Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pinchy

The Alfonzone

MAP28: one of the secrets is a medikit, meaning that you cannot clear it if you aren't wounded. Consider replacing it with a berserk or other item that can always be picked up. Also once again, a pain elemental failed to teleport.

Medikit swapped to health bonuses with 1 marked as the secret. You need to get the MegaArmour to trigger that spawn, there isn't anything else on the map that can get your armour high enough to prevent it.

Me and the other people I asked don't know/can't work out how to get Sector_SetLink working so I have just textured the sides of the lift in 21 for now.

2 hours ago, Pinchy said:

Me and the other people I asked don't know/can't work out how to get Sector_SetLink working so I have just textured the sides of the lift in 21 for now.

It's pretty simple. Here, I've done it.

Alfz_MAP21.zip

This is my first wad using the jumping/ crouching feature. Lots of fun so far (at E2M2 right now).

I'm not using any other mods and my GZDoom version is g3.2.0.

It took me a while to realize that when picking up a certain item/weapon is supposed to spawn in some enemies

then it won't trigger unless I actually pick it up (as opposed to touching/ runover it).

So, if there's a shotgun pick up that would start the spawning in this won't happen if I have 100% shells.

For example in "Map05: Icy Hitman" I was still missing like 20-30 kills in the end and I got a bit confused before I

realized I had to pick up the SSG on the balcony after the first AV.

It just felt kind of buggy to me, so not sure if that behaviour is intended?

Yes, I'm playing continuously. I haven't noticed anything similar since map 5 though, so I guess I'm good..

@Marcaek: I'm not sure I fully understand the content of your link yet, but it seems to me this is meant for the mapper, not the player?

BTW: this is absolutely amazing! I was sceptical about the "enhancements" at first but boy was I wrong.

I love the whole underwater action. "MAP10: Rusty Ruin" = favorite map so far, I think I'd go there for vacation..

Edited by slimeheavy

Version 1.03

Fixes

Missing textures in 1 map
Map 5 - Elevator reworked to fix some moving sector problems
Map 15 - The plasma gun ambush now shouldn't give people flashbacks to Urania
Map 18 - Lift fixes
Map 29 - Blue skull is now flagged to appear on Easy and Medium
Map 48 - The megasphere secret area can now also be exited in a counter-clockwise direction
Map 1, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 12, 14, 16, 19, 20, 24, 30, 32, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 42, 43, 45, 46, 47, 50, 61 - Minor fixes and tweaks
Map 38 - CWILV spelling corrected
Map 43 - Additional secret flags removed
Map 45 - Minor adjustments
Map 49 - Crushers now hurt 100% of the time

Removed nearly all cases where having maximum ammo and not being able to pick up a weapon or ammo would prevent you from progressing, activating a secret or releasing monsters into the playable area

The remaining progression critical triggers moved from item pickups to sector or line triggers

TITLEPIC episode 10 image now updated to the finished version of the map, maximum rustling of the Jimmy enabled

Changes

Map 1 - Kitchen and library lift refit, exit adjusted (easier to pickup the soup for the hobo)
Map 04 - Basement Bowling renamed to About Town
Map 12 - Exit platforming now requires only running straight
Map 20 - Tunnel Toxin renamed to Toxic Terror
Map 21 - Changed pain elemental trigger so it's impossible to skip, Sector_SetLink lift
Map 25 - Shickles Origins DLC installed
Map 28 - Secret medikit swapped with health bonuses so they can always be picked up

In case anyone does no monster runs in a distant future speedrunning dystopia, the initial walls now lower immediately

Map 30 - Crypt lifts tweaked
Map 36 - Secret medikit swapped with health bonuses so they can always be picked up
Map 50 - Powerup additions to wave 10 for Easy and Medium

LANGUAGE (text screen) adjustments: Maps 4, 6 and 17

Additions

Map 04 - The town is now named
Map 18 - Additional secret
Map 49 - The automatic doors now have 100% more *sshhht*
WADINFO lump/Text file updated (work in progress)
LANGUAGE (text screen) additional content: Map 18

Edited by Pinchy : Formatting

Hi, sorry for the bump. How I missed this mapset is just beyond me. I'm up to map 9, and it's been incredibly fun so far.

