Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dragonfly

[FINAL RELEASE] Eviternity

Played the first ten maps so far. MAP08 is my favorite for now... or maybe MAP10. Hard to decide. I just hope these maps would never end and I'm starting to fear the exits.

On MAP10 at the very beginning you can run across this fence via a crate. Not sure if intentionally left for speed running.

Spoiler

map10.jpg.e0c9d8d03603b250fe269db5a508d4b8.jpg

13 minutes ago, SP_FACE1 said:

Played the first ten maps so far. MAP08 is my favorite for now... or maybe MAP10. Hard to decide. I just hope these maps would never end and I'm starting to fear the exits.

On MAP10 at the very beginning you can run across this fence via a crate. Not sure if intentionally left for speed running.

Hide contents

map10.jpg.e0c9d8d03603b250fe269db5a508d4b8.jpg

I'm with you on map 10, its an absolute work of art, so beautiful and so fun. an open layout done right.

So to those who's reported bugs - we thank you greatly! It turns out that even with 10+ people testing, we missed a few bugs and softlocks; and I think I personally am the cause of some major issues in the last few hours of development time, because some maps are downright broken compared to what they're supposed to be like - SORRY!

I will be working on a hotfix alongside the rest of the Eviternity team - this release will be RC2 if you will - and we'll get that out when we can, but won't rush it so that it's more stable.

In the mean time, if you find any bugs or things that don't work properly, no matter how minor - please let me know either by posting in this thread or joining the Eviternity Discord server and reporting it in the bugs channel. Thank you!

------------

40 minutes ago, SP_FACE1 said:

It's actually slower than the normal route, but it doesn't break anything so I've left it accessible; some people enjoy that kind of freedom :P

Spoiler

doom03.jpg.7f05f7bf5f04933394156e99d8ab2a2c.jpg

I want to know whether the skybox is supposed to look like this? I had this trouble quite a lot. I figured out adjusting the Field of View in GLBoom+ would change this, but it seems it's not working this time. The icy theme levels also have this problem. Maybe I missed something? Also, there's a clip on the tower.

The maps look so beautiful, and I really like the "theme" packed together so well. Oh god, I've put so many things on my wish-to-play list, so I don't know whether I can finish everything even with the rest of my life, haha.

Play the first episode/chapter on UV with saves and loving this megawad so far :)

Spoiler

I honestly wasn't expecting a new demon variant which took me by surprise on map 05 XD

On 12/10/2018 at 4:19 PM, Beezle said:

Beautiful maps, but yeah I was playing this with Random Deaths And Decorations w\ Nash Gore and came across this weird bug where after killing a zombieman or imp, their bodies would have an invisible barrier around them for minute. Didn't have this problem with Eviternity being the only item in the load order and any incompatibility with mods is no way gonna stop me from enjoying this awesome map pack. Great job, just thought you should know about that bug.

This is known issue with nashgore and some monster replacement stuff at the moment; you can fix it temporarily by deleting line 305 in NashGoreBloodPlane.zc using SLADE. (see this post: https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=62641&hilit=nashgore&start=75#p1082289)

Hey here are some screenshots I took while playing through Ep 1 and 2.  Now on Map 12 - what an amazing megawad so far!

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20181210_183805.jpg.8468ff01ac930acbd3b81599b2b1eefe.jpgScreenshot_Doom_20181210_184133.jpgScreenshot_Doom_20181210_184506.jpgScreenshot_Doom_20181210_184718.jpgScreenshot_Doom_20181210_203939.jpgScreenshot_Doom_20181210_204125.jpgScreenshot_Doom_20181210_205804.jpgScreenshot_Doom_20181211_125042.jpg

2 hours ago, eharper256 said:

This is known issue with nashgore and some monster replacement stuff at the moment; you can fix it temporarily by deleting line 305 in NashGoreBloodPlane.zc using SLADE. (see this post: https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=62641&hilit=nashgore&start=75#p1082289)

Thank you eharper256! Yeah I've also heard people saying the gore and dead monsters doing the same on elevators. Appreciate the link:)

3 minutes ago, Beezle said:

Thank you eharper256! Yeah I've also heard people saying the gore and dead monsters doing the same on elevators. Appreciate the link:)

No worries; I had the same problem as you, corpses blocked my progression in level 2 entirely and rendered it unplayable, so I thought I'd share when I saw this solution.

Also, I didn't mention before, but now having played the first two minisodes, it does seem like a very good set. I'm glad that the HNTR difficulty is managable as well; that's the biggest requirement for me, since my skill level is aggressively mediocre when compared to the average of Doomworld. XD

I just made it through the entire wad, and I can safely say that it’s one of the best doom-related projects I’ve ever played. It wasn’t perfect all the way through, but the quality of some maps blew me away. Here are my favorites and least favorites from each episode:

EP1:

Fav: MAP03 Drain

Least: MAP05 Demon

EP2:

Fav: MAP06 Reconnect

Least: MAP09 Decrepitude

EP3:

Fav: MAP13 Pathfinder

Least: MAP11 Wanderer

EP4:

Fav: MAP16 Neutralize

Least: MAP19 Dehydration

EP5:

Fav: MAP24 Gossamer

Least: MAP21 Imperishable

EP6:

Fav: MAP29 Elysium

Least: MAP27 Heliopolis

That’s more or less how I’d put it, based purely on how much fun I had with each level. But even the ones I didn’t like as much, I think are at least 8/10 maps, and I could never say that any of them are bad.

