Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aquila Chrysaetos

IronEagle Competition 3: Crumpets

Yes, it's IronEagle 3. No, we're not doing a Christmas wad. I have something special in mind this month.

The rules for this competition are much the same as the DWIronman League. Blind runs are encouraged, but the category system is simplified so as to avoid ambiguity.

Rules:

Submissions must include a demo from one of the listed available ports.

The first actual attempt must be submitted, there are no do-overs (with very few possible exceptions which I will address as they arise).

A run must be done in a singular sitting. (With room for breaks. This will be addressed below.)

If we do a WIP wad, make sure you are using the latest available version to minimize demo desync issues.

Stream and video runs are accepted if and only if a demo of the same run is provided. This means you are streaming/recording the gameplay as you are recording the demo. A stream/video submission with no demo will be automatically rejected.

Secret levels are, as in DWIL, treated as extra credit.

Freelook is allowed, but jumping and crouching must be disabled for wads that do not support them.

Accepted Ports:

PRBoom+

ZDoom 2.8.1

ZDoom32 2.8.5

GZDoom 2.4.0

GZDoom 3.5.1

Category System:

Blind run. This explains itself. You have no knowledge of the wad and have not played/seen it before.

Non-blind. If you have played the wad before and/or possess any foreknowledge, your run is non-blind.

Difficulty System:

You may submit a demo for HNTR, HMP, or UV.

If you submit a UV run, you may not submit one for HNTR or HMP. Likewise for the other difficulties. Multiple difficulty runs will be rejected and the runner's submission void for that month.

ITYTD and NM runs will not be accepted.

Submitting a HNTR run does not pit you against UV players. Each difficulty will be graded separately. This will, hopefully, keep the runs graded as fairly as possible.

I will be maintaining a spreadsheet where I will keep my information as up-to-date as possible, and I will record the top ten runs of each difficulty here, where applicable.

IronEagle Spreadsheet

This month, our IronEagle runners will be facing Crumpets.

The objective for survival is MAP09. There are no secret maps.

MAP10 is a simple end map. Playing it does not affect your standing.

MAP01 is a "set the stage" map. If you die there, somehow, just reset your run and die on the next maps.

Breaks:

You are free to take a quick break when needed. Intermission screens are the best time to do this.

Multiple demos cannot be accepted, however, last month was a singular exception.

The bit last month about death exits still stands.

If you reset the map before going to the tally screen on a death exit, you must either end your run or play the map again.

If you die going back around, your survival will count, but your run will end there.

Even if you die, you are encouraged to finish the wad.

Attempting to max the maps is encouraged, but not necessary to win.

When you submit your run, please do not go into detail on the wad or map you survived or died on, only declare the category and difficulty, and say what map you died on, if applicable.

Obviously, runs must be done vanilla to prevent demo desyncing, as such all mods must be merely cosmetic.

If you die, please wait a few seconds before quitting out for me to catch the information I need to determine your placing.

If you don't know how to record demos, I recommend getting the ZDL launcher.

Once you have it set up to find your IWAD's and ports, you can use the field at the bottom entitled "command line parameters" to record your demo with ease.

Template for PRBoom+:

-file crumpets.wad -complevel 9 -skill <4> -record <IEcrumpets> -warp 01

Where the skill is 2 for HNTR, 3 for HMP, and 4 for UV.

Template for ZDoom:

-file crumpets.wad +compatmode 6 -skill <4> -record <IEcrumpets> +map map01

Using the ZDL launcher will allow you to select your skill directly and skip the wad selection and warp by immediately starting you in MAP01 on launch.

This wad uses complevel 9 or Boom (strict).

Obviously, the angular brackets indicate fields where you choose what goes there. Don't actually leave them in your line. This happened last month, too.

While recording demos, PRBoom allows you to pause the game by accessing the menu without desyncing the demo, but ZDoom will not pause the game, period.

When recording in ZDoom, double check your compatibility settings. When the compatibility is set from the cmdline, it doesn't always stick, so open the port in an IWAD map and make sure to set it to Boom (strict) to be sure the compatibility settings are correct. ZDoom will remember the settings next time you start it.

Happy Dooming!

DEAD: Map05 (prboom+ ; UV ; not blind)

killed by mint chocolate cyberdemon.

Edited by NoisyVelvet : moved actual spoiler to spoiler tag; also didn't read the rules on spoilers.

Dead on Map 02.

HNTR.

22/50 kills.

Played on PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4.

I played it once, but died quickly, so I gave it another go. I guess you would call it Category 2.

pegleg_ie_crumpets.zip

XD

that happens when you don't know shit of a map that doesn't do shit.....supposedly

Category 2

Wasn't even going to post this since I died on map 02 but might as well ;p I got stuck behind the rock at the YSK trap kind of, plasma hit the rock followed by 3 rev rockets to my face ( i had 100 hp 40? armor) 

Also Streamed it but to lazy to look for the vod :) 

IE03-Dubz.zip 

Played this, but accidentally overwrote my demo and I won't have chance to record a fresh one!  There was a nifty speed run opportunity on map01 if you go round the outside of the barons/RL area and can step up straight to the exit platform; that left me with a fair bit of health and ammo for the start in map02 (which I still managed to cock up in the first room).

Would have been a category 2 demo, with about 15 kills into map02.  Will try harder next year!