Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Julian

So where does your username come from?

16 hours ago, Equinox24 said:

Just the old classic IDDQD

Wrong thread.

How did you come up with your username?

To be real I was drunk and thought the idea of my username being me asking politely for something to not contain tentacles was hilarious. The name stuck and now I'm using it for almost everything. 

On 5/7/2018 at 6:52 PM, Lila Feuer said:

Began as Cyanosis in late 2010, changed to cyan0s1s sometime after 2014. The latter's significance was to make it easier to find me on the internet (and not confuse me for another Cyanosis), it also helped if the previous title had been taken. It holds two personal associations regarding the numbers; Ichi from Ichi the Killer, and the Eagle's race number from Carmageddon II. The overall inspiration for the name was an opposite reaction to my previous long-running handle, BurningCadavre, which signified heat and the color red, Cyanosis would embody cold and the color blue. Its real-life association also just makes it much more unpleasant and reflected a drastic shift in my personality and the events occurring in my life at the time.

So this is old news now, but I've changed it to reflect ushering in a new era for me. Because I don't feel like the same person I was 8 years ago when I created Cyanosis. That name carries a lot of weight I'd like to disengage from, and in a sense I've come full circle, as BurningCadavre was red (hot) and Cyanosis was blue (cold), I feel as if a fire was reignited in me as of this year now, and what happens when you mix blue with red? You get purple.

For DynamiteKaitorn I came up with her name since I was (hard to say if I still am) a fan of My Little Pony. I decided on making an OC and I thought, why not an alicorn OC who struggles using magic and can't fly? Then I realised how stupid that was so I made her an Earth pony. After that, Dynamite got shifted from Equestria to Poneto and well history follows.

As for Heich productions.... My favourite letter of the alphabet is H. No really, it is. >_>

30 minutes ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

...I was (hard to say if I still am) a fan of My Little Pony. I decided on making an OC...

Heh, at least you didn't make an OC that's edgier than a razor blade factory and call him Bloodbath McBullet.

See lots of those.

Anyway, nice story, bro. More original than any of mine.

I was interested in turkic languages (and panturkism) for 2 years ago. So, I came up with a name that composed of two words.

"Taw" in turkic language (mainly Kypchak) means "mountain", and "tu'lki" means "fox". So, that means "Mountain Fox".

In some sites i registered as a "dagtilki" but that word also turkic (Oguz languages, for example, Turkish) and means the same thing.

noun

1. an action that is performed as a response to a stimulus and without conscious thought.

2. a thing that is determined by and reproduces the essential features or qualities of something else.

adjective

1. (of an action) performed without conscious thought as an automatic response to a stimulus.

synonyms: instinctive, automatic, involuntary, reflexive, impulsive, intuitive, spontaneous, unconscious, unconditioned, untaught, unlearned

2. (of an angle) exceeding 180°.

YA6iwgm.gif

(I chose this name because a 1 is a straight line and a 7 is an angle, together they are the essential components of level editing/map design)

Pretty long and convoluted process.

There's a game on the Sega Genesis/Megadrive not many people knew of at the time (maybe moreso now), called "Pulseman." Was actually a really good action game, with some neat visual tricks for the time.

So when I began journeying online, I wound up using my email address - Pulsemanfan001.

Eventually, when I began being a regular on GameFAQs, this got shortened simply to "Pulse." From there, I got heavily into the Roleplaying/Fanfiction forum they had. So I had my character's main gimmick be that he switched forms, basically taking inspiration from Gunstar Heroes' Seven Force. (An idea so good, they revisited it not once, but twice.)

One of those forms was "Dark" Pulse, and that nick's stuck ever since.

Ironically, the company that made Pulseman later went on to make a little series you might've heard about called Pokemon. A year or two after I came up with the nick, there was a move in the English localization of the game also called "Dark Pulse" (though it's "Evil/Bad Pulse" in Japanese). So every so often I get someone who thinks my nickname is from Pokemon and I have to smack them.

Though... in a roundabout way, it's accurate.

It's a take on the actor's name, but where I got it is from the first GTA. At some point your character is working for the Triads and they send you on yet another mission to kill someone. This time, instead of a solo effort you're assigned this guy to help you. So I took it as my online handle.

Jump back to 1996 where I was very much into metal, especially black and death metal. I found a CD in my town‘s CD store (!) and the music sounded very strange but nice. (metal-archives.com categorizes it as „dark ambient neo-classical“. Yeah, you gotta love metal sub-genres...) 

And well, the band‘s name was of course „elend“ which is german for „misery“, although the band itself is from france. It described my state of mind just perfectly at that time and it was sweet and short as well. After all these years I still like it and most of my friends (on- or offline) still call me that. 

Do so, if you like. But it's not much "metal" actually... and it's... very weird. French.

