Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

[Good games!] December 10th Massive FFA for Doom's Birthday!

I've never been overly keen on Doom as a multiplayer experience, but I think this would be a sterling way to celebrate the game's 25th birthday (and not anniversary, as many have erroneously stated). 

EDIT by Doomkid: This is definitely happening. See you all on Zandronum! Get the wad here: http://doomshack.org/wads/25th_dm_60maps.zip

"[Doomshack.org] Doom's 25th Birthday - DEATHMATCH CELEBRATION!" https://discord.gg/gsVSHGK

Edited by Doomkid

sure

Despite being a fool who has always used the erroneous term ‘anniversary’ I would love to host this. We should play a rotation of a couple classics as well as a couple new school sets given the nature of the event - celebrating all eras of DM and whatnot.

This is officially a thing!

If I host the cluster is in California which pings decently for most of us living in Australia, other than Alfonzo for some god forsaken reason.

I think the most accessible source port for people will probably be Zandronum, so I’d prefer to use that but I have clusters on all 3 so I’m not fussed either way.

9 hours ago, Gaia74 said:

Even if i am bad in deathmatch, I'm here!

I'm not very good at (Doom) deathmatch, either. Half-Life deathmatch I'm fairly decent at, though I'm not too fond of the tau cannon metagame that emerges when you play high-level duels. 

I'm planning to be here at about 9AM Australian East Coast time, which translates to about 7PM USA East Coast time. I think the evening is the best time to have it (and not just because it's the only time I'll be available!)

I think it would be fun to play a little example of everything, going in time from oldschool to modern. Maybe 10 map rotations of the following landmark wads:

• DWANGO (best of, mostly from 5, 6 and 12. Made from 1994 to 1997)
  • Classix (Compilation of the highly influential DANZIG and DWELLER wad series. Made in 1995 and 1996 respectively)
  • GothicDM (love it or hate it, it's influence in visuals still lasts to this very day. Made in 1997)
  • EXECUTION (arguably the most played deathmatch wad of all time, took the best elements of Brit10/11 and perfected it. Made in 1999/2000)
  • UDM3 (There's a sound argument to be made that this was the first "sleek and modern" style deathmatch set, highly influential. Made in 2003)
  • Onslaught DM 3 (Another all-time classic that basically slammed the best bits of all of the above into one lone wad. Made in 2006/2007)
  • (Here's where I suggest UDMX for it's influence that was eternally felt by many mappers, including every single DM-oriented 32in24 that came after it's release. Made in 2008)
  • Ideally, I'd like to finish off with a few maps from DBAB and Aeon DM, not only because they're fun and gorgeous but because it's such a vivid and striking "look how far we've come" sensation comparing it to the likes of DWANGO.

The only problem is that the ONLY port which would support such a map rotation (without 10 hours of bullshit work) will be Odamex, which in itself is too dated under the hood to run the best-of-the-best modern DM wads.

I wish I'd thought of all this earlier. I'd prefer to have this on Zand, simply because it wins the numbers game + has the greatest wad compatibility. I could simply host each one as it's own server with a 10 map rotation and we could server hop, but that seems like a giant pain in the ass. Theoretically compiling all maps into one giant wad is certainly feasible, but there's just not enough time.

Either way, I'll have all of this material up on the [Doomshack.org] deathmatch cluster on Zandronum. Any ideas - preferably in the next couple hours! - are greatly appreciated.

11 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

I wish I'd thought of all this earlier. I'd prefer to have this on Zand, simply because it wins the numbers game + has the greatest wad compatibility. I could simply host each one as it's own server with a 10 map rotation and we could server hop, but that seems like a giant pain in the ass. Theoretically compiling all maps into one giant wad is certainly feasible, but there's just not enough time.

Got a list of maps in particular? Renaming them, dropping them into a wad, writing a MAPINFO and uploading to TSPG shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I've actually got 50 maps just about ready and your titlepic is perfect!

Map01 - Map10: Various Dwango Maps

Map11 - Map15: Dweller2, maps 1, 4, 6, 9 and 11

Map16 - Map20: Greenwar, maps 5, 7, 9, 14 and 20

Map21 - Map25: EXEC, maps 1, 5, 7, 10 and 12

Map26 - Map31: UDM3, maps 1, 4, 7, 8, 10 and 12

Map32 - Map44: PyrrhicXL, maps 1, 5, 6, 8, 10, 16, 19, 21, 22, 24, 26, 27 and 31

Map45 - Map50: Lazarus1j, maps 1, 4, 7, 13, 22 and 25

I think this will make for a really fun rotation that represents a lot of various eras and mapping styles.

I guess tomorrow (6 AM, which is when the carnage will start where I live) will be the first time I play multiplayer DOOM again since ages ago. Good thing my final exam starts on Wednesday

See y'all!

Is anyone going to be live streaming this on Twitch or Youtube? I should hope that at least a couple of us will be recording the event. Looking forward to it!

Just a heads up, my internet connection is pretty fast, and it's taking me a while to download the material via Doomseeker. So it might be a good idea for everyone to have everything downloaded well in advance. 

Edited by Ajora

Better to just download the files directly from Doomkid's link. Also be sure to have the latest version of Zandronum installed, as I needed to do. 

Provided I make it I'll definitely make a youtube video and post it. Will be fun to dm again! I hope to see some old friends there :D