Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dragonfly

[WIP] Eviternity - A Boom Format Megawad

Excellent work keeping on schedule Dragonfly, it's super impressive. Guest mappers are definitely both a blessing and a curse, as they lighten so much of the work load, but when they drop out and leave you with nothing, it can be very disheartening. Screenshots look lovely too!

Really amazing this will be done in around ~5 months.  I assumed something so ambitious would be done in mid-2019, if that.  Incredible work Dragonfly and everyone else who helped out!

16 hours ago, grahf said:

Really amazing this will be done in around ~5 months.  I assumed something so ambitious would be done in mid-2019, if that.  Incredible work Dragonfly and everyone else who helped out!

Eviternity officially started in March, so we're looking at 9 months, all in all. ;)

Thank you for the compliments!

Still an incredibly short amount of time, especially considering how well detailed are the maps :P

2 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

Eviternity officially started in March, so we're looking at 9 months, all in all. ;)

Just like a baby! Congrats to all his proud parents! :p

On 11/15/2018 at 2:47 AM, Paar said:

There are some screens which show slopes even though all maps should be Boom format. Are those achieved by breaking a sector to many minisectors?

Bunches of 1px. sectors are a bit expensive, performance-wise, but they look great! Because it's a lot of sectors and lines in a small space, it becomes more expensive than a single sector of that general size. But, used sparingly, it shouldn't be that bad. It seems to be worth it, to me, looking at that beautiful screenshot!

Yeah, that was my guess too before it was confirmed by Dragonfly. It looks pretty neat. I'm sure it won't be problem when using PrBoom+ or GZDoom for that matter. Could be problem in DOSBox using MBF source port but it shouldn't be played that way anyway. I must say that this mapset has other neat tricks that impressed me considering it's in Boom format (cleaver usage of Transfer_Height and so on).

I haven't been hyped for anything in long enough I forgot what waiting feels like. Aaaahhh!

Exactly that, practice and consistency - I've been making maps since 2005, but I've mapped solidly for the last 4 years and can assure you I've grown as a mapper much more in those 4 years. :)

I've still got a long way to go though!

I wish I were at your point already. Thanks for teasing us so much, can't wait to check out Eviternity.

1 hour ago, Dragonfly said:

Exactly that, practice and consistency - I've been making maps since 2005, but I've mapped solidly for the last 4 years and can assure you I've grown as a mapper much more in those 4 years. :)

I have an issue where if I spend too much time making content for a game, I won't enjoy playing it anymore.  It happened when I spent 6 months making a texture overhaul for Skyrim, I never could look at the game the same again, it was like "Well, I've seen you naked now...what more is there?" Lol.

I enjoy making Doom maps, but I don't want the same thing to happen, so I go slow with it and make sure I still play Doom more than I create for it.  Luckily there's a ton of people who don't have this problem so I have plenty of Doom content to play, thanks for that :)

It's a point you push past. For me half the reason Skulldash, a past mod of mine, took so long to produce is I went through that phase a few times where I thought I'd reached the peak of enjoyment in doom and it was all downhill from there. I can assure you it's a thing that happens in waves; if you learn to push through it the high-points get higher. :D

But that said, please do be mindful of your enjoyment; if Dooming becomes something akin to a job rather than a hobby, you should dial it back. That's certainly something I need to do once this is out the door, heh.

--------

In terms of Eviternity development right now, we're on one final test session and texture tweaking phase; and I'm doing the extra bits to release this properly; text files, full credit list, prepping the webpage the download will be on, etc.

16 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

Can you do your own take on Terrywads or nuts.wad?  That would be funny. 

2 hours ago, Master O said:

🤢🤮

3 hours ago, Master O said:

Wouldn't that be the exact opposite of what he tries to achieve? I mean something that is of quality?

1 hour ago, Dragonfly said:

Unless something catastrophic happens with the UK's travel system.........

So we can expect a release at about 7pm UK time then right :D

12 hours ago, Paar said:

Wouldn't that be the exact opposite of what he tries to achieve? I mean something that is of quality?

That's the point.  It would be the complete opposite of what people expect, which would make it funny. 

Anyway, Eviternity looks to be epic so far.

So, I can get this at 3am tonight :)  Are there any new monsters or weapons so I know what to comment out in Smooth Doom?