased firepower. Merely adding more weapons doesn't exactly equate to a more overpowered character anyway, it's about the balancing.

On 12/7/2018 at 12:52 PM, Martin-CAI said:

I want the shoudler cannon to be eliminated. The new doom slayer seems too overpowered.

Any notion of being overpowered will, I assure you, be quickly overcome by fighting Arch-Viles on Ultra-Nightmare.

On 12/7/2018 at 4:52 AM, Martin-CAI said:

It’s purpose is to use equipment without lowering your gun... just speeds up the action, which is usually a good thing.

And the arm bayonet looks like it is only used in glory kills, which we already had. So it’s basically just a different visual effect for the glory kill, not more powerful. 

I suppose the flamethrower could be considered more powerful than any equipment from 2016, but whatever, it looks awesome. Just cooks the flesh for better ripping and tearing! (Can we glory kill a burning demon???? Or chainsaw one?? Oh, the possibilities....)

Some sort of stunning or blinding gadget like the alt-fire of D2016' Plasma Rifle would be a good use for it, I think. Also, on higher levels/endgame, a health sapping weapon would be nifty. Or a cutting laser that could aim with your line of sight that would do low-level continuous damage. There are lots of possibilities for it!

On 12/9/2018 at 1:14 AM, TheMightyHeracross said:

I'm sure we'll be getting harder encounters to make up for the increased firepower. Merely adding more weapons doesn't exactly equate to a more overpowered character anyway, it's about the balancing.

I didn't express myself very well. I'm not talking about the power that we're going to have in-game, I'm talking about the appearance. The bayonet is okay, but the shoulder cannon is an excesive thing for me. The next Doom Slayer is going to have a rocket on his back.

1 hour ago, Martin-CAI said:

I didn't express myself very well. I'm not talking about the power that we're going to have in-game, I'm talking about the appearance. The bayonet is okay, but the shoulder cannon is an excesive thing for me. The next Doom Slayer is going to have a rocket on his back.

As bj25x said above, it's not just for looks; it keeps the game at a fast pace since you no longer need to lower your weapon when throwing a grenade or something.

Also, a little bit of not-really-related trivia I want to get out there; the arm-blade was added in primarily because it made coming up with glory kills easier, specifically with the larger demons like the Mancubi.

On 12/8/2018 at 10:14 PM, TheMightyHeracross said:

Correct. As long as they balance the game with tougher opposition relative to the increased strength of Slayer there should be no issues. I personally felt like there wasn't enough Baron's in the first game so we'll see.

Edited by RichHomieBajiQuan

On 12/8/2018 at 11:23 AM, TakenStew22 said:

That's not a bad thing.

Debatable. See the SNES ad? That really sums up how the OG games saw themselves. Yes, the Doomguy was always a badass, but the situation was sometimes quite hopeless. It's a good balance. With the Doom Slayer 2.0, it looks like it's still going to be a hell of a challenge, but that balance of badass/helpless is much more skewed in the direction of the former, whereas I think the games worked best in the middle. I'm sure this can be mediated by choosing an equivalent "Ultra Violence" difficulty.

doom.jpg

53 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

Debatable. See the SNES ad? That really sums up how the OG games saw themselves. Yes, the Doomguy was always a badass, but the situation was sometimes quite hopeless. It's a good balance. With the Doom Slayer 2.0, it looks like it's still going to be a hell of a challenge, but that balance of badass/helpless is much more skewed in the direction of the former, whereas I think the games worked best in the middle. I'm sure this can be mediated by choosing an equivalent "Ultra Violence" difficulty.

doom.jpg

Yeah, well guess what? This isn't OG Doom. You're the fucking Doom Slayer now. You survived, thrice, and had enough of the demon's shit.

That red ant in the middle? It's a Super Saiyan now. ;)

db0ac059f7339f884f112970abdd58a717a594d1

Edited by TakenStew22

I question how much you can pump up the player's abilities before it loses its novelty, but the upgrade system from Doom '16 was pretty slick, so I imagine they can make the shoulder cannon/thingy feel useful.

20 minutes ago, GoatLord said:

I question how much you can pump up the player's abilities before it loses its novelty, but the upgrade system from Doom '16 was pretty slick, so I imagine they can make the shoulder cannon/thingy feel useful.

I suppose so.

5 hours ago, TakenStew22 said:

Yeah, well guess what? This isn't OG Doom. You're the fucking Doom Slayer now. You survived, thrice, and had enough of the demon's shit.

That red ant in the middle? It's a Super Saiyan now. ;)

And when he survives four times he's going to be a god. I don't agree. GoatLord couldn't have explained better what I think, that image is perfect.

48 minutes ago, Martin-CAI said:

And when he survives four times he's going to be a god.

Exactly, and that's fine by me. What's wrong with Doomguy becoming a god-like demon killer? Shit's badass.

5 minutes ago, TakenStew22 said:

Exactly, and that's fine by me. What's wrong with Doomguy becoming a god-like demon killer? Shit's badass.

That the victory of the Doomguy is going to feel more obvious, the taste of destroying everything is not going to feel like you're just an ant surrounded by hopelessness. 

2 minutes ago, Martin-CAI said:

That the victory of the Doomguy is going to feel more obvious, the taste of destroying everything is not going to feel like you're just an ant surrounded by hopelessness. 

I've never felt "hopeless" in any Doom game besides maybe Doom 3 and 64. In Doom 1 and 2 I was too busy having fun killing demons.

Do you remember those grenades the Marauder had on his belt?  What if one of those were some kind of instant ice grenade that slowed the player down?  It would definitely put the flamethrower to good use.