Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
peach freak

Secret Exit Switch in Doom E3M6

I've noticed that the position of the secret exit switch in E3M6 of Doom is different when viewing it in 3D Mode in Doom Builder vs. Vanilla Doom. In Vanilla Doom, you can see it's at the top of the blue box, while in Doom Builder (the picture is from the Doomsday source port, but it looks that way in Doom Builder as well, I just had the picture on hand) is sunk into the ground.

What causes the switch to be rendered differently? It is Lower Unpegged.

e3m6switch-chocolate.png

e3m6switch-doomsday.png

I believe this has something to do with the application of offsets and unpegging, or rather the order. I noticed once when modifying a vanilla format level that if the Y offset was set as well as lower unpegged, the position and apperance was different between Doom Builder and ZDoom. Not sure why it happens but it has something to do with that if I had to guess.

Ah, thanks for the explanation, although I did look back at this switch in Doom Builder and while it is Lower Unpegged, there is no X or Y offset on the texture.

It seems different from either of the issues here: none of the patches have a negative offset, and it's not a masked midtexture.

My guess is that they wound up changing something in the code that causes the engine to draw it differently compared to Vanilla.

Does this happen in Chocolate Doom as well? If not, then I'd say my hunch is probably correct.

I just checked it in GZDoom (a fairly recent SVN build of it), and it's drawn properly.

Screenshot_Doom_20181213_213337.png

EDIT: GZDoom Builder Bugfix also shows it at the correct position.

image.png.0b95af636995fc98de806f46b5cfbc8a.png

PPS: Hi, peach freak. You may remember me. :)

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 9:35 PM, Dark Pulse said:

My guess is that they wound up changing something in the code that causes the engine to draw it differently compared to Vanilla.

Does this happen in Chocolate Doom as well? If not, then I'd say my hunch is probably correct.

PPS: Hi, peach freak. You may remember me. :)

In Chocolate Doom, yes, it is displayed correctly. The only areas that I've seen it drawn incorrectly are Doom Builder 2 and Doomsday (although I did submit a bug report to Doomsday for it, so we'll see if it gets corrected).

And hi, I think I do remember you. You were Pulse on GameFAQs, right? I've seen you posting a bit here recently, so you definitely did look familiar.

10 hours ago, peach freak said:

And hi, I think I do remember you. You were Pulse on GameFAQs, right? I've seen you posting a bit here recently, so you definitely did look familiar.

You've got it. A relic of my past. Although now I think I'm there under the same nick as everywhere else.

As for Doom Builder 2, see if it happens in Doom Builder X as well, since we know DB2 isn't being updated anymore. DBX is its successor project of sorts, much as GZDoom Builder Bugfix is the successor of the GZDoom Builder fork off DB2.

It appears to be because the ceiling is sky. change it to non-sky and in chocolate doom it renders in the lower position. I can remember having to alter ceiling heights a lot with some maps as they rendered lower unpegged differently at times to what was shown in the editor.