Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deadwing

2018 Wad Catalog [+Updated!]

This is an awesome idea, Deadwing! Thank you for taking the initiative to do something like this.

Oh, great stuff. The Doom community is indeed pumping out some quality content and quite a lot of it, too. It would be nice to be more informed about all those nice releases.

nice little spreadsheet, feels like it's missing a lot though because, well like you said, lots of good stuff that's not on idgames yet, so that's the tricky part really is finding all of those threads, but i like what you have so far!

Great thread! 

Let me contribute with a few more releases:

• Preacher, a Boom compatible wad in a religious theme, which found its place in idgames recently!. It should get more recognition imo.
  • Return to Hell, an old-school megawad that barely got any feedback (I'm guilty for not keeping up with it too) and no seeming news since the beta release. 
  • Avactor, a Boom set of jungle/temple maps that I think it's still in development. No idgames link yet so, let's not miss this one!
  • Gridlock 64, a megawad with restrictions in design. I know this one was released on December of last year, but the leader said they were going to fix the issues and upload it to idgames, sometime.
  • Maskim Xul, a masterpiece by Obsidian that I had the pleasure to be the first reviewer <3
  • Final Invasion, another Boom mapset that had some potential but lacked enough feedback. 
  • Relyctum, yet another forgotten episode for Doom II, with an interesting, albeit awkward, claustrophobic theme and impressive stock textures usage. BeeWen might be working on more maps, who knows, that's what he said.  
  • Lost Civilization, an atypical adventure style with functional run-and-gun and DoomCutery everywhere, and we can see Jaska's delicious updates in the pictures thread. 
  • Flotsam, bunch of hard maps for your fetishes courtesy of hard gameplay fetishists mappers. It'll get an idgames link anytime soon.
  • Dimension of The Boomed, an amazing Quake-in-Doom set for MBF compatible ports. I don't know what @Urthar is waiting to upload it to idgames, I mean, dude, come on >:l
  • Bifrost, a colorful single map that some of us took it as an LGBTIQ+ Pride map. 
  • Fruit Salad, @Grain of Salt you should get this to idgames plz. 
  • The Secret Energy, a dope demanding Boom map settled in a "modern" tech base, not a KDITD one. 

Well ok, more than "a few", I really got into this lol. Definitely missing a lot of content, many single maps and projects outside of the vanilla-boom spectrum that I didn't pay attention to. Anyway, hope this helped.

EDIT: Figured that I could keep adding stuff to the list since why not! (unless you want me to stop). The idea is excellent to bring back as many overlooked goodies as we can, so they're not lost in the shadows forever. These are some that I played or commented in their respective threads:

• Jiffy Bag, a compilation of Boom maps by Jimmy, officially released a few days ago (release candidate). Seem like compact maps in his own classic style.
  • Village of Rotten Bones, a sprawling map for vanilla Heretic, I suppose other games count. 
  • Atonement, a delicious vanilla megawad in WIP state. My second status bar ever is there <3 
  • Fonze's bad day, a birthday slaughter map by Nine Inch Heels and Rdwpa, one that E1M1 die-hard fans might have to think thrice before trying it.
  • Xenomorph Base, short limit-removing wad by various from Doomer Boards. Starts with "X" so that's a good enough reason to play it.
  • Strangehold, a single map by Sparktimus in a tech base theme. 
  • Phobos: The Doomed Moon, an E1 wad for ZDoom I guess, apparently the author is in the way to create the megawad or at least replacements for every Doom episode. They released Deimos: The Damned Moon too which I played a bit. Leans toward slaughtery and gimmicky, an interesting project imo.
  • Tyrant's Tomb, another single vanilla map for Heretic, by ETTiNGRiNDER. 
  • Gods & Guardians, supposedly a short vanilla mapset that Wraith is still working on. It's made in his pure nostalgic style and it's rich in exploration. Hopefully he'll be able to finnish it in the future. 
  • 15 Shades of Grey, single map by Obsidian.
Edited by galileo31dos01

Cool idea! A couple of notes:

These last two sorta make me wish that there was a “megamap” category for single maps (or maps that arguably feel like single maps like Maskim Xul) that take, say, 45 minutes or more to get through on a normal play through. Probably too many shades of grey to really make that a workable category, though (>45 minutes for who? How do you define the “feel” of a single map? What about maps that get their extended playtime more from challenge than size?).

I don't know what @Urthar is waiting to upload it to idgames, I mean, dude, come on >:l

Altazimuth made a cool thing called deltafonts for Eternity Engine which I want to incorporate into the final version of DotB. So I'm waiting for a stable release of EE that supports them.

Thanks a lot, guys! I didn't have enough time to make the update and fix the mistakes, but I'll do it asap.

I've updated the sheet according to the suggestions! I also added the Cacoward awards, runner-ups, and mentionings (both in the Cacoaward post and in the Cacoward mentioning thread). I did want to create a "Megamap" subcategory, but unfortunately, I would have to play each of the maps to guess if they are large or well elaborated enough for classifying correctly, which you demand way too much time for me >.<

Anyway, I grouped all the wads into a "recommended" tab with all the wads that got some sort of mention, and in the end, I still got 133 entries! It has been an amazing year indeed :)

You might need more than one person helping you categorize this sort of listing due to its sheer size.