Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MsKaye

SIGIL v1.21 - New Romero megawad [released!]

2 hours ago, Nancsi said:

2019 will be a great year for retro FPS fans. New Romero episode, Ion Maiden, Blood remaster.

And lets not forget Doot Eternal.

14 minutes ago, Novaseer said:

He uploaded a two minute or so trailer on his personal YouTube channel. Don't have a link though, sorry.

There ya go

Also, while the "megawad" is of course free, there's a couple boxed editions you can preorder, from standard collectors box to a id anthology-inspired box with a shit ton of goodies and extras (including Romeros head on a stick pewter). It's a spiritual 5th episode to classic DOOM, of course.

Full details and preorder info below:

https://www.romerogames.ie/sigil

EDIT: Additionally, here's link to the full twitch stream

https://m.twitch.tv/theromero/profile

Edited by Buckshot

Disappointment. And Romero is trying make money off of it? What a joke. And to think that this will get so much more attention than all those amazing mapsets made by the community.

I've watched a bit of the stream. Levels themselves look alright. Buckethead music is as unfitting for DOOM as I expected. Also, Romero can't play.

Shame that Romero is mentioned as the one who made Doom, the so called, "Godfather" of the fps genre. Credited at creating the game when in reality the whole team at id Software put it together.

Just now, Touchdown said:

Disappointment. And Romero is trying make money off of it? What a joke. And to think that this will get so much more attention than all those amazing mapsets made by the community.

I've watched a bit of the stream. Levels themselves look alright. Buckethead music is as unfitting for DOOM as I expected. Also, Romero can't play.

AFAIK, the episode is going to be completely free and its only the soundtrack/goodies that will cost. There is nothing wrong in it from a legal point of view. Though I admit that those goodies are really overpriced and very few people would preorder it. 

Although I am excited for free Romero levels. I have to say that this effort could have been better spent on developing Blackroom.

OH and Romero played like a noob at twitch (i have a feeling he deliberately played bad to not reveal too much)

I don’t think anyone is under the impression that Romero made doom all on his own? I see about equal praise for John Carmack and only a little less (but still plenty) for Tom Hall, Sandy, Bobby Prince, etc...

edit: I was replying to heretic-assassin but Reaper snuck in that ninja-speed post. For those not in the know, Romero never plays his best in demos! Watch the Demo reel for Doom2 as an example :)

18 minutes ago, Touchdown said:

14 minutes ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

Shame that Romero is mentioned as the one who made Doom, the so called, "Godfather" of the fps genre. Credited at creating the game when in reality the whole team at id Software put it together.

Why be so harsh?

2 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

OH and Romero played like a noob at twitch (i have a feeling he deliberately played bad to not reveal too much)

I'm not sure about that. I assume that he did not play Doom a lot during the last 25 years.

Just now, Manuel-K said:

I'm not sure about that. I assume that he did not play Doom a lot during the last 25 years.

On second thought, ur probably right. He didn't play doom like us guys did. His skills are like the players from 1994.

11 minutes ago, TakenStew22 said:

Why be so harsh?

I didn't mean to, I was just saying that Romero did not invent the genre, and that he wasn't alone when making Doom. I still believe that Rare and Free Radical were the kings of the fps genre.

1 minute ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

I didn't mean to, I was just saying that Romero did not invent the genre, and that he wasn't alone when making Doom. I still believe that Rare and Free Radical were the kings of the fps genre.

We know he didn't, but he definitely popularized it.

1 hour ago, Touchdown said:

Geez, talk about a salty comment =P

It's a free megawad, nothing to complain here. The other stuff is totally optional.
And ffs, he made the game in the first place (the id team). I think it's totally fair if he wants to earn something from a game that a lot of people still loves after 25 years.

Edited by Noiser

13 minutes ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

Free Radical

Crysis 2 almost made me stop buying modern games.

––

Addendum: I like the Buckethead music. I wonder if the soundtrack will be available digitally as well.

The shipping costs to Europe seem to be about $25 and I'm not up to date on the Zoll regulations.

Edited by Manuel-K : Addendum

I for one am excited to try out this Episode 5. Seeing this much new content from one of the creators of Doom is a wonderful gift for Doom's 25th birthday.

On 12/9/2018 at 4:29 AM, ReX said:

Maybe it's a game that will be available for 5 bucks. Heh.

Exact change only

20 minutes ago, Manuel-K said:

Crysis 2 almost made me stop buying modern games.

They didn't create Crysis 2 though.

Holy shit. It IS an episode 5! Those boxes look incredible, but now I have to decide which version I want. My soul is telling me to shoot for the stars and get the $166 box but my mind is telling me be frugal and go with the standard big box. Arrgh decisions!

Either way, this is awesome. I can't wait to play this. A complete episode by Romero? Sign me up!

3 minutes ago, The-Heretic-Assassin said:

They didn't create Crysis 2 though.

Really? I remember that they got bought by Crytek and became Crytek UK. And then made Crysis 2.

very cool...love the USB/floppy idea and that box art is amazing.  brings back warm fuzzy feelings of when we got our first family computer in 95 and i was trying to figure out how to install doom :)

6 minutes ago, NightFright said:

just that it won't be available right away

Right. I really hate that. A teaser for a teaser.

36 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

that release trailer better not be played on UV-difficulty, because if it is it might be snooze-fest.wad...

If you find it to be too easy you can edit all the maps yourself and ad as many monsters as you like in it ;P

48 minutes ago, Nevander said:

Holy shit. It IS an episode 5! Those boxes look incredible, but now I have to decide which version I want. My soul is telling me to shoot for the stars and get the $166 box but my mind is telling me be frugal and go with the standard big box. Arrgh decisions!

Either way, this is awesome. I can't wait to play this. A complete episode by Romero? Sign me up!

"To own the collectibles you must pay me, John Romero." 

Exciting news indeed. Shipping is going to kill me if I go through with it.