Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HAK3180

I'm Also Looking to Play and Record Your Maps

@AleksB

download the .wad

It’s a huge map. Almost all the rooms are way too big for the opposition in them and the level of detail put into them. The combat is easy, sometimes grindy and encouraging of skipping. I did like the area with skinny paths, revenants, and damaging floors. That looked like thought went into the gameplay, but the rest seemed to be “Let’s make the geometry of a huge map.” That seemed to be the primary goal and then as an afterthought were the detailing and the monster placement.

Bottom line: seems like a beginner’s effort to make an epic map

2 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

@AleksB

download the .wad

It’s a huge map. Almost all the rooms are way too big for the opposition in them and the level of detail put into them. The combat is easy, sometimes grindy and encouraging of skipping. I did like the area with skinny paths, revenants, and damaging floors. That looked like thought went into the gameplay, but the rest seemed to be “Let’s make the geometry of a huge map.” That seemed to be the primary goal and then as an afterthought were the detailing and the monster placement.

Bottom line: seems like a beginner’s effort to make an epic map

Thanks for playing my map!  This was my first real stab at a doom map in 17 years and i did what i could do with the new tools and ran with it. Im not too familiar with the new tools 100%.  Now i realize my rooms are too big. Making maps back then were different i guess lol.  But i appreciate the constuctive critisism and hope you atleast enjoyed it a little bit haha.  If you ever do this kind of thing again, ill send you some of my most recent ones that are alot better then this that address your findings. Well, thanks again man, great video

@meapineapple

Doomworld forum topic

This map is fun. You just run around and shoot until you’re safe or until you die. The setup is pretty good here. It allows you to maneuver just enough, but you still have to watch out and you did need to mix it up a bit. There’s also benefit to mixing up your weapon choice somewhat. I also like how supplies come with the risk of getting boxed in and probably killed.

Bottom line: Definitely a gimmick – should be fun for most

Heck yeah, that map turned out better than I expected. Though it was so sad to see you find the plasma gun only after all the enemies were gone. 

Thanks for playing! 

@xdarkmasterx

Doomworld forum topic

This wad has two obvious changes: the palette is pretty radically modified and many of the monster sound effects are changed to movie sound clips or something. I don’t think these changes do the map any favors. However, it’s a pretty good map. It’s nothing you haven’t seen xdarkmasterx do before, but a nice layout, engaging combat, and still decent visuals overpower the other gimmicks to make this enjoyable enough.

Bottom line: If you can get over the palette and the sound effects, I think you’ll have a good time.

huh it looks like your port does not show up most of the flat because there were more than one flat marker in the wad file, this how it's supposed to look

uHDo2mR.png

thanks for showing this someone else had this problem but it didn't appear in any source port i tested (zdoom, chocolate, prboom) so i thought it was fixed :)

@apatuka

Doomworld forum topic

Visually, it’s a little bland and has some pretty obvious misalignments. But the bigger issue is that this is a boss map but it’s way too easy. Once again, you’re given unlimited cells for all intents and purposes, a BFG, and an invulnerability. Invulnerability + BFG is an extremely powerful combination that will trivialize almost any encounter in Doom, so you really shouldn’t see that unless the encounter is strong enough to outlast the invulnerability and/or the cell ammo, which was certainly not the case here. I do like the concept of seeing the boss early, only to have to find it in another area, all while on a timer, but there’s no reason to have to use even half the time.

Bottom line: Another map made way too easy with the supplies.

MAP31_v0.3.wad

image.png.1f6eff9e39b150d3b46b3a4c082ee9a8.png

MAP NAME: Nested Tech (anagram and pun on Hell Revealed's MAP31: The Descent)

MAP SLOT: MAP31

MUSIC: none as of yet

DIFFICULTY SETTINGS: functional, not fully balanced

WHY DO I WANT IT PLAYED: I attempted to create a megawad in a month but I only managed to complete this map. I will definitely attempt that challenge again, but in July, and I want to see is this map a good foundation stone to build upon. It was meant to be a speedmap version of Hell Revealed, titled "Hell Reduced", where the gimmick is to re-imagine every HR map and complete it in one day, with maybe two additional ones for secret maps.