On map 8, two arachnotrons in the western teleporter don't seem to want to teleport in. I found both secrets and picked every weapon up. Playing on Hard on the latest Gzdoom with the latest beautiful doom mod version (6.3.1, I believe). Please forgive me if this is not a bug, but I did try everything I could to make those two teleport in.

I'll keep playing through this whenever I have the time, so if I come across anything, I'll let you know :)

Thank you for making this wonderful mapset!

14 minutes ago, Firedust said:

Hi, sorry for the bump. How I missed this mapset is just beyond me. I'm up to map 9, and it's been incredibly fun so far.

On map 8, two arachnotrons in the western teleporter don't seem to want to teleport in. I found both secrets and picked every weapon up. Playing on Hard on the latest Gzdoom with the latest beautiful doom mod version (6.3.1, I believe). Please forgive me if this is not a bug, but I did try everything I could to make those two teleport in.

I'll keep playing through this whenever I have the time, so if I come across anything, I'll let you know :)

Thank you for making this wonderful mapset!

Hi Firedust, thanks for your report and kind words.

The only exposure this mapset had was this forum post and also one on zdoom forums. So once it falls of the first page it's pretty much gone. I've only seen a handful of people mention it since release so if you missed the streams in December it's easy to overlook.

The changes I'm working on from version 1.03 to 1.04 will change the way certain things are triggered by using custom decorate items. Currently the arachnotrons are released when you pick up one of the rockets in the yellow key room at the top of the lift, this means if you have full ammo you can't release them. I've just changed this to an unavoidable area trigger.

I'm close to getting back to work on this, I just have a community project to finish.

Yes, I had a four-month break from playing Doom when you released this. Thank god the cacoward-nomination thread exists; otherwise, who knows when I would've actually come across this?

Thanks for the heads-up regarding ammo pickups. I figured out the requirement to pick up weapons to spawn monsters in map 2, where it took me about 10 mins before I picked up the chaingun at the top floor. I'm playing continuous and I tend to try and grab all the ammo I see, but there will always be stuff I'll just walk over without triggering monsters. Glad you are changing this for the upcoming update. I hope you don't mind me posting stuff if I come across anything and I apologize in advance if what I find ends up not being a bug but just the result of me failing to pick up stuff. What I'll do for now is try and pick up EVERYTHING :)

Also, I can certainly see why a lot of people mention Going Down when talking about this mapset: it uses a similar kind of approach where new waves of monsters fill the level as the player progresses. All in all, quality stuff and I cannot wait to finish this :D

Map 20: Couldn't get the zombiemen in the four southernmost closets to teleport in. Missed one secret (got the plasma rifle - 2 secrets, the secret room with the zombiemen, and the RL ammo under the train).

Map 25: Couldn't get the 8 chaingunners in the northern closets to teleport in. No idea what triggers them. Only found the invisible wall secret in the vents. Damn, you good at hiding them.

Edited by Firedust

On 9/2/2018 at 8:20 AM, Firedust said:

Map 20: Couldn't get the zombiemen in the four southernmost closets to teleport in. Missed one secret (got the plasma rifle - 2 secrets, the secret room with the zombiemen, and the RL ammo under the train).

Map 25: Couldn't get the 8 chaingunners in the northern closets to teleport in. No idea what triggers them. Only found the invisible wall secret in the vents. Damn, you good at hiding them.

For bug reports, I recommend you send them to me using the forums message feature. I'm only up to map 6 as far as the 1.04 update goes, but that's only because I have been busy with other things, I will soon have a lot more time to focus on this again.

Map 20: These zombiemen do release but they require you pick up all three keys and wait out a timer. I just changed this to the custom decorate triggers and reduced the timer in case mods that change keys don't use a method that keeps the same Class Name.

