Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RambOrc

Scattered Evil for Hexen

The next version is nearing release, in the meantime let me show off some of the new features coming with 1.3:

this looks awesome! looks like quite the adventure you've crafted, and took a ton of work I'm sure

Holy cow! Those pictures and videos are spectacular!

I'm surprised this project hasn't generated more interest in these forums.

What game is it for (HeXen, I presume)?

Also, in your second video, in one of the circular stairways (between 0:50 and 1:00) you can see that the textures require y-offsets for proper alignment. [Meant as an observation, not a criticism.]

12 hours ago, ReX said:

What game is it for (HeXen, I presume)?

Ahem, yes, it's for HeXen - as it states in the title of this thread.

Whack me like a dangling piñata for not paying enough attention.

heya, this is interesting!

is the koraxrpg engine something proprietary you've made or can anyone mod for it?

On 3/19/2018 at 2:21 AM, ReX said:

Also, in your second video, in one of the circular stairways (between 0:50 and 1:00) you can see that the textures require y-offsets for proper alignment. [Meant as an observation, not a criticism.]

Already fixed. :) (most of the footage is from work in progress)

On 3/19/2018 at 3:29 PM, yakfak said:

is the koraxrpg engine something proprietary you've made or can anyone mod for it?

Like everything based on Vavoom, it's fully open source. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Really amazing, I like maps that put the player into a journey with big scale rooms and yards.

Freaking cool project, keep up the good work !

Scattered Evil 1.3 has been released, get it at SourceForge or ModDB.

se13shot27s.jpg.51f062a51f0e0b0454e2a8636cfac1b3.jpg

The highlight of this release are the 7 all-new dungeon maps plus a greatly extended one, replacing old third party maps. They introduce new 3D features to SE, including levers and wheels, as well as swimmable water and advanced lighting and shadows.

• Aldir's Cave
  • Hedyntin Cave
  • Hedyntin Citadel
  • Nisisil Catacombs
  • Nisisil Cloister
  • Nisisil Sanctum
  • Pyramid of Krylu (now with a Sphinx)
  • Ruins of Nisisil

Other changes:

• Ladders are now scaled in a more realistic manner
  • There is no need to hit the use key to open doors, just walk towards them
  • Further new music tracks have been added
  • Fixed a number of reported bugs

Scattered Evil 1.4 has been released, get it at SourceForge or ModDB.

se14shot10.jpg

se14shot03.jpg
se14shot11.jpg

New sounds:

• The lonely male voice actor with the half dozen soundbites got some major help with 20 additional voice actors and hundreds of new soundbites. Now not every guy in Charybdia sounds the same.
  • New music tracks, including the remix of a Raven original and more variety for the travel map.

New maps:
This release removes all old third party dungeon maps. New features include walking on tightropes, moving objects in a 3 dimensions to solve puzzles and exotic environments including floating rocks and really big statues.
All-new dungeons:

• Donas Monument
  • Iarmusc Dungeons
  • Lernal Cave
  • The Excavation
  • Thryas Reservoir
  • Yerdel Cave

Visual improvements:

• A few important NPCs now have custom sprites. This also allowed us to further "zoom in" on their faces during a conversation.
  • The quality of a number of commonly used textures has been improved.
  • New glass effect allowing for more realistic mirrors and vitrines.

Gameplay improvements:

• The travel map now only uses the four primary directions so there is no more need to try and press two arrow keys at the same time.
  • The full screen HUD now shows the most relevant information neatly grouped into a corner of the screen.

Other changes:

• Extensive attribution list included. Let us know if there is anything missing or in need of correction.
  • Fixed a number of reported bugs.
  • Added default bindings for pausing the game (F5) and zooming in/out (Z).

Scattered Evil 1.5 is now available on SourceForge and ModDB.

• RPG Complexity and D&D Alignments
    • New settings for RPG Complexity, Ethical Alignment and Moral Alignment. Be evil or good, lawful or chaotic, and people will react differently to you.
    • Three different levels of RPG complexity that influence everything from the amount of information in the journal, the available sources of experience, item prices in shops and possible shortcuts in dungeons up to the possibility of being barred from talking to certain NPCs and missing out on some quests (check the spoiler below for more details)
    • Spoiler

rgp complexity off:

- journal:
          - bestiary and codex completely filled out, there are no NPCs to talk to about it
          - weapons, spells and cantrips have extensive hints to guide the player
          - quests have extensive hints to guide the player
          - all maps are in the journal from the beginning; most annotations appear once the player visits the corresponding locations or talks to certain people

