Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dmslr

Which OpenGL port has the most vanilla experience?

I'm a newcomer in doom-gaming. I just want to choose a source port for playing SP of Doom and Doom II

Technically speaking, Chocolate Doom uses OpenGL for scaling output to your native screen size. Though, I assume widescreen and high-resolution is being sought, in which Gez has the correct answer. :)

Just about every port that's worth using uses SDL for graphics, which, if I remember right, is just a cross platform wrapper of sorts of OpenGL stuff.

OpenGL is wrong choice for vanilla experience. Sure, you can disable filter for textures and sprites, but everything will still look dead and flat without fake contrast. Also OpenGL have poor pixel lightning. Doom was created and designed on Software Renderer so looks BEST on it. Anyway GLBoom+ would be best GL Doom vanilla-like port.

My advice: play with Chocolate Doom first, to see and feel what is real vanilla Doom. Then i recommend Eternity Engine or PrBoom+ (it's not that hard to fall in love with Software Renderer :))

Depends if you're looking for an experience with filtering or not.

If so, GLBoom is likely your best bet.

Otherwise, you might want to try out QZDoom or GZDoom, which have truecolor software renderers, though their vanilla capabilities can be... questionable.

15 hours ago, Rimantas said:

OpenGL is wrong choice for vanilla experience. Sure, you can disable filter for textures and sprites, but everything will still look dead and flat without fake contrast. Also OpenGL have poor pixel lightning. Doom was created and designed on Software Renderer so looks BEST on it. Anyway GLBoom+ would be best GL Doom vanilla-like port.

My advice: play with Chocolate Doom first, to see and feel what is real vanilla Doom. Then i recommend Eternity Engine or PrBoom+ (it's not that hard to fall in love with Software Renderer :))

Yeah mate. Software picture looks pretty good. But I couldn't cope with only-horizontal mouse look. It was too difficult to me because of habit thing. So I tried some port with software renderer and the vertical look feature and was surprised how it changed the dimensions. Then my friend suggested GZDoom. There was no problem with full mouse look in this port but I find it too modern for the game of 1993. So, that's why there's the topic. Thanks to Gez I tried glboom+ and I was amused. And yeah, I had turned off any kind of filters.

And just want to say... damn, this game is so pleasant to play :)

P.S. sorry for my bad English

Horizontal-only view, learning how autoaim does work (working distance, edges clipping) is Doom's experience. Freelook makes everything way too easy. :)

I looked for autoaim option in glboom+ but couldn't find, so it's turned on. I approximately know how doom's autoaim works. Full mouse look is preferred because I willy-nilly want to look up or down, especially when you need to descend from height