Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Some questions about Doomsday Vs Zdoom

I am use to Zdoom but the powerful 3D model and animation support in Doomsday looks tempting to me since I am currently working on a mod that uses 3D models. But how does the engine stack up against Zdoom in other areas? I intend to feature some story elements in my mod involving cutscenes and audio clips that are triggered at specific moments. Does Doomsday support this? And what about level scripting? ACS is powerful in zdoom, how does Doomsday compare?

Bonus question: I hear Doomsday is to obtain PBR support in the future. Any idea how long this will be?

Bonus question 2: Can Doomsday play video files?

Edited by hardcore_gamer

1 hour ago, TheMightyHeracross said:

GZDoom also supports models. 

Specifically OBJ static models, MD2 models (Quake 2 era), MD3 models (Quake 3 era) and Unreal models. 

1 hour ago, Bauul said:

Specifically OBJ static models, MD2 models (Quake 2 era), MD3 models (Quake 3 era) and Unreal models. 

True but the problem with Gzdoom 3D model support though is that unlike Doomsday there is no animation support for modern formats so in order to use animated models for things like monsters or weapons you have to use hacky workarounds where you convert more modern formats to md3. I am REALLY hoping that Gzdoom will get something like fbx support someday.

Also, Doomsday supports FBX, which is much more modern. Trying to make models that look good with PBR while using the old, saggy-tits MD3 format, or even worse, MD2, is going to end in tears. 

Nothing is stopping GZDoom from having FBX support. But just as nothing is stopping it, also nothing is starting it. Here's how it works: you want something? You write the code. The entire reason why Unreal models are supported now is that someone wanted to use them and wrote the code for it. None of the GZDoom devs would have cared about implementing it in the first place, but they had no reason to reject a pull request as long as it looks okay and doesn't cause problems elsewhere. If you want FBX or Collada or NIF or whatever, make it yourself.