Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AndroidWG

[GZDoom] Custom Things' sprites appering underground + "corrupted" textures in-game

Question

I'm new to Doom mapping, but this is my second WAD. I'm trying to create an outdoor area with some greenery in an out of bounds area, so I added a tree sprite and defined an actor inside of my DECORATE lump. It took some figuring out but I eventually got a decoration that would appear in GZDoom Builder's thing menu and get no errors. Problem is that now the sprite is showing in GZDB but it's outside of it's bounding box and underground, as shown here:

B6L9jOb.png?1

On the sloped floor you can see the tip of the sprite appearing from the ground:

1pDWgQK.png

Here's its definition in the DECORATE lump:

NotGB4p.png

And its thing menu on GZDB:

FzjPpDy.png

And apparently, GZDoom crashes upon trying to test the map. It starts loading like normal but then it just freezes with this screen:

Pa05hh7.png

I tried testing the map after removing the tree Thing from GZDB and my custom textures appeared sort of corrupted in GZDoom while showing fine in GZDB. Sincerely I don't remember testing those textures inside GZDoom before so I don't know if this was here before I added in that sprite.

Rokm3Cp.png

If any of you WAD Wizards out there and figure this one out for me I'd be thankful forever.

Edited by AndroidWG : Changed title to show the other problem.

3 answers to this question

The tree thing looks like it could be missing Y offsets, so the sprite is in the floor. Change the offset so it's centered and the bottom of the tree is with the line in the SLADE preview window.

The textures thing, it could be because your textures are in F_ markers but are not Doom flats and are graphics instead. Try converting them to flats within SLADE.

Some ideas that come to mind

1. Upload your pwad for someone to look at.

It is always better to examine the actual map than looking at screenshots

2. Download The Island by Real_Trisk and load it up in Slade3 to inspect

how the trees and greenery was done

Play with an old version of GZDoom (eg gzdoom_1-8-04),

or you get a mapinfo error in clusterdef

3. https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=56521

4. Check the WIKI for how to offset sprites and textures

10 hours ago, Nevander said:

The tree thing looks like it could be missing Y offsets, so the sprite is in the floor. Change the offset so it's centered and the bottom of the tree is with the line in the SLADE preview window.

The textures thing, it could be because your textures are in F_ markers but are not Doom flats and are graphics instead. Try converting them to flats within SLADE.

Thanks a lot, it worked! SLADE was showing my tree as a generic graphic so it didn't show the offset lines for me to align and I had no idea you needed to align them.

I converted some textures that fit inside 64x64 to flats but some I left as a generic texture so GZDoom can display it properly without needing to fit those limitations.

But the crashing problem still persists when the tree is placed on the map. :/

EDIT: I just solved it lol. I just changed the Spawn properties in the DECORATE file from Loop to Stop and it stopped crashing. Thanks for the help anyways!