Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Firedust

Would you pay for an OG Doom expansion if it were to be released by Bethesda?

You know, this whole Romero episode thing got me thinking. How awesome would it be if Bethesda (or whoever currently owns the rights to the Doom franchise) were to pick up some level designers (perhaps even somebody from these forums) and occasionally release official Doom/Doom 2 expansion packs? I know that the whole paid vs unpaid Doom mods/wads is a neverending topic for debate, and I'm aware that some of the stuff people here make has gone way past the og games in terms of quality, but still. I mean, nobody is saying that they should use the original texture packs. They could always make their own new set, make the game look fresher. I'm aware that for Bethesda, as a huge game publisher/dev, this would just be a question of how much profit they'd make off this.

So what do you think? Would you pay for an official Bethesda OG expansion? Why/why not?

If it‘s looking awesome enough, why not? Just like with Ion Maiden. I‘d happily pay for it, even though there are a ton of free build engine maps out there. 

Regarding charging for maps / mods; It‘s simple, you‘d pay for a map? Awesome! You wouldn‘t want to pay? Awesome! Do whatever the hell you like. 

If they found a legal way to sell Doom expansions, community projects would be in trouble. I hope they don't do this.

Damn, I haven't actually thought about that, Nevander. You're absolutely right. I'm also part of the pokemon community, where people make lots of cool custom ROM hacks/rpg builder games made with poke tools, for which they charge nothing, but Game Freak still sometimes takes legal action against them.

Let us hope that never happens to the Doom community.

I think the answer to this just takes a quick look back to No Rest for the Living. A commercial add-on made by people unrelated to the original devs made decades later, but it is still an absolutely awesome set of maps that are well worth the small payment. I think that if Bethesda could show that they were creating something of similar quality, then I'd gladly pay a bit for it.

Edited by Spie812

3 hours ago, Firedust said:

You know, this whole Romero episode thing got me thinking. How awesome would it be if Bethesda (or whoever currently owns the rights to the Doom franchise) were to pick up some level designers (perhaps even somebody from these forums) and occasionally release official Doom/Doom 2 expansion packs? I know that the whole paid vs unpaid Doom mods/wads is a neverending topic for debate, and I'm aware that some of the stuff people here make has gone way past the og games in terms of quality, but still. I mean, nobody is saying that they should use the original texture packs. They could always make their own new set, make the game look fresher. I'm aware that for Bethesda, as a huge game publisher/dev, this would just be a question of how much profit they'd make off this.

So what do you think? Would you pay for an official Bethesda OG expansion? Why/why not?

No, because Bethesda would be unable to capture the essence and the feelings of what made the original game so good.

No, because people here make better WADs than id did, let alone Bethesda whose games are pretty shitty without community content anyway.

Probably. I'd rather see Bethesda/id produce a modern in-house port of Classic Doom, and give it some serious love and solid features (for example, simple and painless co-op via Steam's friends list, or PS4, or Switch, etc).

12 minutes ago, Lollie said:

Probably. I'd rather see Bethesda/id produce a modern in-house port of Classic Doom, and give it some serious love and solid features (for example, simple and painless co-op via Steam's friends list, or PS4, or Switch, etc).

This has been debated in the past several times, and the general consensus was that it was a bit too late for id -or anyone else, for that matter- to beat free Doom source ports at their own game with a commercial product. It was too late by the time Doom 3 came out, let alone now.

The only edge a large company like Bethesda would have to capitalize on, is offering a more solid multiplayer experience, on par with modern games. That might create a substantial following as well as "ecosystem" of exclusive mods for a commercial Doom source port, if they choose to go their own way. But without that, it would just be a money sink to try and compete head-to-head with e.g. ZDoom or even ZDaemon.

38 minutes ago, Maes said:

This has been debated in the past several times, and the general consensus was that it was a bit too late for id -or anyone else, for that matter- to beat free Doom source ports at their own game with a commercial product. It was too late by the time Doom 3 came out, let alone now.

I know, but man. It'd be nice to see id actually put resources into maintaining their classic releases, instead of just shoving them into DosBox and tossing them out onto storefronts. And I'd love to see Doom make an official appearance on console again - the XBox Live Arcade release had its bugs, but it was fun.

Y'know what though, dig up Doom 64. Acquire the rights and make that game legally available to everyone again, expand upon it so that it has co-op and deathmatch. Make an expansion specifically for it. I'd absolutely buy that one.

Edited by Lollie

If it had new levels, weapons, monsters, textures and ties the lore of the two games? Absolutely! In fact, it's not just about profit, they could even use it as marketing for the new game. In fact, I'm surprised they didn't do that for Doom 2016.

It would need to have at least some new textures and soundtrack, although I would want new enemies a lot too.

I would definitely love more official maps. I don't care what people say, if the content is good then I'll gladly pay for it. Bethesda or not.

Just please don't turn this into another Final Doom controversy.

A weapon to replace the Pistol and make it more useful, an entirely new weapon, perhaps demonic, 4 new enemies, loads of new textures, new lore...Ah, it would be a dream come true. 

They should do what machine games did for quake and just release Doom content for free :V

i feel like they have enough money

if yr feeling munificent donate some cash to yr favourite mappers, modders, coders, runners and site maintainers

I'd probably pay for it if it happens (as unlikely as that may be). Let's just hope the usual corporate stuff won't take place. ;-D

It'd be for the nostalgic feeling of a minority of possible customers. And if Bethesda would decide to do this they'd have to cosider the interests of a lot of stakeholders. And those for sure won't be all "retro gamers".

Nah, simply because I feel the original Doom is past its prime by now, I don't see much point for Bethesda to do that.

I am hesitant to give Bethesda any money if I don't have to, as they have proven themselves to be thoroughly incompetent in most regards. Really, the community provides all the excellent content one needs, what could Bethesda of all companies offer up that would be worth any amount of money whatsoever? Doom '16 seems to be their idea of classic Doom and "returning to the roots", and look how that turned out.

"We are sorry that your AV sequel looks like a cross between The Sky May Be and lilith. We ran out of textures midway through and it was too expensive to make. We aren't planning on doing anything about it. We hope this doesn't prevent anyone from enjoying what we feel is one of our best megawads ever. As a compensation, here are 500 health bonuses."

2 hours ago, SOSU said:

They should do what machine games did for quake and just release Doom content for free :V

Making the registered/commercial IWADs (at least the original/Ultimate Doom's) finally free of charge or even PD should be the Next Big Thing for Doom, but it seems like they are going to milk them for all they're worth 'til Kingdom Come.