@Deadwing

Doomworld forum topic

I like the movement restriction in this one, but this is another map that lets you explore a bit before settling into what you need to do. The combat is fun and engaging. Besides the “incidental” combat, there were nice fights in the red door room and down in the lava with the pain elemental. Switches are intuitive and interactive.

Bottom line: It’s great.

Awesome, thanks a lot for the playthrough!

I'm glad the combat worked well for this one, especially in the starting area, which can be quite though! I'll fix some of the bugs you've found aside with some other minor issues. You almost found the other secret of the map (you've looked at its entrance, in the beginning, haha), but it is hard to spot it in the automap.

On 12/7/2018 at 2:02 PM, apatuka said:

Just updated the WAD with more balance and visual fixes.

http://pnix.info/uac/UACv0.9b-rev5.pk3

Thanks so much for all the feedback !

Made a final adjustment to MAP08, and MAP09 (Secret level)

Still i have a lot of things to learn, but thanks to you i learn a lot through feedback.

http://pnix.info/uac/UACv0.9b-rev6.pk3

Thank you !

@apatuka, Oh, sorry, I played it earlier today. The video will be up tonight or tomorrow. Good news though: I enjoyed this one pretty well. I didn't realize it was secret. Now it makes a lot of sense.

@meapineapple

Doomworld forum topic

It’s a well put together maze that does create an aura of anxiety or horror, if you will. It’s got one big ambush in a cliché spot, but it’s still a pretty well-orchestrated fight. It is a speed map of course, but I’d like to see a little less homogeneity in the appearance and a little more ammo.

Bottom line: I’d love to see this thing properly polished, but it’s certainly good as is

@apatuka

Doomworld forum topic

The thing that strikes me most about this map is a fun, interactive layout with windows, multiple paths, and meaningful enemy placement. There were a few questionable spots, like the early plasma gun secret and the one odd use of the blue key, but I really liked the progression of this map. The combat was suitable. A couple places could have been a little more involved and there was a somewhat prominent use of boss monsters who were necessary to kill, but they were a reasonable challenge this time, rather than a breeze because of invulnerabilities or next to impossible.

Bottom line: Probably my favorite map in the wad

10 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

It’s a well put together maze that does create an aura of anxiety or horror, if you will. It’s got one big ambush in a cliché spot, but it’s still a pretty well-orchestrated fight. It is a speed map of course, but I’d like to see a little less homogeneity in the appearance and a little more ammo.

Bottom line: I’d love to see this thing properly polished, but it’s certainly good as is

Hm, it was surprising to see you run out of ammo like that. In my playtesting I never had an issue, and it didn't look like you were using it inefficiently. Maybe it was because I usually killed the archviles faster? Anyway, I think I will add a bit more in the upcoming fix-up release. (Ammo, not archviles.)

Thanks for playing! I'm glad you enjoyed my key ambush.

@NaZa

download the .wad

I’m thinking I never played Hell Revealed Map 31 or this would have reminded me of it. HR Map 31 is called “The Descent,” and there’s certainly some of that in NaZa’s map. This thing is pretty basic, even simplistic, unfortunately. Most of the combat is not very exciting, usually due to too much space. I think it’s probably supposed to be vanilla, in which case it doesn’t look too bad, especially the outdoor areas for a speedmap. It’s a legitimate effort for presumably only a few hours of work, but it could definitely use some polish.

Bottom line: A sequence of set piece-ish fights of various worth

Thank you for playing the map!

It was meant to be limit-removing indeed, because of that the very first descent is very monotonous - it's impossible to put more teleporter destinations of the same tag, as far as I'm aware, unfortunately. The storage area is a bit dull, but I didn't put any real opposition because the player could easily just go back in the donut and kill them off. The outdoor area was meant to be circlestrafed, actually - also if you leave them and go through the teleporter they'll come after you and it can become very tense. The first few areas actually were designed to speed through them. 

As for the final stretch, yeah - the tunnel with the former humans was filler, and the archvile elevator wasn't meant for freelook... At first it was a Cyberdemon trio, but I figured BFG and rockets are a bit uhh uhh there, so I thought better of it. Besides, I like Arch-finales :D

There was a secret exit which I unfortunately forgot to tag, but you didn't miss much at all, it was only a tiny room with the exit.

I know there are problems, it was made in 4 - 5 hours. I will fix them in July or August when I get back to this.

Thank you!

