Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MsKaye

SIGIL v1.21 - New Romero megawad [released!]

18 levels only? Only 9 of them for SP? Well it's not bad for Romero... I would like to see Romero's face when @Jimmy tells him about Deathless build time. Take a seat, Romero.

Edited by Rimantas

33 minutes ago, Bauul said:

There's a video trailer:

Romero really seems to like doing the whole "Carving zigzags and then deepening them to make cracks" trick these days, doesn't he?

Boy, this is disappointing.  I was really hoping for a Blackroom comeback, this time with some actual gameplay footage.

Is Blackroom even a thing now, I wonder?

Oh well.

It seems no D2 monsters will be used, but the levels look awesome. I think Romero should go for a 11 level WAD, as E1M4b and E1M8b will fit this episode better as warmup techbase levels.

2019 will be a great year for retro FPS fans. New Romero episode, Ion Maiden, Blood remaster.

But what about Doom II super shotgun? It's hard to take the fact we will not have a possibility to use it

Not the announcement I was expecting, but hey, I'll be happy to take a boxed copy (pre-orders are open now). Just snagged a pre-order on the cheaper one. Looking forward to playing this when it's released!

8 minutes ago, ImpieEyez95 said:

@Romero is showcasing some of it now on Twitch! :) 

Which source port is he using?

Romero did a good job with the WADs he released in the past couple years, and working with the original Doom was fine to get back into the swing of mapping, but a whole episode of it seems overly geared toward nostalgia. We all know how much the Doom II monsters spice up combat.

From the Twitch stream: it's Limit-Removing with a Dehacked patch for the par times etc. 

I'm about as hyped as anyone else in here, but why pick an article that bashes on said project? They keep whining at how they're disappointed that Romero's big announcement is "just a megawad".

On 12/9/2018 at 1:25 PM, Jimmy said:

If it's a legit "Episode 5" for the original Doom (á la Duke Nukem 3D: World Tour) I swear to god I'll... do... something.

EDIT: The whiteboard appears to have the words "5 Core Elements In Games" on it, so I don't know if this is an indicator of what's coming. It's got a few instances of literally the words "More words" as well, implying the whiteboard could in fact be a massive red herring written in nonsense. Would need a higher-res image of it.

5 core elements reminds me of LGR's 5 points of what makes Classic Doom so great, a combination of controls, level design, pacing, weapons and atmosphere. incidentally, LGR updated the title of his Doom video:

19 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

Doom definitely wasn't the all-Romero job some people rosetint it to be - I'd argue John Carmack is the biggest single key to Doom. Romero helped out quite a bit of course, but without Carmack's technical genius, it'd hardly have been the cult phenomenon it became.

As for Blackroom, well... how many people outside of those on this forum likely really remember it, much less have heard of it? The world has moved well on past Romero as a name that can sell a game, mostly due to the disaster of Daikatana and its infamous "Bitch" ad.

When your best credit is still "one of the guys who made Wolf3D and Doom," it's not very good for you.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Romero is a bad guy, or wish ill on him - he earned his success. But how instrumental he was in making Doom a success, that's a much thornier issue, and one that could probably have a topic all to itself - "Who, out of the Doom team, was the person most responsible for its success?"

I don't think it's a battle Romero would win if we were being truly fair and unbiased.

John Romero is the Amerigo Vespucci of Doom.

On 12/10/2018 at 10:22 AM, Gez said:

Tch, tch, a megawad is for 15+ maps! :p

Well, including the DM maps brings the count to 18 so... technically?

EDIT: Apparently, the DM maps are just separate parts of the same 9 maps, so this post is false.

Edited by TheMightyHeracross

Wow, this looks very promising. First John Romero treats us with two standalone E1-style maps, and now he creates an episode. Happy 25th Anniversary to Doom! If only we could get a full megawad with maps by him, Tom Hall, American McGee, and even Sandy Petersen, if they are also interested in making more Doom maps, then it would be definitely something.

53 minutes ago, dmslr said:

Which source port is he using?

It looks like (G)Zdoom, based on the HUD. But i think any limit-removing port should be able to run it (like in case of E1M8-B and E1M4-B)

5 hours ago, TheMightyHeracross said:

Well, including the DM maps brings the count to 18 so... technically?

Barely 18 megawad.

Edited by Space Boss

15 minutes ago, Lizardcommando said:

How exciting! Have there been any screenshots released yet?

He uploaded a two minute or so trailer on his personal YouTube channel. Don't have a link though, sorry.