Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
crazyflyingdonut

How should I contribute to the Doom community?

Hello, my fellow Doomers.

I've been a Doom fan since 2016 and for the past year (since the beginning of 2018), I've struggled to think of something good to create for Doomers to enjoy. You might be wondering, why do I feel this way? Because for some reason, an inner part of me feels that since I am a fan of Doom, I need to contribute in some way, shape, or form, to the Doom fanbase.

And I don't think I'll be able to deal with comments like "Nice try for a first map" and stuff like that. Because if I make one of those "first map" maps, I have a feeling that if I make better maps later, I'll look back on my first map feeling embarrassed. Because of that, I've tried to make big things and I end up deleting them later due to seeing how shitty it became.

I will admit, I have learned some things. I know how to do slopes, and sometimes 3D floors. I also think I successfully made a moving polyobject door once, but I think that was only once and I don't think I've gotten the hang of it yet. I've been learning ACS too, but I think I'm still a beginner at it because a lot of times I have to go look up how to do something on the Internet.

I just feel like I need to add to the never-ending supply of Doom mods. What should I do?

Thank you, for taking the time to read this.

4 minutes ago, Linguica said:

Take whatever in your personal life you are good at, or which interests you, and find a way to apply it to Doom. For instance, I was never very good at mapping, but I liked web site stuff, so I made Doomworld instead.

Unfortunately, Terry took Linguica's advice just a little too closely to heart. :P

That said, there's plenty of ways. Even if it's just small stuff like reviewing other people's stuff, promoting projects you think are worthy of people's attention... hell, make a map. Make a BAD map if that's what it takes. You can always improve at mapping, after all.

36 minutes ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

I've tried to make big things and I end up deleting them later due to seeing how shitty it became.

Follow the K.I.S.S. formula:
Keep it simple, stupid!

Dude, nobody cares about the scripts in your maps, or the size of it, if it plays like rubbish. Executing simple things properly for a start is much better than fucking up whatever large, hyper detailed, and innovative "showroom" you may have planned. If you wanna get into mapping, the "joy of mapping" discord is there for that.

By the way, you don't need to listen to what everybody says about your maps in the first place. "feedback" á la okay for a first map and nothing else besides that is something I've seen quite a bit over time, and as far as I'm concerned that's neither good nor bad feedback, it's just vapid, and I suggest you regard it as such.

All that aside, I think Ling has the right idea. Ways to contribute aren't limited to just making maps or gameplay mods.

Welcome to Doomworld, @crazyflyingdonut. We're glad to have you here!

As far as mapping, there is no need to be embarrassed about previous maps. My first maps were bad, yes. But, I and the rest of the community can now look back on them and see how much I've grown as a mapper. It is tempting to start with something grand, but sometimes just starting is better, if that makes sense.

Besides mapping or modding, you can create custom textures and sprites or get into midi creation. People will always need new textures, some custom sprites and music to enrich their maps with something new and unseen.

The technical details aren't really important. Those just hollowly impress. Like @Linguica said, take what you like to do, and apply it to Doom.

Don't worry at all about looking back at your old stuff and being like, "Ugh, what was I thinking," because that just means you've improved since then, and recognize that you have. I wish I had a nickel for every time I caught myself doing that, and I've been doing this for well over 22 years!

And if you do release crap, who cares? Everything starts off crappy, from maps to mods. Be comfortable with the fact that you're gonna make crap. But it is through the magic of the Internet and the sheer number of people that will see your works in progress and comment on them that your work will be critiqued into being good eventually. Not everybody's opinions are valid, but as long as you know what you want to do with whatever you make, you'll quickly figure what feedback is valuable, and what is not. But you still have to make things. You can always post a thread requesting feedback on something unfinished.

Like Jake the Dog from Adventure Time says, "Sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something."

If you wish to become good at mapping, I don't recommend starting with making a map for zdoom. With all its enhanched features it might become a dissapointment or becoming a frustrating experience. I made my first maps for plain old vanilla Doom, learned the basics of mapping that way. And even today I still map for just plain Doom2 format. Not saying you should do the same, but thats what I would have done if I were in your shoes. In the end it all matters if the thing your doing is making you happy. And don't be affraid of posting your first efforts, its a good way to get constructive feedback. 

But that said, there are so many things you can do to contribute to a community, playtesting, music, reviews, textures, demos, etc.

Like Dark Pulse said, make a bad map, you can always return to it and fix what you don't like about it. There's no rule saying you can't go back to it. I made bad maps, it's how we figure out how to make the good ones. ;)

Something to keep in mind is to keep things small. You don't have to make a megawad. It's far easier to make single maps and smaller map sets. Save the megawad thing for a later time. I think I made the mistake of making a 32 level megawad from the start. Keep it smaller and work on what you find is enjoyable.

You have two options:

a: Try something new and innovative to make your contributions to the community stand above the rest, or
b: do what I did and make the exact same shit everyone else has been making since 1993.

everyone's skills start somewhere mate. if you truly want to make maps, I say go for it! if you are able to enjoy the process, you will continue to do it and improve over time naturally. I kind of forget the effect that negative comments have until I'm the one actually releasing something, and I'm not sure how to get around this. but! there are a lot of supportive folks here that would applaud your efforts every step of the way, myself included :D

3 hours ago, Linguica said:

Take whatever in your personal life you are good at, or which interests you, and find a way to apply it to Doom. For instance, I was never very good at mapping, but I liked web site stuff, so I made Doomworld instead.