- dungeons:
          - some dungeons offer shortcuts; navigation difficulty extra low

rgp complexity standard:

- journal:
          - codex and bestiary have hints on every page where to acquire the information
          - weapons, spells and cantrips have general hints to guide the player
          - quests have general hints to guide the player
          - maps need to be purchased; each page has a hint where to buy the missing map

- dungeons:
          - some dungeons offer minor shortcuts

- shops:
          - prices vary depending on difficulty

rgp complexity old school:

- journal:
          - codex and bestiary don't appear at all until at least one page has been acquired; even then, only acquired pages show up on the overview page
              - playing on chaotic evil means some pages cannot be collected
          - weapons, spells and cantrips have no hints on where to find them; the pages don't show up until at least one item on hit has been found
              - playing on chaotic evil means some weapons or spells cannot be acquired
          - quests have no hints, not even the page for a faction shows up until you pick up at least one quest from them
          - maps need to be purchased; there are no hints where to get them

- quests:
          - for chaotic evil characters:
              - no quests from the other two orders are available
              - no NPCs from the other two orders offer services or other goodies
          - for lawful good characters:
              - the merchant guild offers either a reduced version of a quest or no quest at all

- dungeons:
          - navigation in some dungeons might be exceedingly difficult (extra keys, puzzles)

-shops:
          - prices vary depending on difficulty
          - stocks (and storage space) are limited; the higher the difficulty, the more

ethics on any complexity:

- chaotic: you don't knock on people's doors, just try the handle right away

morals on any complexity:

- evil: people hate you and many have no compunction to voice their displeasure

• Visual improvements
    • Over a hundred new plant models: trees, bushes, ferns, maize, grapevines etc.
    • All green areas completely revamped with new extra large floor textures and new plant models; starting map rebuilt from scratch
    • Over a hundred new models including everything from beer steins and shiny new gold bars through beds and water wells to wagon wheels and sailboats
  • Interface improvements
    • Revamped the character creation system, now it's a lot like rolling a classic D&D character.
    • Battle Rage/Faith/Magic now displayed on the status bar in the same way as mana
    • Status bar cleanup: health and armor counters now always vertically aligned, no matter how large a number
    • There is now no status bar when the automap is displayed
    • New full HD title, credit and help screens; there is now detailed help in-game spawning 5 screens
    • Separate main menu option for credits; the title screen is now static, and the title music only plays once, then waits 30 seconds before playing again

se15shot01.jpg

se15shot23.jpg

se15shot22.jpg

se15shot19.jpg

se15shot14.jpg

se15shot05.jpg

Scattered Evil 1.5.1 patch is a minor bugfix release that is 100% compatible with existing 1.5 savegames. Get it from SourceForge or ModDB.

All Classes

• Charisma now doesn't reduce the mana cost below 1 mana/shot or cast
  • Weapons and offensive spells now don't say "no mana" if the player has enough mana to shoot/cast (but less mana than the weapon's base mana cost)

Mage

• Sapphire Wand
    • Damage now scales with Dexterity instead of Intelligence
    • Uses mana once again
  • Ruby Wand
    • Uses mana once again
  • Bloodscourge
  • Fireball
    • Damage greatly increased
    • Uses mana once again
  • Armageddon
    • Projectiles are once again green
    • Uses mana once again

Cleric

• Morning Star
    • Can't be used any more if the player doesn't have enough mana
  • Serpent Staff
    • Melee life drain function now restores health up to the player's maximum health
  • Evening Star
    • Can't be used any more if the player doesn't have enough mana

Fighter

• Quietus
    • Weapon can't be used any more if the player doesn't have enough mana
  • Berserk
    • Now needs a minimum of 5 rage to cast
    • Now uses a maximum of 50 rage when cast
    • Duration is 5 secs + 0.2 secs per rage point spent, making duration min. 6 secs and max. 15 secs

Scattered Evil 1.6 is now available on SourceForge and ModDB.