I have always liked horror and macabre stuff. Some 8 or 9 years ago I was into horror movies in particular, and I came up with this username for skulltag around that time, and it just kind of grew and stuck with me.

Mine's the name of an old delta blues guitar player and a good friend of mine. He was a mentor of sorts and taught me everything I know. He recorded only one 78rpm record in 1927 on the Paramount Label, which also issued recordings by Charlie Patton, Ma Rainey, and Blind Lemon Jefferson in the late 1920s. The only remaining copy of the recording was in John Fahey's record collection, but it was stolen.

Edit: Here's a picture of the original label:

mbs3zcae.jpg

[REDACTED]

On 12/5/2018 at 5:53 PM, Chow Yun Thin said:

It's a take on the actor's name, but where I got it is from the first GTA. At some point your character is working for the Triads and they send you on yet another mission to kill someone. This time, instead of a solo effort you're assigned this guy to help you. So I took it as my online handle.

I actually chuckled. That is one cool username.

Edited by frihda

Heracross is my favorite Pokemon. For those not familiar with Pokemon it's basically a five foot tall Hercules beetle. I threw in the "mighty" part since "Heracross" by itself would be more likely to be taken, and because it sounds cool.

I made the name right when I turned 13, but I still like it. Has a nice ring to it, I think.

It's because of my cats name.

She is "Vabalė" in my native language, which roughly translates to bug.

Edited by The Bug

I chose the name when I joined Wolfenstein 3D communities back in 2010, and I chose to use it for all the other communities I frequent (Doom sites and Duke4 mostly). 

Gerolf is a Dutch version of the German name Gerulf. It loosely translates from old Germanic to mean Spear-Wolf. Spear of Destiny + Wolfenstein 3D. 

I didn’t intentionally choose the Dutch spelling, I just found the Dutch version with details of the meaning first before I found out it was the Dutch version of Gerulf. 

Its the name of a demonic lab-grown entity from a series of things I write back in my teenage years while trying to exist through school. Specifically the creature's second form, when it was chasing the main characters through a mazelike necropolis. The initial inspiration for the creature's looks in my head was Diablos from Final Fantasy 8, and infact its first form shared that name.

I never finished this particular story, as motivation was lacking after I was taken out of school (I think most of my creative stuff back then was only there as a form of escapism from the drudgery of school) but I had most of the key points written out. I always wanted to develop this world of mine into something bigger and maybe write actual books or even make games, but then I grew into an adult and realised im talentless and none of these dreams would come to fruition :p

A few years back a friend of mine who watches anime came up with a funny way to insult me (jokingly of course) and as far as I can remember there's this character in an anime who calls everybody ''zashu'' which roughly translates to bastard, Tenente is the italian equivalent of lieutenant and I got that part from my randomly generated xbox gamertag which was ''TemptedPaprika30'' but at first I read that as ''Tenente'' so I decided to stick with it.

My bear persona comes from being called a “Bipolar Bear” by an ex-GF  :-) I really like the name (much nicer and cuter than saying “fucked in the head” :-P) so it’s stuck with me ever since then :-)

The DooM part is due to an in joke with the same ex where she’d attach things to the front to suit a situation (I.e. Business Bear, Science Bear, etc.) :-)

P.s. No I’m not a furry but the more power to you all if you’re into that :-P

It was a name I got called in school quite a few times, I took a liking to it, and added a H on it, and the rest is history. The 2 was because I most likely made an account on here but forgot the password.

Being player of Terraria and Minecraft in around 2010-2011 I had thought what sandboxish-style nickname should I have (I had name "blackhunter" for TrackMania and Quake 3 already): the players of these games are named "Minecrafter" and "Terrarian" respectively but these two words are way too long to type on keyboard and choosing only one of them would mean that I'm mostly Minecraft or mostly Terraria player. So I chose this "Miner" part for the name. But there might be many others who have the same name and I didn't want to have something like numbers for postfix. So I thought Miner of what might I be. Gold? No, Gold prefix sounded dull and overused for me and gold is actually weak metal (I relied on my Minecraft experience). The next station was "Silver" - not that common prefix and in those days I thought that if there was a silver pickaxe, it should be stronger than golden one. So I had chosen this one.

When I studied professional writing back in 2013-2015, one of the consequences is becoming a huge nerd for how words look and sound. When I made my Steam account in 2014, I started playing Gmod online in random servers and figured just using my real name wasn't a good idea on the internet. "Biodegradable" is the result of these two factors and I've been using it ever since.

was going through a period of rapidly changing my name because i was unsure about what i wanted it to be, then i changed it to the name of the song i was listening to, depravity by MachinimaSound, i added the 4 later to pay homage to a professional TF2 player, that being b4nny