@Deadwing

Doomworld forum topic

The monster count is much less than it feels because, as usual, the enemies are expertly placed so that none of them is just a gimme. That principle plays out in a pleasant cave/valley + water scene that lets you do quite a bit of running around and exploring.

Bottom line: big map, yet not that long or populated, but fun gameplay throughout

@mArt1And00m3r11339

idgames download page

Seemingly in keeping with the mapper’s style, it’s gimmicky slaughter. The arena itself is boring. It looks dull and doesn’t really have any interactive features. The combat is four waves. The first is kinda interesting and short enough. The second two are identical and could be interesting if taken together, though probably very difficult without any invulnerability spheres, which there aren’t. Taken separately, however, it is some of the most boring Doom I have ever played. And the final wave is the most interesting as your attention is divided between killing the arch-viles and making sure you get to the invulnerabilies.

Bottom line: Don’t quit in the middle; the end is alright.

Oh yeah, I turned that hole in map 3 into a secret haha so in the end you kinda discovered one secret :P I'll try to make that revenant + demons fight more interesting too. The exit outdoor setpiece is actually quite harsh, not sure if I should change it, though.

@meapineapple

Doomworld forum topic

It’s another well designed maze with a good placement of monsters, especially the roamers. It also has a decent level of detail. Conceptually, it’s very simple: get the three keys in any order and then exit. The open design helps the feel of danger everywhere you go. It’s really very similar to the previous map.

Bottom line: A brief, exciting maze

3 hours ago, HAK3180 said:

Doomworld forum topic

It’s another well designed maze with a good placement of monsters, especially the roamers. It also has a decent level of detail. Conceptually, it’s very simple: get the three keys in any order and then exit. The open design helps the feel of danger everywhere you go. It’s really very similar to the previous map.

Bottom line: A brief, exciting maze

Thank you for playing (again)! This is definitely one of the most solid maps of the wad.

That green armor tho... I think you might need to take back where you said you "have my number" as far as secrets are concerned.

@meapineapple, I went back for round 3 just to get that armor. For the first time I noticed that the path went to the left. Then I found it right away. And in turn I also found the berserk. I also got the armor boni near the beginning. I just played 8 and didn't do very well, but after that, it's on!

Hi, if you have time could you try out my map ? I released it about 2 months ago, it had pretty good reception.

Full run takes about an hour but that depends on the difficulty + good chunk of the map can be skipped. There are multiple routes to tackle the map.

There are few "FU" moments but overall I feel it is a pretty fair map. It also works fine with mods (Trailblaizer, High Noon Drifter were tested first hand).

The map has some custom enemies and skybox (credits in the .txt file).

It was tested on GZDoom v3.3.2, v3.6.0, it has jumping and crouching disabled.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/l5akb2dlhrslapw/Hydrologica.rar/file

or

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/g-i/hydrologica

Screenshots and discusion are on the ZDoom forum where I had released my map first.
(Hopefuly there is no forum rule againts linking other forums. I did not find mention of that).

Edited by Shawny : Forgot to note which port to use and info about jump/crouch.

@Deadwing

Doomworld forum topic

There are some interesting features in this map, like the presence of the outer nukage, the teleporting revenants in the hexagons, and the little tightrope maze for the yellow key. Beyond that, it’s another Deadwing map, which means well placed, but not abundant monsters and either exploration or the opportunity to choose your own path or both.

Bottom line: It’s very exciting

@meapineapple

Doomworld forum topic

The gimmick this time has to do with the lighting. Seems like a good idea for a speedmap, but I fear the speed shows up more in this one than in some of the others. The map being dark being a reason not to worry about visual detailing at all seems to be a clever idea, but it just felt a little cheap to me. And the map lacked substance. There wasn’t much to the first few monsters, even with the darkness, and after that, it was pretty fun but a little stale with just the shotgun. This map probably intentionally avoided hitscanners, but I think it could use a few. Maps 06 and 07 did a better job of creating an atmosphere of terror, in my opinion, which you would think is the goal in a dark map.

Bottom line: Short and to the point, but not my favorite

Nice! I'll try to make that soulsphere ambush more interesting, maybe adding some barriers in the exit and replacing some enemies. Hopefully it won't be there just for free haha

I'll also see if I can release an updated version of the wad later today, with some bugs fixed for the later maps :D