Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Can't play on Nightmare

Can you play Doom 2 on Nightmare?

I couldn't pass the level 3 because of the fat guys with machine guns.

When I play on Ultra Violence, I feel myself a king shooting guys avoiding their fires and finish the game but on Nightmare, I can't move forward without getting killed. I could go as far as the level 3.

I'd say the difficulty difference between 4th skill and 5th skill is far higher than the difficulty difference between the 1st skill and 4th skill.

Biggest problem on nightmare-settings early on is lack of resources (especially blue armour is used up quickly at times) and an abundancy of hitscanners. Later maps in Doom2 might actually feel easier to survive than earlier ones for that reason.

Ultra Violence is easy but Nightmare is nothing like it. It is not playable. If Doom's Nightmare was like Heretic's 5th difficulty, then it would be playable but eneimes dont die. You shoot them for nothing. They come again after you shoot them, then you die getting shot by them. Obviously, they made the nightmare difficulty as a joke :D people who can play on Nigtmare should be rewarded by ID Software. Lol :D

6 minutes ago, Linguica said:

Tell that to @ZeroMaster010...

When I  run like that, I get killed  myself. I dont know how he can run like that without getting killed :D

He also does strange things in the game such as going throuh the wall in Level 2. He doesnt grab the red key in Level 2. He just goes through the wall. Strange. He also goes like he jumps to the exist in level 4. How does he do them?

22 minutes ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

If Doom's Nightmare was like Heretic's 5th difficulty, then it would be playable but eneimes dont die. You shoot them for nothing.

Entire point is to kill only what needs to be killed so you can move on or buy yourself some time and mitigate some damage in the process.

22 minutes ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

They come again after you shoot them, then you die getting shot by them.

Nightmare is all about playing the maps fast, it is not about racking up kills. Move quick, learn what's where.

Clearly ZeroMaster is king when it comes to playing classic Doom2 on nightmare, but others did successful nightmare runs in other WADs as well, including yours truly. It is not an insurmountable challenge, but it is extremely harsh and not all maps are suited for that difficulty to begin with.

13 minutes ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

When I  run like that, I get killed  myself. I dont know how he can run like that without getting killed :D

au contraire,

I can't. I added a new "Unholy Massacre" skill to LZDoom and RUDE with double damage and half the ammo (the opposite to ITYTD), that one is more playable.

Nightmare needs a lot of practice and planning (When to rush and when to wait especially). Otherwise progress will come to a swift halt. While it is extremely hard and definitely a joke difficulty in origin it can be done in the end. (You don't need to Iron man it like Zero)

Edited by Pegg

20 minutes ago, Pegg said:

Nightmare needs a lot of practice and planning (When to rush and when to wait especially). Otherwise progress will come to a swift halt. While it is extremely hard and definitely a joke difficulty in origin it can be done in the end. (You don't need to Iron man it like Zero)

How does he even go through the wall in Level 2 without the need of grabbing the red key to unlock the area in the beginning? I tried it 100 times and couldn't go through the wall. I always have to grab the red key.

There are a lot of strange things happening like that in his playing.

Edited by Can't play on Nightmare

I have completed Doom and Doom 2 on Nightmare, back like 15-18 years ago :D with lots of saving. It was a project and something that I wanted to complete at the time.

19 minutes ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

How does he even go through the wall in Level 2 without the need of grabbing the red key to unlock the area in the beginning? I tried it 100 times and couldn't go through the wall. I always have to grab the red key.

It is worth pointing out that those speedrunning tricks (void glide, and "simple" glide) are not required to survive the maps on NM difficulty. Knowing how to do them saves a lot of time, but if you are simply looking to survive you most likely won't need them. Straferunning and a reliable plan for each map will do more for you than you might expect.

10 minutes ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

ZeroMaster is also a master speedrunner and is incredible at it. That being said, there is a big difference between speedrunning and playing normally. As NIH said, you don't need those tricks to survive on NM. If you find UV easy, you can probably do NM as well, it may just take more practice than you might expect.

And yes, I can play Doom on NM. And no, I can't very far without dying.

I was only able to complete the episode 1 of Doom 1 on nightmare. I think the rest is too hard because you have to abuse the "save game" and "load game". In episode 2, E2M3 is hard to go through and I can't remember about episode 3. The first level of episode 4 is very hard on nightmare.

I think the farthest that I got in Doom 2 without loading and saving was level 5.

I prefer playing on Ultra-Violence with fast monsters. When the monsters respawn, it makes it the hardest because you can't take your time to complete a level.

The respawning monsters just force you to play faster. If the monsters respawn once then fine, it happens. If it is the 2nd or 3rd respawn you are playing too slowly and will die. One thing that might get overlooked is that nightmare has double ammo on. DON'T SAVE CELLS AND ROCKETS AMMO.

Edited by Pegg

4 hours ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

people who can play on Nigtmare should be rewarded by ID Software. Lol :D

I agree with this, preferably a large sum of cash.

Anyways, nightmare is all about having a plan and knowing where to go.

I think next you should do UV -Fast.

That technically is the same as UV, but the monsters are faster. Unlike in NM, they do not respawn.

Or you could do UV -Respawn which is normal UV, but the monsters will respawn. ANY monster.

I can beat the 1st episode of Doom 1 on Nightmare difficulty, but it's not fun because you're pretty much forced to speedrun due to respawning enemies.  I'm sure I can get pretty far in Doom 2 seeing as I played the shit out of that game on Ultra Violence, but I just feel it's wrong to blast through such a fun game as fast as you can. 

Nightmare is basically one of those "fuck you" difficulties where the game gets stupidly hard, much like Halo 2 on Legendary. UV will always be the true Doom difficulty imo.

Can you play Doom 2 on Nightmare?

Yes I can, when I can...although, it takes time to get accostumed to it.

If you think regular Ultra-Violence is easy, try out the -fast parameter. Projectiles are 2x faster

1 minute ago, Juza said:

If you think regular Ultra-Violence is easy, try out the -fast parameter. Projectiles are 2x faster

A good example are found in Heretic and Hexen. Fast monsters but no respawn.

It is definitely playable, it requires a lot of practice and patience (something i dont have). I can kinda play it, but since i'm bad i abuse saves a lot. I don't play Doom for the challenge though so most often i play on Hurt Me Plenty

16 hours ago, Juza said:

How can I even try Ultra Violence with fast enemies? There is no such difficulty level in the game. After  regular Ultra Violence, comes Nightmare in the game?  Is it a diffrent version of Doom games? There is no such difficulty level in normal Doom games.

Edited by Can't play on Nightmare

8 minutes ago, Can't play on Nightmare said:

How can I even try Ultra Violence with fast enemies? There is no such difficulty level in the game. After  regular Ultra Violence, comes Nightmare in the game? There is no such difficulty level for me to choose in the beginning of the game.

Here is where command line arguments come in:

C:\your_directory_path_here\your_sourceport.exe_here -iwad doom2 -fast -skill 4 -warp XY

Alternatively, you could replace "-fast" with "-respawn" to have respawning monsters, but they will be slower than on NM. Nightmare is basically UV, but with -respawn and -fast plus double the ammo

Edited by Nine Inch Heels