Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: Ultimate Doom The Way id Did

Yay, another death in E4M4. I feel good about my performance overall. The wad is pretty frickin stingy with health on UV, not exactly the christmas spirit :P The design is pretty cool so far, so imma go play some more.

Cat 1, recorded in Choco: dwironmancatdec2018.zip

8 hours ago, JudgeDeadd said:

So, what does "letting us off the hook" mean, exactly? If we die to the pit, we can restart the level?

I think that @Alfonzo is just pre-spoiling this one for everybody so that you all know to avoid my horrible oversight calculated artistic decision in favor of authenticity, and we can all continue to pretend that my maps are fun to play.

Edited by Pavera

1 hour ago, Pavera said:

my horrible oversight

Huh

I was praising that decision

8 hours ago, JudgeDeadd said:

So, what does "letting us off the hook" mean, exactly? If we die to the pit, we can restart the level?

If you die in the pit, you die in real life.

On 12/3/2018 at 12:56 PM, Catpho said:

Yay, another death in E4M4. I feel good about my performance overall. The wad is pretty frickin stingy with health on UV, not exactly the christmas spirit :P The design is pretty cool so far, so imma go play some more.

Cat 1, recorded in Choco: dwironmancatdec2018.zip

Your demo desyncs on my end for some reason. All the other ones seem to work fine.

So many deaths on the first map, interesting.

It has a rough start but didn't expect so many victims. Urthar needs to throw a grenade and blow those traps :v .

4 hours ago, NaZa said:

Your demo desyncs on my end for some reason. All the other ones seem to work fine.

That's strange, i checked it again and it does desync near the end of M2. I have no idea why it's like this :/

Blind survival in 1:12:23.

DWIronman_udtwid_BlooditeKrypto.zip

Very cool E4 replacement which focuses on close quarter combat with a high trap density, although I was surprised how cramped most of the maps were, taking place in tight corridors, funneling hallways and treacherous caverns. I was expecting more large outdoor areas which mimic the likes of E4M3 and E4M6 in scale and traversal, it's not a criticism but merely a curious observation; the gameplay focus is shifted towards intense firefights in small sized maps, with the player in combat most of the time, rather then in depth exploration in moderate sized maps. While their is deviation from a linear path, you won't really get lost as the maps aren't large in size, say in contrast to Double Impact or No End in Sight. So yeah it was different to what I was expecting, it replicates the texture scheme and style of E4 faithfully but the mapping layout is distinct in putting the player under pressure most of the time with strategic monster placement and devious traps, an interesting deviation from the original executed well :) With Thy Flesh Consumed you weren't always in tight areas and had room to breath, but this set demands you to be alert and cautious always as danger lurks around every corner.

The last level felt like an oddball with it's layout, a set piece of symmetrical hallways connected by various teleporters with caged snipers and some adjoining outdoor sections, it wasn't poor but felt bizzare in contrast to the previous maps in theme and gameplay. The section with tech base textures felt really out of place, how does this section of the map fit in with the location? Could it point to a dimensional opening where a small outpost once lay dormant before being assimilated by hellspawn? But then why are their no portal openings or UAC equipment, it just abruptly begins and ends without any connectivity to the rest of the map and visual coherency on how it manifested there. The bleeding brown skull texture appears frequently, but it feels out of place to be used so excessively in an E4 level, especially when placed next to marble walls. The gameplay was peculiar, suddenly changing to a slow, cautious approach where the threat comes from caged snipers and tricky corners, but you actually have breathing room in the interior sections, however all this was a distraction from the cataclysmic finale with it's innocent Spider duet, before descending into a frenzied bloodbath where your surrounded on all sides and under pressure from several Cybers, a fantastic adrenaline rush to say the least. Well done on a smashing release, but I'll take 2002 A Doom Odyssey E4 as my favourite replacement ;)

pegleg_dwi_udtwid.zip

I died on Map 01. 58/67 kills. I'm really quite happy with how I did.

How to characterize this run? I had played part of the map before (see below), true, so it wasn't truly a completely blind run. But everything after the first 50 seconds (and 3 kills) of the run was blind. So, I would like to call it a Category 2, because it wasn't really prepared or practiced and it wasn't inspected in an editor, although I would understand if Alfonzo decided to label this Category 3.

December is a busy month, so I decided to go blind and let the chips fall where they may. Like Urthar, though, I ended up playing this map a few times because the first 3 times I died somewhere around the first bend on to the landing. Then I took a couple days and lived my life and came back again. This time, I managed to make it much farther than that (obviously). I even managed to survive at 1% health for awhile. The first time I managed to fight off about 7 or 8 enemies before I was able to get to some health. The second time I was less fortunate. Ultimately, I was shot in the back while standing in lava with a rad suit and 1% health. Although, I did manage to kill 16 enemies while cruising around with blood pouring down my face. So, ~40% of my kills for the map were with 1% health. Go me.

