Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

Balance between talking a lot and talking sense

@Linguica is here to always talk sense. I am here to talk a lot. He is the Rock to my Urban.

57 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

It is why I tend to have a distaste for the likes of certain posts on Doomworld (considering that the latter had a imbalance between how much was said and how much sense it made).

How does "Latter" make sense here? What's the "Latter" thing here?

56 minutes ago, Cacodemon345 said:

Looks like some modified copy-pasta shit of my other thread lol.

You don't say xd.

On topic, there isn't anything wrong with talking a lot, it's only when you start spewing nonsense and trash-talk that you should worry. Or are irritating.

In my opinion a forum exists mainly for people to actually "talk", preferably with each other. In this sense I think it is quite okay to talk "a lot". Of course it would be nice, if most of it also makes sense, but seeing that this is an international group of people, I understand, that some have a different linguistic background and might not be able to compose their posts accordingly. In that case a little "What do you actually mean?" might help and entice the poster to rephrase his statement.

Uhm... yeah. Other than that, I must confess that I dislike people in real life, who constantly talk, but with very little "content" or "meaning". They constantly repeat things or fill their speeches with unnecessary vocabular and thus ending up wasting 15 minutes of your time for something that could have been said in 2 sentences.

Glorious.

I might as well throw in my two cents while I'm here.

There's a difference between just talking (talking a lot, in this case) and communicating (talking sense). It's very possible (as we all know) to say a whole lot and convey no information whatsoever.

Communication (that is, talking sense) is a two-piece structure. For it to work, one side has to speak, and the other has to listen. That said, all the listening in the world can be of no use if the speaker isn't making their point clearly, or if the listener otherwise can't make sense of what's being said.

So yes, there should be a balance, but there seems to be a bit more weight on the side of "talking a lot."

23 minutes ago, Aquila Chrysaetos said:

So yes, there should be a balance, but there seems to be a bit more weight on the side of "talking a lot."

Talk consistently and necessarily. More words added to it results in....complications....

That's funny OP because this is something that I have been thinking for a while now.

How important is the balance between talking a lot and talking sense in your opinion? Personally, I feel like people should talk quite a bit and also say reasonable things and I am not for imbalance between how much you talk and how much sense what you say makes. It is why I tend to have a distaste for the likes of certain posts on Doomworld (considering that the latter had a imbalance between how much was said and how much sense it made). I don't really care if there's an imbalance between how much someone talks and how much sense it makes.

11 minutes ago, Rimantas said:

I wasn't very serious by offering Doomkid to create this topic. I just wanted to bite one topic for some nonsense in it. :)

Well, you made it. Congratulations. Your idea led to this...

Credit goes to you and Doomkid. ;)

6 hours ago, Doomkid said:

How important is the balance between talking a lot and talking sense in your opinion?

I'm a man of few words IRL, so when I talk I talk sense. I have no way of knowing if I am annoying IRL so I don't talk a lot when I do.

I believe this is an interesting topic and needs more investigation.

Got to know a person IRL whom I'd best describe as a "makeshift journalist". Which means that he could at any time from any source and topic (preferably of no significant interest whatsoever) craft entire walls of text. That isn't supposed to be amazing per se, but he did it in such way that "common plebs" could actually perceive them as some sort of intellectual observation on that certain issue.

Of course, anyone with a better understanding on how articles and accounts should actually be made could see through this paper-thin disguise of over-the-top bullshitting about a topic that the author may not even know the finest details about, thus rendering it non-authentic at best or making a complete fool out of themselves at worst.

Funny thing is, when I pointed the faulty nature of his writing methods out for him going into painfully meticulous details, he countered me with the reasoning "Anything that doesn't live up to the definition of word salad is very well considered talking sense". To prove him wrong, I chose to share this video with him:

I haven't heard of him ever since, and as far as I know, he hasn't published any further articles either.

P.S. I believe he (I mean the author, not Barrymore) was the perfect showcase of a certain saying that goes: "Say something only if your words make more sense than silence itself".

Edited by Cell

Talk as much as you want. There isn't a rule to follow. Just don't expect people to sit and watch you say nonsense and never tear it apart. Now if one receives all kinds of criticism as shit talking and personnel attacks there is a bigger problem they need to work on. This is especially prevalent in fields people are usually exposed to BUT never worked or learned anything about. 

Common topics people shit talk all the time even if they have no idea what they are talking about:

A) Digital vs traditional art : No, The computer doesn't do everything. It provides tools that speed up the process, hence why they are worth learning. They also make animations much smoother than redrawing everything nonstop. (Cue "but hand animated looks much better" arguments; Of course they look better than the majority of digital animations just because they were done to save money and time)

B) Insert music genre, preferably Metal and Dub, taking no skill to make : Similar to A. Even if you have the most expensive instruments, tracks and programs at your disposal, you won't do anything if you have no idea how things work together.

C) Programming : Oh god I won't even talk about this one.

D) Everything around the development and marketing of games. On every single component of the game. 

And that's not even scratching the topics that drive people into rage induced frenzies instead of participating in discussions.

I talk extremely little, but whenever I do open my mouth, sensible things come out. Most of the time.

The title reminded me of this scene from one particular book:

Winston turned a little sideways in his chair to drink his mug of coffee. At the table on his left the man with the strident voice was still talking remorselessly away. He held some important post in the FICTION DEPARTMENT. It was just a noise, a quack-quack-quacking. Every word of it was pure orthodoxy, pure Ingsoc. Winston had a curious feeling that this was not a real human being but some kind of dummy. It was not the man's brain that was speaking, it was his larynx. The stuff that was coming out of him consisted of words, but it was not speech in the true sense: it was noise uttered in unconsciousness, like the quacking of a duck.

The OP was confusing me as I make a distinction between talking in real life and writing on a forum.

I have already meantioned this but I come from a land where you do not talk very much. Or at all mostly, because of social and cultural norms. This is something I think people here haven't touched upon in this thread, and my opinion is of course coloured by growing up in this enviroment:  I always got one chance to make sense, two until I turned eighteen.

Yet, when people happen to talk and I am infront of them I am sometimes asked why I am so quiet...

Writing posts like this, I always try to make sense. Here I also overall feel I can be more free to miss the point when writing posts and "talking" to people.

Over the years, I have come to realize forum posting is inherently 2D communication (as opposed to 3d which is talking face to face). I also think you should write every post here as if everybody else has images turned off in their browsers -this is something I believe people today have forgotten. I am a bit old fashioned in this way, as I started posting on forums just after old style bulletin boards faded away.

I am modest when I say I think can combine a couple of writing styles. I mostly post here in a rambling train-of-though - like now. Somewhere on my user profile I posted a public message as a causerie. About peanutbutter. Then I learn the term and style is unknown in the english speaking world according to wikipedia.

Go figure.

I love that this absolutely ridiculous thread actually resulted in some genuinely interesting posts!

11 hours ago, NeedHealth said:

Over the years, I have come to realize forum posting is inherently 2D communication (as opposed to 3d which is talking face to face). I also think you should write every post here as if everybody else has images turned off in their browsers -this is something I believe people today have forgotten. I am a bit old fashioned in this way, as I started posting on forums just after old style bulletin boards faded away.

Yes, totally agree. In my opinion the inability of some people to actually consider let alone work around this, leads to most of the "flame wars" on the internet. When replying to someone you just have to adjust your style of communication, because body language - a very integral part of communication - is missing. Otherwise people get either confused or downright angry at you and while some people actually want that, I guess most don't. A lot of drama could be avoided, if people just remembered to simply compose their online texts a bit more careful.