I never knew you even made any maps. Do you have any floating around on the archives or the internet? I am legit curious about what your maps might look like.

4 hours ago, hardcore_gamer said:

I never knew you even made any maps. Do you have any floating around on the archives or the internet? I am legit curious about what your maps might look like.

Use a search engine or look at the Doom Wiki then.

Guest MIND

Don't make maps for other people. Make them for your own enjoyment.

That's what I do with the new Doom. Do my videos get many views? No. Am I a "somebody"? No. Do I have fun making my own stuff on the timeline that I CHOOSE? Yes. Very much so.

If you get recognized then that's just a bonus.

Edited by MIND

In whatever way you can.

I for one don't know jack about modding (and currently lack the time to learn the craft), so instead I just provide feedback whenever I can for new releases, writing reviews, stream wads, etc.

Guest MIND

I don't know about anybody else but I'll still be making SnapMap's long after the dedicated servers are taken offline for DOOM 4. You can still use it and make videos of your work.

On 12/8/2018 at 11:17 AM, crazyflyingdonut said:

...And I don't think I'll be able to deal with comments like "Nice try for a first map" and stuff like that. Because if I make one of those "first map" maps, I have a feeling that if I make better maps later, I'll look back on my first map feeling embarrassed. Because of that, I've tried to make big things and I end up deleting them later due to seeing how shitty it became.

In the grand scheme of things, the truth is that no one *really* cares if your map is not the best map ever, or even close. Being embarrassed is largely in your own head. Actually, there are so many Doom fans that, if you gave it half an effort, someone will most likely appreciate your style.

I understand the desire to contribute. There are tons of things you can do. Make maps, review maps, draw and build resources like textures/flats/monsters. You could make songs. Even helping newcomers with installing and running Doom, or providing info on mapping techniques is contributing. Leaving constructive criticism on others' maps is contributing.

I've made a bunch of Doom maps and mods over the years. Most of them kinda sucked, some of them were meh, and at least one had a tiny cult following that eventually faded away when the mod sort of ended development. Despite all of that, I still enjoyed my time diving in to modding for Doom, even if it made a tiny splash compared to everyone else's creations.

The point is, just make something you like. It could be a single map, an 8 level episode, a simple gameplay mod or a full Total Conversion. Even if only person ends up playing whatever kind of creation you made for Doom, I'd say it's worth it.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP! I have made a very short map that I think is okay, but not that great. I hope it gets accepted into the /idgames archives!

I'm also kind of worried because I'm waiting for that verification email to come to my inbox. I put my file in the incoming folder last night and I haven't gotten an email like they said I would.

38 minutes ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP! I have made a very short map that I think is okay, but not that great. I hope it gets accepted into the /idgames archives!

If my drunken Moonbase made it in, I'm sure you'll have no problems.

What kind of question is that? Make some maps! I suggest applying to the upcoming Joy of Mapping session. That way you could get more attention and therefore more useful criticism.

Edited by DooM_RO

19 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

What kind of question is that? Make some maps! I suggest applying to the upcoming Joy of Mapping session. That way you could get more attention and therefore more useful criticism.

Thank you, but this was from a week ago and the existing suggestions already led me to making a map. I put it in the /idgames incoming folder yesterday and now I'm worried because a readme file in the FTP server told me that I would get an email for verification, but I haven't gotten one yet.

Edited by crazyflyingdonut

3 hours ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

UPDATE!

A couple minutes ago, I checked the /idgames FTP again and my map is now missing from it! Then I found it in /newstuff... Still no verification email...

I wouldn't be worried. I myself am waiting for an email, but these things take time.

39 minutes ago, Lizardcommando said:

You could always just upload it to a file sharing site and post the link in a new thread.

Nah, I'd rather it be on Doomworld. File sharing sites don't usually last very long, and when they do, they start deleting files. I'm not gonna upload my files onto MediaFire knowing that 10 years later they'll be gone.

When is it gonna get out of /newstuff and be available for everyone to download?

4 hours ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

UPDATE!

A couple minutes ago, I checked the /idgames FTP again and my map is now missing from it! Then I found it in /newstuff... Still no verification email...

Check the LAST.* files for your files true destination, or REJECTS if it was rejected. 

ftp://gamers.org/pub/idgames/

Edited by Edward850

1 minute ago, Edward850 said:

If it's in /newstuff, that means it was accepted. Check the LAST.* files for your files true destination, or REJECTS if it was rejected. 

When is it gonna be on the real /idgames archive? Cause /newstuff isn't accessible in the /idgames archives web clients, not on the Legacy one, or the new Beta one. I want to see my map on there for everyone to look at!

18 minutes ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

When is it gonna be on the real /idgames archive? Cause /newstuff isn't accessible in the /idgames archives web clients, not on the Legacy one, or the new Beta one. I want to see my map on there for everyone to look at!

20 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Check the LAST.* files for your files true destination, or REJECTS if it was rejected.