Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ryg

Colormap editing

Question

I want to create a colormap to use in Boom for under"water" coloring when the player is submerged in lava using linedef action 242 (Create Fake Ceiling and Floor). I have unsuccessfully tried to edit colormaps that come with BOOMEDIT.WAD. I worked with Slade but could not save the colormap after modifying because it was in "raw" format.

I tried cmaptool.exe but it's so old it needs a 32-bit environment.

9 answers to this question

Odd that raw writing is unsupported, it should be. You can always sneak around that by converting it to Doom GFX, editing, and then converting it back to Doom flat.

3 hours ago, ryg said:

I tried cmaptool.exe but it's so old it needs a 32-bit environment.

What OS are you running? If you're on Windows 7, you could always install XP Mode and run it on there.

16 hours ago, Gez said:

Odd that raw writing is unsupported, it should be. You can always sneak around that by converting it to Doom GFX, editing, and then converting it back to Doom flat.

And how would I convert it to Doom flat?

You can always export it as PNG, edit it in your image editor of choice, and then convert it back to raw bitmap (aka "Doom Flat" format)

3 hours ago, ryg said:

And how would I convert it to Doom flat?

Same way you convert it to any other format. With this little magic button: hQ7ANKO.png

You can find it on the image panel toolbar; in the Graphics menu; and in the Graphics submenu of the context menu (aka right-click menu).

Colormaps are technically treated like flats (just a bunch of paletted pixels with no metadata, dimensions can only be known by looking at the total number of pixels).

1 hour ago, Gez said:

Same way you convert it to any other format. With this little magic button: hQ7ANKO.png

You can find it on the image panel toolbar; in the Graphics menu; and in the Graphics submenu of the context menu (aka right-click menu).

I knew that conversion button. The problem is that when you use it to convert the colormap to Doom flat it reverts to the original colors after editing.

The solution I now found is to:

1) convert it to Doom Gfx

2) edit colors and save

3) convert it to Doom flat

And that did work. Thanks to all your helpful imput.

6 minutes ago, ryg said:

The problem is that when you use it to convert the colormap to Doom flat it reverts to the original colors after editing.

What happens here is that you have the "saved" data and the "work" data. When you do pixel editing you change the work data; but when you convert it converts the saved data. So you have to hit "save" before converting to copy the work data into the saved data.

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 5:30 PM, Gez said:

What happens here is that you have the "saved" data and the "work" data. When you do pixel editing you change the work data; but when you convert it converts the saved data. So you have to hit "save" before converting to copy the work data into the saved data.

And wouldn't it be nice if Slade had that explained in its help file?