Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
memes4lyfe

does quake 4 have any software rendering?

i'm asking because my intel atom cpu from 1812 pretty much sucks and i'm wondering if  software rendering will make i easier to run without too much lag. is there at least a mod that enables quake 4 to run less terribly on my worthless processor?

33 minutes ago, memes4lyfe said:

does quake 4 have any software rendering?

HAH

No. Very much no. No to the Nth degree.

12 hours ago, memes4lyfe said:

i'm asking because my intel atom cpu from 1812 pretty much sucks and i'm wondering if  software rendering will make i easier to run without too much lag. is there at least a mod that enables quake 4 to run less terribly on my worthless processor?

If it's your CPU (and only the CPU, not the GPU) that sucks, then software rendering would be even slower than Hardware rendering (if quake 4 ever had sw renderer).

See Fraggle's comment above for some help.

Even quite good CPU's tend to lead to very unpleasant results when software rendering is forced to fill in for hardware accelerated games. The only time I'd imagine it could benefit is if someone has a decent CPU but a GPU that straight up doesn't support the API the game uses, and even then don't expect a good experience if it works at all.

Quake *3* didn't even have any software rendering. Quake 4? Forget it.

Maybe you can run it on a Voodoo though!

It's based on the Doom 3 engine, which required a GPU of some sort, and only used hardware rendering. At the time of release Doom 3's specs were, I think, that it required at least a 64MB GPU, which I balked at since I only had a 32MB TNT 2 card. Quake 4 had even higher requirements.

It reminds me of a time in the mid to late 90s where Walmart said it wouldn't carry any game that required a dedicated GPU, and that quickly changed. Hell, I was upset when I found out Diablo 2 would require at least an 8MB GPU; although I think they changed that and added a software mode. This was 20 years ago, so my memory is a bit fuzzy.

18 hours ago, Teivman said:

Get a new damn computer you knob. You can get pretty decent computers online for a few bucks.

i literally got it in a cereal box for my birthday.

You can set the graphics to low and then type in the console (without quotes) "r_singlelight 1" and then i think "r_sb_noShadows 1" "r_shadows 0"  not sure, it's been a long time since i last did this.