Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KennyJC

Problems with sound

Everyone once in a while I install doom and play it for a few months out of nostalgia but now that I have this soundblaster audigy, I cant get sound in doom in windows OR dos... Mostly because I cant find dos drivers that work and I dunno why It doesnt work in windows.

However ports like Zdoom and probably doom95 work with sound, but I'd really rather play the origional..

can anyone help? or give any ideas?

thanks.

damn!

thats so lame the way companies want to make us buy new things which make older things incompatible.

You don't have to add on nescisarrily. Doom 95 was made BY ID, for just such an event, and it is a free download. So, it will enable your sound, and technically it is not a user made enhancement, so you ARE still playing the origonal game. Hell Doom 95 is what is actually used on any version of Doom you buy from ID now. So get it and enoy the origonal game! :D

Also, the Final Doom CD includes Doom95 instead of the original doom.exe.

if you can get sound in windows, chances are good you can get sound in Doom...
I am assuming you are using windowsXP??
some things to try:
try changing your output sound device to a gameport/joystick games device (if that is relevant)
use the same sound settings from a different game with Doom.
change your IRQ/DMA settings for your sound card to something in the 0-7 range.
use a dos sound test program
consult your sound card's website for help.
get VMWare and install dos.

Here's a sort of related question about sound. How do i get Zdoom to play Doom2's original soundtrack? It's always got that ROTT shit. Anyway to do this?

Lost Soul said:

You don't have to add on nescisarrily. Doom 95 was made BY ID, for just such an event, and it is a free download. So, it will enable your sound, and technically it is not a user made enhancement, so you ARE still playing the origonal game. Hell Doom 95 is what is actually used on any version of Doom you buy from ID now. So get it and enoy the origonal game! :D

Barring the deformed weapon sprites, a few other little problems, and the fact that it was made by Microsoft, not id.

Use3D, huh!?

Doom95 has it's strengths... but overall it is not even close to the quality of the advanced source ports.
here's a visual: Lennox Lewis in the PrBoom white trunks against Opulent in the microsoft-logo'd Doom95 trunks... do you think that would even last 1 round? =D

get boom, or prboom. i dont recomend useing doom95 at all. first it has more bugs than doom in DOS, second it doesnt support alot of new stuff too. doom95 has never worked on my sounblaster live.

If you are using XP then you are stuck using the pc speaker for sound unless you use a port or 95. Since Doom95 is just Doom made for Windows but exactly the same otherwise you shouldn't have a problem with that.