Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fuzzball

Seeing Blue - Single Map! v1B

Updated with a tiny lil' fix- some textures had come off alignment at some point and some sectors had been left tagged causing a lil' oddity next to the outside corner bridge!

Blue?
I like blue...unless my screen turns blue with the condescending Windows frowny face, then I get sad and my face turns blue.
Gonna download and give it a play.

Done, It was nice, a lot better than my first map, plenty of enemies, and a good balance of blue.
My only gripe is that I had trouble finding a switch for a minute or two but once I found it everything was good.
I did kinda escape the map though by jumping out a window, but I got back in as easily as I left.

Edited by wolfmcbeard

14 minutes ago, Fuzzball said:

Yeah jumping isn't really meant to be a thing- it can't break the flow TOO much but isn't required.

Kinda figured the moment I flew through the window, I still enjoyed it.
finished in 13:25 with 98%k 91%i and 100%s on my second run.

Phew...okay there were some things to fix- but I did a lil' changing up of some ammo, bit of balance but also a new ending- the earlier one was a bit ..ehh but hopefully now much more exciting! :D

Updated main post but here is a link too~

Update here~

Here's a demo of my first run of the map. In UV, very challenging at first glance, Didn't quite understand how to find any of the secrets.

seebluv1.zip

That was very nice map. Open and nicely interconnected design with nice detail and layout. Gameplay feels good but maybe i will try to make bigger light variations. Great job fuzzball.

Thank you peeps! :) Yeah melee stuff kinda crept in a bit- it might have been me trying to balance without giving too much ammo from monsters, will think about this next time!

Hey Fuzz, fun, quick map! I loved all the pretty blue and your textures look great in-game. I played this on the phone so this map actually challenged me ""a bit"" ^u^

Progression around the level was pretty interesting but I got confused at the effects of some switches who's effect could either not be seen or not be easily/readily seen from the switch press and as a result, I got lost once or twice.

Enemy composition was fitting for a map01 and health was balanced nicely to fit what is here already, but in my personal view the RL could have been given much earlier and the shotty could have had more ammo (added, not moved) near the beginning to dispel the vibe of needing to hoard its ammo and swap to the pistol/saw regularly, which is increased through stuff like secrets giving 4 shells... c'mon Fuzz cut back and have fun with it; let your hair down, toss an early rl and throw us a rev or five ;D

That said, a decent chunk of enemies just felt like they were there just to be there, considering that I played the hardest difficulty from my perspective it would be better if more were used more effectively, though all that said I got knocked around quite a bit with the current set, heh.

Anyway, enough rambling; here's an FDA. Congrats on the release Fuzz! *hug!*

That is a beautiful liquid flat. Welcome to the world of non-speedmapping. 

The layout and map design are decent. I agree with Fonze in that the map feels like it is quite cautious with thing balance and monster placement -- it is very ascetic, in a way, quite by the book. If you do want to spice it up, an earlier RL is of course one possible alternative, although a dozen or so alternatives came to mind, so I wouldn't prescribe any specific approaches. 

Some misc talking points: 

- I noticed that your monster conveyors don't loop. This means that if a destination gets blocked, the map won't be maxable. I had that happen to me in the chainsaw area because I pressed the switch to get the chainsaw instead of killing everything in the room with the pistol, which is the more natural way for me to play that. 

- I was hesitant to use the rocket launcher with gusto in the final area, because I had no idea if a monster would spawn in my face at an unmarked teleport destination, and given the staging, it felt to me as if it might have been a multi-wave fight. 

- I did like the secret implementation. One potential downside of the shell secret is that people who don't find the secret that it is a front for will likely consider it dumb. It can also reduce incentives for future secret hunting. But they are alright. The green armor jump is quirky (that taunting stimpack) and clever and reliably technical; the radsuit secret has a good use.

- At the blue key, initially I thought 'this could use more monsters', but I suppose you are playing psychological games and want to tempt fleeing (from essentially nothing) into the crushers, and that is clever. The initially ominous look of it is cool as well. Really screams 'this has to be a trap!' And it is. Just not the one you expect.  

- Lifts can run the risk of being awkward for flow if you have to ride too many of them in a short span. It is probably borderline approaching that here, although not horrible or anything.  

Cool little map. Some of the traps were rather interesting in their design like the Chaingun room. I thought that the lighting in the starting area could use a little touch up to make it a little be more interesting since it's rather flat. Gameplay was fun and straightforward, a Berserk pack could make things a lot more fun but the Chainsaw do come in handy. Overall, a great "first map" and a decent effort. Keep it up.