Map 25: Similar here, the chandelier was set to refill with chaingunners on any key pickup, these have also been moved to custom decorate triggers.

Thanks for these, I'll make sure to change all key triggers to maximise compatibility.

Edited by Pinchy

4 hours ago, Pinchy said:

For bug reports, I recommend you send them to me using the forums message feature. I'm only up to map 6 as far as the 1.04 update goes, but that's only because I have been busy with other things, I will soon have a lot more time to focus on this again.

Okay, will do.

Map 20: These zombiemen do release but they require you pick up all three keys and wait out a timer. I just changed this to the custom decorate triggers and reduced the timer in case mods that change keys don't use a method that keeps the same Class Name.

That's really odd. I'm pretty sure this map took me like 20 minutes, and they did not teleport in.

Map 25: Similar here, the chandelier was set to refill with chaingunners on any key pickup, these have also been moved to custom decorate triggers.

Again, weird. I killed all the imps on the chandelier right at the start, and the chaingunners never teleported in. I wish I could say more about this but I know nothing about doombuilder at all. The mod I'm playing the wad with (beautiful doom) doesn't really change monster behavior or size, so they should be working in the same way as their vanilla counterparts.

Thank for these, I'll make sure to change all key triggers to maximise compatibility.

Version 1.04

Fixes

Map05 - Added skill 1 and 2 flags to the teleporter on the staircase
Map08 - Switch added under the shotgun elevator
Map29 - Technical adjustments for secrets
Map30 - Midtex wrapping not displaying as expected
Map38 - The exit now opens automatically, much faster and cannot be triggered from above
Map39 - Exit trigger tweaked to ensure 100% kills

Changes

All maps where possible - Item and key triggers changed to custom decorate actors to make sure they always activate
Minor WADINFO updates
Unused graphics and code removed

Additions

Par times added (previously were rough max times)
Jazzy city is now jazzier and brought friends
BRIKWORX advertisement up
Version number added to the text file

Music Updates

Map 07 - 047 Jesus Sandals.mid
Map 14 - 013 Thrummingbird.mid
Map 36 - 021 Digital Bitchslap.mid

Edited by Pinchy : Filename edit

14 hours ago, Pinchy said:

Version number moved from the file name to the text file

Does that mean you plan to have multiple versions of the file with the same file name? That's unwise because it can cause confusion, especially in multiplayer.

3 hours ago, Empyre said:

Does that mean you plan to have multiple versions of the file with the same file name? That's unwise because it can cause confusion, especially in multiplayer.

Multiplayer is not relevant because Alfonzone is not compatible with any MP Doom ports at this time.

This update polished everything up that I wanted to do so I reverted the filename as there might not be anything for a long time

Here's still hoping this wins a Cacoward next month, as it fully deserves to. Pinchy's magnum opus for Doom.

Music updates and the possibility of multiplayer at some point.

It's also good to have this version out for a while to get help with testing.

I have just found this due to its mention in the Cacowards. How could this skip my attention? Music and visuals form a beautiful amalgamation and make every level feel like a playable dream. It's rare to see something like this done in Doom, and I hope more people learn of the existence of this. A pity it only made it into the Runners Up, but at least it's an honorable mention!

Is there a place to download this other than the link in this thread? I can't seem to extract the file through that download link, it keeps giving an error.

Great wad, just a couple of things.
The secrets don't show up on the map for me when found. (tried GZDoom 4.1 and ZDoom)
Do you HAVE to jump to finish the levels?
Thanks mate.

I would apologize for resurrecting this but this wad is criminally underrated. 

I've waded through many wads over the years to find something as exciting as Valiant was for me, and few have come as close as this one. Also, that you somehow manage to keep it fresh and interesting for twice the runtime of an average wad is quite a feat.

I have never seen this one in top WAD lists apart from a name mention in the 2018 cacowards runners-up. Formerly a lurker but after just discovering this wad now, I had to create an account to leave some praise on this one.

Not to mention the music. Omg. Outstanding WAD all around. If you've been sleeping on this one you really should take it for a spin.