Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dragonfly

[FINAL RELEASE] Eviternity

Defaults should be fine; any really needed compatibility option would have been set in ZMAPINFO.

2 minutes ago, Gez said:

Defaults should be fine; any really needed compatibility option would have been set in ZMAPINFO.

Thanks.  I am pretty much stuck playing everything on GZDoom until I get a new mouse because I need the controller support, and I ain't using Xpadder to do it on PRBoom, it feels weird af.

One of the things I really like about the textures in the first episode is how a lot of them seem like callbacks to vanilla textures, but done over in cool new ways. 

@guitardz as Gez correctly stated, the compatability is automatically handled via ZMAPINFO in GZDoom. (Yes, that means you're stuck with infinite heights. Time to play 'real' Doom! ;)

I only got to skim through the maps when I got up this morning before I had to leave.

• Map01 is really cool, especially for an opening map.
  • The cyan/teal-ish theme looks really good.
  • The opening scene and fight of Map29 absolutely blew me away

Now that I'm back from doing life stuff, I'm really looking forward to playing a lot more of this than I probably should. Everything I've seen so far has impressed me and this was certainly worth the wait.

35 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

@guitardz 

Yes, that means you're stuck with infinite heights. Time to play 'real' Doom! ;)

That's fine, it's one option I always have ticked on anyway, lol.  Unless something is clearly made for it to be off.

To anyone who's read my earlier post on page 2, or likes using blood mods, its ONLY with Nash Gore 0.9 that this problem occurs with the dead zombiemen and imps acting as a barrier, even after switching from blood splat models to sprites. After testing this some more, NashBloodFixed, Ketchup, and Bolognese all work perfectly fine with Eviternity. Just a heads up.

Played the first 4 maps and have to say this is really an incredible start!  Love the textures, level layouts, difficulty (playing on HMP).  Really nothing to criticize!  Well maybe the maps are a little bit too dark in areas...  But that could be down to my sector lighting mode.  @Dragonfly what GZDoom lighting mode should I use here?  I usually use 'Doom'.

Also a shoutout to the musicians involved.  Awesome tracks so far, as gritty and metal as MIDI can get!

Well, time for my impressions of episode 1, which are probably going to be more of an exercise in how many different ways I can say "excellent" before repeating myself.

Playing with Prboom+ -complevel 11 UV pistol start.

Spoiler

Map01 - As I noted earlier, this is really good, especially for a map01. It's pretty complex and it has some neat combat while still feeling very much like an opening map.

Map02 - An excellent follow-up with the stakes raised a bit higher. I missed the shotgun at the beginning but managed okay. Again, I found the combat to be easy, but still engaging. I also like the continuity with map01 and that neat building.

Map03 - My first death, more due to stupidity than difficulty. Silly me. First thing I'd like to note is the nonlinearity. Pick a direction and go for it. One direction nets you a neat early plasma gun so I'd recommend that route. It's a step harder than map02, but it's still nothing a non mentally disabled player shouldn't be able to handle.

Map04 - A great castle map that brings us our first Super Shotgun, our first arch viles, and an edited arachnotron. I'm not sure what exactly the difference is, but I'm not getting hit to find out. I really like the early presenting of your end goal and I also really like the model throne switch.

Map05 - A fitting climax. The first thing is that this map is hard, about Sunlust's ep.2 difficulty if I had to quantify it. Also introduced is a new tough demon variant. The frantic kind of gameplay is really appealing to me, although I found health to be pretty scarce. I'd like to draw any readers' attention to the spinning floors in the small side rooms. It's easy to overlook detail but really cool. The ending of the map is also really cool, although it didn't work for me the first time.

Overall, I really enjoyed episode 1. Although I prefer the themes of the other episodes from what little I've played, the maps look really good and they all are very fun. I really enjoy the continuity. The entire episode felt like one cohesive adventure. I also really liked the steady increase in difficulty as the episode goes on. So far, this is looking up to be an absolutely awesome experience.

32 minutes ago, grahf said:

what GZDoom lighting mode should I use here?  I usually use 'Doom'.

I'm no Dragonfly, so apologies for butting in, but the one to use for basically everything is 'Software'. The names are kinda misleading -- the 'Software' mode is a close-as-possible emulation of lighting from Doom's software renderer (i.e. how Boom maps are intended to look), whereas the one labeled 'Doom' is a much older, much less accurate attempt. Goofy, but there it is. :P

Congrats on the release, Dragonfly! I'm happy to have been a part of the project, even if it just ended up being a fairly small contribution. I hope people enjoy that though, as well as everything else that went into the set.

Edited by AD_79

Just finished episode 1, and damn it's nice. Already making DWMC writeups for what I can only assume will be next month.

35 minutes ago, Xaser said:

I'm no Dragonfly, so apologies for butting in, but the one to use for basically everything is 'Software'. 

@grahf While Xaser is correct, Dragonfly actually tends to play in "Standard" mode, which is a relatively light option.  Personally I use "Doom" (I find the local lightsource of "Software" too distracting).  Either way though, the opening maps are the darkest in the mapset so you should find later ones easier to see in.  

I'm up to map10 and enjoying it! Gameplay flows very well. The textures and how they are used is awesome from what I've seen so far. Good job to @Dragonfly and everyone who contributed to the project!

I've got two bugs and a possible bug to report. I'm playing GZDoom 3.6.0.