• New weapons and spells
    • The fighter now has the same amount of offensive options as the other classes, thanks to a new melee weapon (Axe of the Depths) and three new spells (Chilling Touch, Molten Metal, Judgment)
    • The mage's Thunderstaff now generates blue mana on a successful melee attack
    • The cleric's melee weapons now heal him whenever he damages an enemy
    • Diminishing returns now ensure that your character's powers don't grow into the ridiculous
  • NPC visual improvements
    • All important NPCs of Charybdea now have their own unique high resolution sprite
    • The resolution of NPC conversation portraits has been quadrupled
    • Improved the quality of some of the generic NPC sprites
  • New difficulty setting
    • New difficulty setting added: Nightmare. Compared to Hard, monsters not only move, fire and cast faster, they also do more than triple their normal damage
    • On Easy and Normal difficulty, Quartz Flasks and Mystic Urns are now automatically used if the player gets too low on health
  • New RPG features
    • Hunger: with time passing, your character's belly starts to rumble. Find some food before he becomes so hungry that it has negative effects on his learning capabilities
    • Fatigue: physical exertions now tire out your hero. Find a room in an inn to sleep it off before he becomes so tired his movements become too sluggish to survive long in the wild
    • Further extending the difference between RPG complexity settings, e.g.
      • Hunger and Fatigue don't accumulate when complexity is set to Off
      • On Old school RPG complexity, the player receives ability points instead of direct increases to a specific attribute
      • Experience gains are difficulty dependent on Old School complexity
      • In some cases, the types of monsters you encounter in a dungeon depend on the RPG complexity setting
  • New items
    • Six different potions to permanently increase ability scores (CHA, CON, DEX, INT, STR, WIS)
    • Scroll of Recall to teleport back to a mage tower from anywhere in the world
    • Boots of Stealth make the player more difficult to spot
  • Monster changes
    • New monster: Specter. While at first look it seems to be merely a larger and tougher Reiver, it can cast Terror, causing the hero to cower in fear, covering his eyes and throwing down his weapon
    • The Heresiarch and Exarch now occasionally cast Mana Burn on the player (during Mana Burn, using weapons or spells hurts the player)
    • There is now a special tuned-down version of the Heresiarch for Easy difficulty that doesn't cast Mana Burn and has significantly less health
    • The Ghost's Confusion spell is now less annoying (it doesn't play with your inventory or spellstrip)
    • More monsters now drop a wider variety of items
  • Miscellaneous
    • Wisdom and Charisma have been reshuffled: it is now Wisdom that decreases the amount of mana needed to fire a weapon or cast a spell; Charisma now increases both the size of the Battle Rage/Faith/Magic pool and its regeneration speed
    • Offensive spells are now simply called "spells"
    • Auxiliary spells are now called differently depending on class: martial skills (fighter), prayers (cleric), cantrips (mage)
    • Status bar improvements: it now shows more information in a cleaner way
    • Berserking visual changed to a red haze
  • Bugfixes
    • Includes all fixes for weapons and spells from the 1.5.1 patch, as well as extending them further: now all weapons should scale with Strength/Dexterity and all spells with Intelligence
    • The mage's Speed cantrip now actually does speed up the player
    • Fixed the bug that hitting ESC on the travel map during a y/n question made the game stuck
    • When exiting a location to the travel map and then returning immediately, now the right music is playing
    • Also fixed a large number of smaller bugs, mostly those reported in the Bug Tracker

se16shot03.jpg.77d04bdb60b8a866f4afdc31deaca183.jpgse16shot01.jpg.95b8e9612a08daa2ab52b11202058ea3.jpgse16shot02.jpg.cab569f94a99a2089aeee7722e6373a1.jpgse16shot06.jpg.102d816dfed1c1730f8282262afb8967.jpgse16shot04.jpg.02217d200861d624de5a52d0b20118be.jpgse16shot05.jpg.996fc04e806c98bc7e7ab0f4eaf56872.jpgse16shot07.jpg.a1ab8dc25c3922376a9dc6b60161ad17.jpgse16shot08.jpg.b1c1d670f2f33e62793e01c3ed570f85.jpg

Seems like no matter what I change the resolution to, it won't start and keeps giving the same error about default resolution.

Edit: Nevermind, went through an old manual and saw the command for +set resolution, I guess it won't start unless you put that command, not really used to VaVoom. This looks great, glad to see something like this for Hexen. Look like you put a lot of work into this, great job so far!

Two questions:

1) What resolution did you set to so that it started up?

2) Why an old manual? It is included in the current version as well.

6 hours ago, RambOrc said:

Two questions:

1) What resolution did you set to so that it started up?

2) Why an old manual? It is included in the current version as well.

1. First 1024 x 720, then I set at 1366 x 768.

2. My apologies, not an OLD manual, but one that came with VaVoom. I downloaded just VaVoom to see if it was just how the source port was, and the issue persisted. I looked thru the manual it came with and way at the bottom it mentioned something about +set resolution, so I tried that and it worked:) It says it defaults to 1920 x 1080 in the manual Scattered Evil comes with, however adjusting it thru the config file wasn't working for some reason.