Spoiler

The gaggle of lost souls wasn't too kind to me. At least 2 of them had the decency to fight amongst each other and give me some breathing space. That was nice of them. In retrospect, I had enough ammo in my chaingun and probably should've switched to it. Or aimed my shotgun better. That would've helped, too. Really, how do you miss a lost soul with a shotgun at nearly point blank range?

I enjoyed the first map. It was well put together. There was enough ammo and health to get you through. The enemy placement was well thought out and the encounters were good. The shells were plentiful and the health seemed to be conveniently at hand just when it was necessary. And even though the beginning seemed unmanageable at first, the rest of the map is not  unreasonable after getting over that first hump. If this is the level of the rest of the maps, that bodes well for UTWiD, in my opinion. I may go back sometime (when I have more time) and play through this on a lower difficulty level (where I prefer to play). It was fun. I enjoyed my time.

Cat 1, dead on Map 01 in 5:16 with 66/67 kills and 1/2 secrets. I was NOT prepared for #67.

dwironman-rth-udtwid.zip

EDIT: Uploaded on YouTube.

Spoiler

Download video

Edited by Rathori

14 minutes ago, Rathori said:

@Alfonzo You may wanna add "-iwad doom.wad" to the command line in the OP, I get an error without it with prboom+ 2.5.1.4.

I was having the same problem. In fact, I almost posted a question to this thread asking if anyone else was having the same problem, before realizing that PrBoom+ was defaulting to Doom 2.

Killed in map 4 by a smart sergeant (cat 1):

I was surprised by the low amount of health provided, I don't recall the original Udoom to be like that.

bob_udtwid_rc2_e4.lmp.zip (recorded in EE v.4.0.0, -vanilla)

Dead on E4M2

Not even mad about it, I'm pretty proud of finishing E4M1 after having gotten myself into a pretty tough situation with the final encounter. Unfortunately, that meant coming into the second map with barely any health or armor, which sealed my fate. Really enjoyed that first map, though, beating it was one satisfying personal achievement.

I was just looking over the rules, so if you wanted to, you could play in GZDoom with a mod like Beautiful Doom or Smooth Doom as long as you show its changed to Doom compatibility and of course played with no jumping or mouse look?

Some bugs I've found in Release Candidate 2:

1. Way too many medicine on E4M1 on Ultra-Violence. Hell Beneath don't have non-secret medikits at all (on UV).
  2. No Nine Inch Nails logo on E4M1.
  3. No Winterfeldt Jump and BFG-through-wall on E4M2.
  4. Only three of 22 secrets on E4M3.
  5. I suspect maps' names are not from bible.

Nearly half of monthly table consists of entries with death on first map with 66/67 kills. Who else could I expect there, Commander Keen or Romero's head? But there are no sprites of this two superbosses in doom.wad, lol.

Whilst I strongly dislike (perfectly hate, lol) original id Software WADs (way too boring gameplay and far-from-eye-candy level design), I'm really in love with Thy Flesh Consumed. Perfect Hatred is one of my favourite maps of all time (Doom the Way It's Speedrunned). Unfortunately, I hadn't seen as much resembles and references as I wanted (and expected) to.

Demo ends up on E4M3 with 52/77 of the unluckiest ones -- in just a bunch of seconds after own-rocket-in-a-face-costs-@42PercentHealth (Doom the Way Vince've Died).

Category I.

dwiudwid.zip

(I forgot how to properly name demos for @NaZa)

17 hours ago, Beezle said:

I was just looking over the rules, so if you wanted to, you could play in GZDoom with a mod like Beautiful Doom or Smooth Doom as long as you show its changed to Doom compatibility and of course played with no jumping or mouse look?

No, even shipped brightmaps.pk3 and lights.pk3 are prohibited. DOSBox or PrBoom+ w/complevel are the best and nearly orgastic ways to Nirvana (Doom the Way It's Played).

2 hours ago, Vince Vega said:

No, even shipped brightmaps.pk3 and lights.pk3 are prohibited. DOSBox or PrBoom+ w/complevel are the best and nearly orgastic ways to Nirvana (Doom the Way It's Played).

Yeah I was gonna say its probably easier to record the demos with PrBoom anyways, thanks Vince Vega.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/352893994

Category 1 run. I died on E4M1. Meh, with no Britbowl to aim for I wasn't too bothered to be honest. (plus I haven't been in the best of moods lately)

I then played the rest of the wad and found it quite enjoyable, particularly Gifty's map (who is he/she?). Definitely a fun add-on to DTWID and a nice E4-style wad in general.

Here's to 2019!

Long time, no posting or rather no entry.

So, here's my run. Died at the end of E4M1 to the Cyberdemon. I did do Doom Strict comp, but still had mouselook on (I forgot to check if it was set to off instead of default).

Rather than dying to a 2D Hostile Line Segment, I rode a Cyberdemon's rocket to the grave.

Video below, when available.

https://youtu.be/SPbPxZGx0bU