Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Plusw

I will commentate your maps! Level design analysis/critique.

As some others have already done, I will play, record, and commentate maps posted to this thread. The commentary will focus mostly on level design critique and analysis but I'll talk about aesthetics as well.

My preferred port is Prboom+ but I will play zdoom format maps as well. Please submit shortish maps. (<1hour preferred) Thank you!

currently uploaded commentaries:

Edited by Plusw

Oh that's actually a nice service, especially for newbies like me. Additionally that will be an interesting YouTube channel to follow. Lemme check your video out, real quick..

If possible :D

Each map should take 5-10 minutes to finish, so I think playing the first 4 maps would be already awesome :D

Looks like fun. 

I've got a couple for you from a work in progress. It's got ten maps, but I'm just looking for Map 03 and Map 10 at the moment. PrBoom+ or ZDoom. It's just limit-removing.

Not very hard. 10 minutes each, give or take. No rush.

Here's the .wad

Here's the Doomworld thread 

Good luck with the videos. 

this is technically less than an hour, but most people finish this after around 50-55 minutes

i always like seeing people play "boxes all the way down" though: bon_boxes_v8b.zip

(it was made with a very limited, randomly selected texture set for a now defunct project)

if that's too long for you, i have a much shorter very special demo i made a few months ago that didn't get much feedback aside from one or two demos that i would love to see be played with commentary: birthday_demov3.zip

(read the .txt file with it for some notes, also i recommend playing this in glboom+ over prboom+ if possible, as software rendering has tons of slimetrails)

both maps are -complevel 9, and the special map has been slightly updated specifically for you, friend. please note that i enforce some pretty serious ammo balance in my maps, so you'll likely have to make every shot count.

if you cant play both, i'd much rather see you play the special map over boxes all the way down. okay thank you c:

Thank you for all of the maps guys! I'll try to find some time to record all of these but it may take a bit to get through, apologies.

I'd absolutely love to see some gameplay footage of the newly released Eviternity. Thanks in advance for taking the time to play, if you do! :)

I'm glad you're enjoying my wad, I really liked watching your playthrough :D

About MAP02, there were teleports in the damaging water, just behind the platforms, so you didn't notice them. If you know about them, it might be easier to cheese that level, if it gives you trouble, just saying. There's also a secret chaingun on one of the ledges.

Plusw, nice idea!! :D

I would be interested in some feedback for my Boom maps from Bloodspeed (map 29) and Eviternity (map 19). These are quite large maps, lasting about an hour. It is difficult to say whether they are suitable for letsplays ... I hope it will be good expirience.

By the way, I'll be glad to see your letsplays for any maps thom both projects.

Why not. I'd love it if more people played my stuff. Here is my WAD that uses Doom 3 for Doom 2 textures. It is a long-ish map that has survival horror but still action-packed. It is designed to be played without running but you may ignore that if you wish. The new version is not on the Downloads section yet.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jOG7iliv9ZCdiVc-g9gqvzuIgi2fTEzJ

@Deadwing Great maps! Can absolutely feel the Plutonia. The chaingunners hurt so good.

Spoiler

Sorry about the pace of these videos guys. I got way more maps than I anticipated and I'm trying to work through the backlog. Currently I'm doing a first come first served kind of thing but I may end up skipping a couple of the longer submissions for now to try to catch up. Apologies in advance.

I love the way you review maps. I can learn a lot from this. I hope you will play my map and I can't wait to see you play if you do.

That's amazing! Thanks a lot for the playthroughs and commentaries! :D
As @DooM_RO said, the way you review is a lot enlighting!

I'm glad you've enjoyed the maps, although they behaved a lot harder and intense than I was expecting! In map 1, I wasn't expecting that arch-ville teleport to work that way. It was indeed pretty evil haha Map 2 has a very intense start, but again, I wasn't expecting to be that hard, I usually just keep running until I find a safe spot (like the boxes in the arachnotron small platforms). Maybe it might be interesting for me to pace some moments better (removing some tougher enemies in some areas).

Go ahead, make my day.

Levels at completion of full playability are E1M1, E1M2, E1M7, E2M2, E2M5, E4M7 and E4M9.
Only tested with ZDoom, but Boom-based ports should be able to handle them as well (I think?)

[EDIT] Oh, sorry. I also have MAP17 in Five Rooms of Doom. A note about it, though...

Spoiler

There's a shootable switch secret in the tiny blue-carpet library room. You have to take advantage of the SSG's vertical spread because no other weapon can activate it. I was quite dumb when I made that setup, not thinking of its potential drawbacks.

Edited by Cell

I'd really like to see these maps commentated in that way.

They're quite long so you may not want to give them priority over the others.

PS: Boost your microphone volume slightly, it's a little low in the videos I've watched.

Many thanks for playing and all your valuable insights. On Map 03, you said something like "is it my fault for getting lost?" You did, in fact, walk past that area with the switch about half a dozen times before deciding to check it out, but I certainly noticed some things that could contribute to confusion that I'll be aiming to tidy up: that area could be a little more inviting. The red switch actually raises the nukage halfway. You didn't see it happen because you were preoccupied with the arch-vile. It's only about 24 units, so you didn't notice just by looking at it later either. Then the other switch was behind the crusher, so you didn't see it happen then either because you were trying not to get squished. I'll have to find ways to make that more obvious/easier to watch the switch action. I'm glad you enjoyed Map 10. Unfortunately, I made major forward mapping strides before these two, so the rest of the wad is pretty clearly inferior quality, but we're working on it!