I had so many issues reported with people having a too high resolution screen that until now I haven't considered someone having a too low resolution screen which is the bigger issue, since the game won't start up. I'll update the documentation accordingly and probably set a lower default resolution. Maybe write a small setup tool that sets this before the game's start.

Scattered Evil 1.6.1 Patch

This is a minor bugfix release that is 100% compatible with existing 1.6 savegames. Get it from SourceForge or ModDB.

Bugs fixed:

• Krater of Might not giving red mana
  • Travel by boat missing sky texture
  • Size of Librarian Stryker in Thystes
  • Arsenal and Spellbook displaying the same information more than once
  • Conversation with Sir Billiam in Nolcormu crashing the game
  • Mana cubes dropped by monsters giving 1 mana instead of 15

New features:

• Setup utility for Windows to set game resolution and specify IWAD location

Oh man I'm sorry... I got busy and stopped playing for a week, and thus forgot about txt where I have stored some bugs I've found. I think I should post it now but it's incomplete - I'm at the half way thru the game.

• Thryas Reservoir - There are many invisible "boxes" in water, they are just like not-yet-spawned lurkers. When they all spawn, and I deal with them, the "boxes" disappear letting me to roam free there.
  • Journal - FIXED
  • Libraryan Stryker - FIXED
  • Found the place looking exactly like a E1M1 from Heretic :) [Forgot where it was... some port of some city, nice homage tho.]
  • Five-Legged Centaur Inn: There is an Exotic Dancer, which I can speak to, and if I do so, the dialog have only one option, "give 1 crown", and there's no chance to leave the dialog. There are two kinds of exotic dancers: Maulotaurs and Ettins, the one with that problem is the Ettin one.
  • The flamethrower spell uses mana strangely: if I keep pressing fire, it will "shoot" for some seconds w/o wasting my ammo and then takes out 100 at once, but if I press & immediately release fire, it will take out 100 as well.
  • Tower of Ianabec: There's an option to say to the wizard "I met a grumpy old fellow downstairs", but there were no one old & grumpy enough down the tower, did I miss something?

• Thryas Reservoir: will be fixed for next major release
  • Exotic Dancer: will look into it, if there are more such small bugs to fix, I might put out a 1.6.2
  • Tower of Ianabec: look for an old mage with white hair outside the tower (he may have wandered off)
  • Flamethrower: this way is actually better once you have a high Wisdom score: if it would take e.g. 5 mana every second at a certain Wisdom score, it could only be lowered to 1 mana every second no matter how much you put into Wisdom; but if it takes 50 mana every 10 seconds, then you can increase your Wisdom to over 100 and still get mileage out of it.

Scattered Evil Patch 1.6.2

This is a minor bugfix/tuning release that is 100% compatible with existing 1.6 savegames. Get it from SourceForge or ModDB.

This patch includes all changes from the 1.6.1 patch as well (entries marked with asterisk). This patch can be installed on any Scattered Evil 1.6 full installation, regardless of whether it has been patched to 1.6.1 previously or not.

New features:

• Brand new Torch using a colored dynamic light
  • New menu option to set hotkeys for all common artifacts
  • Setup utility for Windows to set game resolution and specify IWAD location*

Bugs fixed:

• Exotic Dancer in the F.L.C. getting stuck in a conversation loop when Moral Alignment is set to Good
  • Purchasing a crate of Icons of the Defender in Neusus adding incorrect amount to inventory
  • Krater of Might not giving red mana*
  • Travel by boat missing sky texture*
  • Size of Librarian Stryker in Thystes*
  • Arsenal and Spellbook displaying the same information more than once*
  • Conversation with Sir Billiam in Nolcormu crashing the game*
  • Mana cubes dropped by monsters giving 1 mana instead of 15*

Tuning:

• Magic/Faith/Battle Rage regeneration now based on the pool size and using a new formula that should allow for a smoother ramp up when adding Charisma points
  • Swing timing for Axe of the Depths tweaked
  • Axe of the Depths base damage doubled
  • Monsters damaged by Axe of the Depths can now be thrown back a significant distance
  • Chilling Touch base damage tripled
  • Torch duration increased to 30 seconds
  • Player inventory now holds up to 50 Torches at a time
  • Reorganizing the Main and Options menus

hotkeys.jpg.5ef0a554ad01c6bc6f4904384431b5c6.jpg

Edited by RambOrc