When it comes to the episodes themselves, I’d say I liked 3 and 5 the most.

Overall amazing work, and I’ll be sure to replay it in the future, probably on co-op this time ;)

5 hours ago, GarrettChan said:
  Reveal hidden contents

doom03.jpg.7f05f7bf5f04933394156e99d8ab2a2c.jpg

I want to know whether the skybox is supposed to look like this? I had this trouble quite a lot. I figured out adjusting the Field of View in GLBoom+ would change this, but it seems it's not working this time. The icy theme levels also have this problem. Maybe I missed something? Also, there's a clip on the tower.

That's definitely not intended, no.

The unfortunate reality is it that GLBoom-Plus tends fuck up skies something fierce, so my quasi-official suggestion is to either use software PRBoom-Plus/Eternity, or GZDoom if you want hardware rendering. There really isn't anything I can do about this in the map, after poking around a bit -- it's a port goof-up. :(

Also Zdoom have very cool software renderer. Eviternity works on it. But Eternity and PrBoom+ are best choices for real (not modern) Dooming. :) I have tried GlBoom+, but everything looks really flat, lights look dull.

54 minutes ago, Xaser said:

it's a port goof-up. :(

OK, this helps, although I won't use GZDoom because I may run the maps in the future. This confirmation solved some of my confusion about not being able to have the sky box in Ancient Aliens properly. Thanks.

Hi, it's me again, got another bug to report.

There is a stuck shotgunner inside the walls on map 19:

http://prntscr.com/ltu4v9

EDIT: Same map, there seems to be a missing switch texture:

http://prntscr.com/ltukvl

Also, this teleporter does not seem to work:

http://prntscr.com/ltulfm

I'm guessing these monsters were supposed to spawn on the rising platform, because literally nothing happened when I picked up the soulsphere.

Not sure about this one. I've picked most stuff up but these didn't teleport in either

http://prntscr.com/ltuly1

And this one:

http://prntscr.com/ltumo3

Edited by Firedust

Finished playing through episode 2 and still think this is awesome. Blah blah impressions.

Playing with Prboom+ UV Pistol Start

Spoiler

Map06 - Another fine map with some neat nonlinearity to back it up. I like the techbase theme and the way you sort of open up the level as you go. One problem - I couldn't figure out the exit. I was in the map for almost 20 minutes total before I gave up on that. I can't be that stupid, can I? I got through the big outdoor area but then what?

Map07 - I'm going to have to stop listing nonlinearity as noteworthy, because this set seems to have a lot of it. Which is awesome. I didn't find the Super Shotgun until a while into the level, but I never felt underequipped, which is nice. I'm glad I did find it before the big fight though. That's some of the most dangerous former human usage I've seen in a while. Also noteworthy is the lack of what would ordinarily be a crappy Dead Simple clone. What gives?

Map08 - I liked the beginning, which escalates quickly after you grap the super shotgun, and the rest of the map is pretty neat too. One minor complaint is that there isn't really a ton of health around and the damaging floor can be quite a bit annoying for me. Other than that I enjoyed the level a lot.

Map09 - More damaging floors, but with one big difference - radsuits. I really like the melee beginning, but would recommend starting by running to the hidden berserk. Enemies never seem to stay in their pain state when I use the chainsaw. I saw that BFG but I'm no secret finder and I'd basically killed everything already. It's probably more of a treat for continuous players anyway.

Map10 - Yes! This is without a doubt my favorite map so far. I love the general energy behind the level, the grand architecture, the open combat, the music, and the reveal of the new enemy, which is a truly sadistic creation. It's pretty great. I felt like it was easier than episode 1's finale, but maybe that's just my skill in close/open combat speaking.

Overall, episode 2 bumps up the quality of episode 1 in my opinion, especially the awesome finale. I really like the techbase theme and the way it is used. I still enjoy the continuity from the beginning of the WAD. It really helps it feel like a single big adventure, instead of 10 small ones. I'd also like to note the awesome music choices. Both Map05 and Map10 really stood out in their use of music to me and most of the rest is well-placed too. I'm also really loving the nonlinearity in most of the maps. It adds a lot of value and basically ensures that I'm coming back to this set again sometime to try something different.

I'm looking forward to playing this more soon.

I played through the first episode and a little bit of the first map of second episode. Really liking this so far! The new textures and skies look great and the levels flow quite nicely. The lighting especially makes the maps feel more alive, such as in map06 where the area surrounding you lights up as you hit different switches. I also like the continuity between maps. Map05 was pretty big difficulty spike but I eventually figured out how to beat it.

Congrats on release!