Spoiler

j9woCxz.png
map02: It's possible to get stuck in the south corner of the room after raising the rock pillars with the switch. Softlocking the player. I didn't see a way to get out of there beside idclipping as the paths leading out are too narrow for the player.

XO53DCh.png
map06: The zombieman in the center of the pic is stuck in the wall. This corridor location is south from the player start.

xBwutOC.png
map09: Not necessarily a bug. The player is given a Computer Map later in the level and this secret has hidden lines covering it. Easy secret to discover but it's odd that linedefs are hidden.

First of all, congrats!

I tried some maps very quickly and wooooow those damn gorgeous colours, cool gameplay too. There're a couple of things I found:

- After the tally screen and before starting the next level, the screen goes black for a second, where there should normally appear the INTERPIC and title of the map. I don't know if that's intentional or a bug, currently using GLBoom+ 2.5.1.4. cl-11, software renderer. Same thing happens in 2.5.1.5. 

- This is purely personal and cosmetic, I think the STYSNUM and STGNUM lumps of the hud could use a different colour imo, like shades of green or white/silver.

@DragonflyIs playing with ZDooM 2.8.1 permissable (even if not advised)? If PRBoom+ is supported I'd think that would imply an OpenGL port is not absolutely necessary. If ZDooM is allowed, can the weather effects be enabled on it?

59 minutes ago, FrancisT18 said:

@DragonflyIs playing with ZDooM 2.8.1 permissable (even if not advised)? If PRBoom+ is supported I'd think that would imply an OpenGL port is not absolutely necessary. If ZDooM is allowed, can the weather effects be enabled on it?

The weather effects are written in a modern release of ZScript, so it's likely ZDoom won't work with them unfortunately. It may even fail to load if it attempts to run the ZScript lumps.

If you want the ZDoom-like experience but with weather effects, the latest version of GZDoom in software mode is the closest thing that's guaranteed to work.

Edited by Bauul

As far as I can tell, ZDoom 2.8.1 runs this just fine, but without the weather systems. It does the other zdoom specific stuff, like displaying the map names at the start of each map.

Seems it may be optional...PRBoom+ is explicitly supported and it (2.5.14) gives me no weather effects either. Might be a bad setting though?

15 minutes ago, FrancisT18 said:

Seems it may be optional...PRBoom+ is explicitly supported and it (2.5.14) gives me no weather effects either. Might be a bad setting though?

Weather effects are GZDoom exclusive features unfortunately, as awesome as they'd be in PRBoom+! Like the portal and teleport particles, they're just little visual additions that make use of GZDoom's advanced features. 

As of now, I believe Map 31 cannot be completed without using cheats. The small door that is intended to be opened with the red key (judging by the red skull textures around it) requires the blue key apparently.

EDIT: I'm on map 32 now lol. It started off so damn confusing, I got lost like a bazillion times. Anyhow, I'm not sure how to post links on these forums, but here is this little window I jumped into and ended up getting stuck in:

http://prntscr.com/ltej29

Map is awesome, by the way, but I kind of wish there was an easier way to obtain that RL.

EDIT 2: Map 32, final area. The closets with the lost souls and revs don't seem to work for some reason. Had to noclip to wake the monsters up. Also, I suggest you make the switch that unlocks the exit teleporter become accessible a tad later. If you've got a bfg, you can pretty much skip the whole fight and run for it. 

Here is a screenshot of the monsters I'm talking about:

http://prntscr.com/ltep86

Also, the southernwesternmost teleport with the lost souls doesn't seem to be working at all. Something wrong with the teleporter lines perhaps?

EDIT 3: Also, also: for some reason you get to keep all your stuff for map 16 after beating map 32. Not sure if that's intentional or not. But for people like me who play continuous, this will make episode 4 significantly easier. Sorry for the billion edits, but I thought this would be the way to go insteading of triple-posting and flooding the thread.

Edited by Firedust

No more of my stream links in this topic, its not about my streams but this amazing project!

Edited by Phade102

Firedust thanks for the detailed feedback! Not sure what's going on with the monster closets. What engine did you play in? And no other mods loaded?

36 minutes ago, ukiro said:

Firedust thanks for the detailed feedback! Not sure what's going on with the monster closets. What engine did you play in? And no other mods loaded?

Hi, @ukiro! GZDoom 3.6.something, UV, no mods.

Fantastic job on the textures, by the way! And loved your map, too :)

Some texturing problems I noticed so far:

MAP02: linedefs 1451 and 4113 are missing the upper unpegged flag
MAP07: linedefs 3165, 3167, 3168, 3169 have the wrong y-offset
MAP10: linedefs 3763, 3749 middle texture doesn't span the whole height
MAP11: plenty unaligned textures in the yellow key room

10 hours ago, Bauul said:

@grahf While Xaser is correct, Dragonfly actually tends to play in "Standard" mode, which is a relatively light option.  Personally I use "Doom" (I find the local lightsource of "Software" too distracting).  Either way though, the opening maps are the darkest in the mapset so you should find later ones easier to see in.  

Yeah, I've found "Doom" to be more accurate in some regards. I'll resume playing Eviternity (which is awesome btw,) with "Standard" now that you have confirmed the maps were almost certainly lit that way.

Got stuck behind a fence here on Map09:

EviternityStuck.png.56febf93f56839132e96ab2335a1ed94.png

Edited by Urthar