Also I kept thinking that with all the idea of the blue liquid damaging you, perhaps it could be implemented into the Health Potions just as an extra layer of fuck you to the perfectionists among us, like if the demons poisoned those little bottles and scattered them around so you would fall into taking them. It could be a funny and creative way to add a hazard to the movement of the player so that each one of them drains -1 of hp rather than the opposite. Anyway, just a silly and useless idea but funny when it comes to my mind.

9 hours ago, Uni said:

Cool little map. Some of the traps were rather interesting in their design like the Chaingun room. I thought that the lighting in the starting area could use a little touch up to make it a little be more interesting since it's rather flat. Gameplay was fun and straightforward, a Berserk pack could make things a lot more fun but the Chainsaw do come in handy. Overall, a great "first map" and a decent effort. Keep it up.

Also I kept thinking that with all the idea of the blue liquid damaging you, perhaps it could be implemented into the Health Potions just as an extra layer of fuck you to the perfectionists among us, like if the demons poisoned those little bottles and scattered them around so you would fall into taking them. It could be a funny and creative way to add a hazard to the movement of the player so that each one of them drains -1 of hp rather than the opposite. Anyway, just a silly and useless idea but funny when it comes to my mind.

That latter idea is evil! D: Would be a bit too cruel really~

As for the berserk pack? There is one! :D It's in a secret though~ If you do some scouting about the computer area up north you will find some nestled secrets~

Using GZDoom. I like this. Not too easy, not too killer. An enjoyable way to spend a few minutes. Two things.

There's no reason to cross linedef tag 25, which opens the closet of monsters. You'd have to want to jump into the nukage. I just grabbed the Berserk and left the way I came.

I'm not sure that the linedef tag 32 teleport loop is working properly. I ran through the map twice and both times one Chaingunner had gotten past both linedefs and was stuck against the south wall. Maybe it's too close to the first teleport linedef and the fast scrolling floor threw him past it? The second time through one Baron didn't teleport into the exit room also. His spot was probably blocked and their closets don't have loops.

Good stuff. Nothing really felt odd or out of place. Fun. I'm guessing a one-man megawad is next for you.

Yeah I wish I had made them all loopable- some of them are but one of them may have broken.. :/ The beserk secret can open the monster closet if you approach the edge but go back~

To go with your points RDWPA-

- Shell secret- I wasn't too sure if the nestled secret would be obvious, was under the impression that perhaps players might want to search more as you said- a single set of shells seems a bit underwhelming for a secret alone! Perhaps I should have changed the second secret to be activated via another method in the same area.

-Blue key trap you hit the nail on the head- originally in an earlier version the key was a little closer to where the imps spawn- thus you could hear them...but being further away it's not as obvious until you see them! :D The crushers too help to "slow down" the player some so they can't just bumrush.

-I wanted to use the lifts as a means to getting somewhere higher faster or out of trouble- mainly the latter as a way to save yourself from burnination. It's possible to do the map without touching the chemicals I'm sure~ I know for sure you can backtrack after the small bit of platforming in the south~

Some good points, and stuff to take into account! :) Good to get some positive criticism as I can look into things for a new project and look back~!

Got around to playing this one finally. Overall it was very good but I go into more detail in the video.

I wish my first map was this good! (Or any of my maps, for that matter :P) Really love the aesthetic, stands out from the typical dark, brown industrial base look I see a lot of the time.

Also, as you can tell from my profile picture, I really dig the music choice. Good taste! :D

Mmm! Thank you both for the playthrough~  some good points @Plusw didn't think about the pillars in the south would be an issue in regards to texturing but I will certainly keep in mind! You did miss the chaingun though- I was screaming at your video for you to go in there lmao but you just bypassed it completely, the trap in there isn't too kind if you're not expecting it so I was hoping to see your reaction to that!

Glad you enjoyed though, compliments on the layout means a lot as I know I am at least doing something right, I am a fan of opening up and joining back to main areas to keep flow going over long windy corridors.

Plan to fix up some stuff for (hopefully) a final release- might change up a couple of the encounters, lessen the pinkies or change about, fix the teleporting bugs and perhaps look at a few texture things to help improve what's what!

I played this map some days ago (using ZRift mod). Since i'm new to all this "custom wads" universe, i didn't find anything wrong, i had a really fun time playing it :)

Thanks for sharing it :)