Just beat the fifth episode. This is a very-very good megawad. There's something I'd personally change in map 25, however. I found the fight to be somewhat underwhelming. You could easily double the number of monsters teleporting in, considering you've given the player the BFG and loads of plasma ammo. At the moment, you could just do what I did: run around like an idiot while almost never firing your guns and letting the monsters kill each other. I mean, even the cyb stayed alive by the time everything else was dead. This is is obviously just my opinion :)

Edited by Firedust

5 minutes ago, Firedust said:

This is is obviously just my opinion :)

Opinions are welcome! Thanks for your reports so far. We're tweaking stuff continuously as we read here and watch people's twitch streams, ahead of the next release version. While mostly focused on serious bugs, we also take the opportunity to tweak the little things.

4 hours ago, Firedust said:

At the moment, you could just do what I did: run around like an idiot while almost never firing your guns and letting the monsters kill each other.

That's my favorite play style! :D

Hello, great megawad, so far I have some notes (Zdoom 2.6.1):

MAP01 (maxed)

- cleanest layout and best looking one from Ep1

- nice idea with turning intertexts into whole Q1-intermission-like images

- tasty textures all the theme

MAP02 (maxed)

- probably most fun from Ep1

- shorter maps than usual megawads have = good thing, it flows quickly

MAP03 (maxed)

- I wouldnt mark backpack as a secret (and generally you do this thing, item on a ledge simply isnt enough secret to be secret)

- I like how you are being generous with plasma (including ammo) so we can enjoy it as normal weapon and dont have to save for big fights

MAP04 (maxed)

- also, thanks for not putting SSG in first 3 maps (I hate when mappers put SSG in MAP01, its OP!)

- throne model <3

- best music so far (but all tracks are good)

MAP05 (maxed)

- dont nerf it

- !!! after death exit, I am on 0% walking around in MAP06 and cant do anything

MAP06 (maxed)

- so far, best looking one from Ep2 (maybe cause its lighter and more colorful than others)

MAP07 (maxed)

- one of Chaingunners is stuck

- I am seconding the opinion that you did good decision for not dickriding Dead Simple (I hate that mappers didnt get rid of this already)

- fun part, when a lot of minor monsters open and you plasma em all

MAP08 (died)

- died 3 times, good monster placement (it starts to be hard)

- techbase theme looks like Quake 2 without having a single pixel from Quake 2 (thats not a complain, its a neutral fact)

MAP10 (not played)

- looking forward for this, cool screenshot (nice curves, sudden switch to light white/blue, and also I am hyped cause everybody says its best one)

MAP11 (died)

- actor width of trees makes them disappear

- maybe get rid of those camping Revenants, ruins fun without RL

MAP16 (died)

- interesting theme and layout

MAP19 (not played)

- seen on stream, detailing is awesome

MAP21 (died)

- this tower with chains looks good

- fun map

- I appreciate how you dont use too much Archies (even in harder maps, where 99% of other mappers would put like 10 of them)

MAP23 (not played)

- just to say the magenta looks MAD, interesting theme

MAP25 (not played)

- I like every hell map goes own way (some other themes dont have that variety), this one reminds me on one old Eternal map :D

MAP26 (died)

- second half of megawad is full of original themes, I havent seen Heaven since Eden and Hell Grounds

- !!! LAGS brutally in some rotations (and my comp is good)

- opening elevator - isnt the texture meant to be smooth transition from black to white? Looks like techbase style and doesnt fit

MAP32 (not played)

- seen on stream, again - detailing is mad

Map 26: Holy shit, a heaven theme in Doom?! Awesome! There is this weird thing I found (yes, I play with mouselook lol) with the lowering tower. It's like that as soon as it starts lowering, not just at the bottom:

http://prntscr.com/lu2g3b

Welp! GL freelook strikes again! I might to be able to cover that up with a transfer heights floor, though -- weirdly, I haven't messed with those in a while. :P

Thanks for the reports, BTW! Glad folks seem to be enjoying it... maybe anyway. If they're not getting lagged out, heh. :P

Map04: area behind timed platform is secret? Area's lines are hidden in automap, but it get's not registered as secret even when i clear and leave that area. Playing on PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4

Edit: I was able to register this secret on Zdoom. So it's buggy only on PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4 i guess.

Edited by Rimantas

MAP31: This torch is too close to the edge. It might fall over and set the whole level (or even the whole megawad) on fire. Please adhere to fire safety regulations while crafting maps.

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20181212_192556.jpg.57742d8f502125c581ee18ec1c31fe82.jpg

Question: Did you guys force infinite height actors in gzdoom?

Cause I am pretty sure I just got blocked from moving over a cliff by an enemy at the bottom of it...

1 minute ago, Chloroxite said:

Question: Did you guys force infinite height actors in gzdoom?

On 12/11/2018 at 12:23 AM, Dragonfly said:

@guitardz as Gez correctly stated, the compatability is automatically handled via ZMAPINFO in GZDoom. (Yes, that means you're stuck with infinite heights. Time to play 'real' Doom! ;)